MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback,Automatic,Mello Yellow
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today was the day I Re torque my cylinder head. The products I will be using today are Arp bolt lube and bolt Security check paint which is optional of course.
005.JPG
On to it I used my 1/2 drive with a extension and adapter to 3/8th with a 16mm socket for my ARP Cylinder head studs with bolts. It has been roughly over a 1000 miles probably closer to 2000 miles. The interval for this is pretty loosely based on how the one doing wants to do it. You can go for 1000 days then Re torque you can wait 24 hours then re torque. Or in my case about 1000 miles.
001.JPG
I started by using just a drop of ARP lube in between the seam of the bolt and thread; with the 1st bolt in the ARP sequence I loosen the bolt 1/4 turn then I grab my torque wrench ; that is set at
72 pounds and torque the head, at this point this is the first stage of the re torque; as the final ARP torque spec is 75 pounds. At the 72 pound torque I dicovered that bolt 4 was loose and that bolt 6 was under tension.
003.JPG
After I go through the entire sequence of 10 bolts. I double back in my case I want to use both torque wrenches I have to Cross examine the bolts. Setting the torque wrenches at 75 ft. pounds.
Now that I am finished I want to use security check paint for bolts. It can be sloppy so I spent about 20 minutes lightly dabbing the paint until I was just a faded mark.
006.JPG
Now that I am complete with this part of the job I will move on to assembling the rest of what I have to sense I installed my new mishimoto radiator hose kit. That being said I felt confident in my re torque as I had completely drained the coolant of the system using a air hose on each item in the system as I was removing hoses. Engine block and long heater hoses holding the most coolant. I also removed my heater core and drained that also due to me using the radiator fill tool which requires zero coolant in the system. I.E. so a new heater core hardware kit was installed when re installing the heater core.

·
Registered
532 Posts
you shouldn't need to with ARP but yes you can as they're not TTY

·
Premium Member
2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback,Automatic,Mello Yellow
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aluminum expands quite a bit when it is hot. One thing I failed to mention in the description of it here. No matter when you do it make sure the cylinder head is cold.
As far as another procedure. Yes with ARP bolts I can and do. Perhaps that is why they have standard torque to yield bolts. I did find a couple loose ones anyway!(after this re torque I have not read anyone saying it is a lifelong process of dealing with having to go in and re torque; this being the final time) and in the future with them all marked. Whenever I pull the valve cover for whatever reason will know. Not only is that mark between the bolt and the stud. It also faces inward direction. Because the bolt and stay on the stud and not move nor break the paint mark because the stud itself stands a chance to move.
One of the lesser mentioned things in ARP instructions and the way most do that. Finger tight on the studs or some soft amount of torque. don't quote me. Like 5 and half foot pounds or 70 inch pounds something light. I add a touch of torque on my studs. In the end that is a double edge sword, hence most only finger tightening them.

·
Registered
532 Posts
best to leave ARP studs 1/2 turn out or so, up to 1.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts