MINI Cooper Forum banner

301 - 311 of 311 Posts

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
or maybe its been cooked and thinned the oil and that had damaged bearing surfaces in head or and that camshaft perhaps,,, have you any pics of old big end bearings by anychance

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #302 ·
I still have them I think yes. I find them out and get photo.If I remember,I don't think they was to bad as in no scoring marks of concern.
Maybe if I take wet n dry a bit more to the end cap that holds the oil rings might give it chance of sealing the oil in.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #303 ·
Few big end bearings. And how the 4 pistons looked on removal. Wether you can tell by looking at them as to what state the engine may have been in Im not sure. Cheers

PXL_20210311_144316274.jpg PXL_20210311_144325426.jpg PXL_20210311_144308714.jpg original_3b6826bd-6efc-46ad-b396-1a866e1023d2_PXL_20210311_160805227.jpg

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
that end bearing was that conrod side of bottom side,, its the conrod side that gets all the abuse when run low of oil and can give me a idea to if was oil starved ,, going by that one wear is tiny ie good, but would need to see the rod side if its one ,

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
i got a job is at mo with a audi S1 guy bought car private sale car ran ok until he opened it up then thrown timing faults i diagnosed first off with live data as that issue then found that the past owner had welded the head next to the camshaft journal that hoses the camshaft adjuster ie like vanos on bmw and this was so damaged it done the engine,,, hmmm over 4k for a mow miles complete engine that cost him, plus my time over best part of 3 days , as front off car job,

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
deffo oil starved at some point of its life for those to be like that the camshafts would of been even more starved ie the journals would bleed to much pressure away from the vanos timing ,, i would take a punt on the crank mains not being to good either as they take all the load all the time as such where big ends get most wear on top rod bearings and the top edges of crank,, below pic from a honda engine same thing bottom of crank looked fine where top was destroyed

20210402_135445.jpg

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
they tend to wear the bearings more than the crank as crank is very hard , dont take much over a number of journals ie each wears 0.005mm adds up to some oil pressure loss and loss of flow,, but where these engines get really hurt is when run on low oil to point light comes on at this point the camshafts will be be more starved or oil than the crank will,, so theory is if bearing look like they have been run with dirty or lack of oil at some point it will wear the camshafts and head or at very least the camshafts where the oil control rings for vanos are ,, ie even after new rings the camshaft its self is still worn and bleeds off the pressure ,,, have seen a few people on this forum have same issue with cooked or oil starved engines and ended up changing the head complete with camshafts,,, worth one last punt try putting a couple of secondhand shafts in or just the one that flags up,,, but would suspect both shafts would be in same state and after sporting one out the other would start playing up ,, hand a chat today with a car tech about how bad these faults are with these cars around 2006 onwards and stuff cropping up that cant plan for,

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #310 ·
What condition I guess is available. I guess I need some from a engine with no running faults before it was stripped down for parts. Would i need caps or just the 2 oil ring ones.
What have you got available and a price. I cant message you as I'm blocked from doing so. Cheers

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
i have got and inlet and exhaust cam shaft from a Peugeot 308 vti ie same engine that was driven in to a flood had 52000 miles on clock when i broke it . try again see if you cant private message me, i will private message you see if you get it or not,

301 - 311 of 311 Posts