MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Wee Man
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if u could help me, ave just checked my car and a think the cylinder head gasket has just went, a just checked the oil filler cap and it seems to b a little gunky as if water has got in! wat dmage can this cause, i phoned a friend at bmw and can get a nearly new cylinder head for £ 50

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
Why would you want a nearly new head??

If you remove the filler cap and it looks grey/milky colour then id stop running it until you have replaced the head gasket. Parts required : New oil, Coolant/Antifreeze Mix, Head gasket, Head Bolts and Cam Cover gasket. Even if you do it yourself it isnt going to be less than £200+.

·
Just been Clubbed!
379 Posts
That gunky doesn't always mean head gasket. It depends on what sort of journeys you do. If you mainly do short journeys then things dont get very hot so this leads to condensation forming water and hense the gunk on filler cap.
Are you losing coolant?

·
Wee Man
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
my header tank for the water was a really thick and dirty too and had raised al the way to the top, it started to over flow thts how a noticed there was a problem! it was losing coolant but not in large measures! a dnt really know wat damage has occured yet coz wen i drove it bak home last nite it didnt lose any power, i mostly do street drivin too!! a was just pricin up 4 the worst case

1 - 4 of 4 Posts