Registered
2013 2 door Mini Cooper hardtop
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Crankset Sports equipment Automotive design

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting Gas

Font Rectangle Screenshot Number Parallel

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Magenta

2 months ago my check engine light came on after using the sport mode on the highway along with that the vehicle also started to shake I'd say a little more than mildly shaking or maybe a vibrating type of feel. Once I was parked I shut the car off for about 15 minutes or so started to back up to go to where I was going check engine light proceeded to stay on as well as the shaking/vibrating after about 10 minutes into the trip check engine light went off vibrating and shaking stopped. In between then and now the only other symptoms that I've noticed with the vehicle have been when it's in idle it seems to periodically have this thud sound it's not like a jolt but definitely like a thud like it's tripping up on itself or something. This also does occur when driving but only when trying to kick it up to a higher speed I was suppose you could say that it seems as though it's delayed when trying to go at a faster speed if I am being careful driving I can almost time it right while pressing the acceleration. I don't know if that makes any sense?? Just a couple days ago check engine light vibrating the vehicle started again this time it did not go off and it is permanently on. This also happened after I had it in sport mode which is the only time I have used it again since the first time all of this happened. Upon using the fixed Bluetooth obi sensor scanner the report that came back was a cylinder one misfire. Trying to do a process of elimination so based off of everything that I read it could be something related to a carbon buildup so I took a chance and bought the Sea foam stuff and have only put it in my fuel tank was attempting to maybe do an entire treatment but have refrained from putting it in the oil or down the vacuum hose until I get some further advice on what I was able to see visually upon popping the hood. I popped the hood and the cover over the ignition coils because I was going to try to swap the cylinder one with cylinder 2, do the obi sensor scan see if I can't diagnose it that way if in fact it's a the coil. I had the spark plugs replaced a year and a half ago or so but did not do the coil packs. Upon examining visually I could see that the cylinder one coil looks to have some sort of expansion underneath the rubber flap that goes around area that the coil goes in I suppose you could say it looks as though something has melted? And I literally cannot remove it. I can say that it's different from the others just based off the way it looks I don't know shit about cars but everything I've seen online and watching the videos they all seem to have little to no issue removing these coils I have not tried or messed with it too much trying to get it out because I'm not sure how delicate they are or how aggressive I can actually be without damaging it further I also can visually see that in between every other coil pack there's like smaller little holes or cylinders and inside them they have a screw it looks as though there is liquid in there not a lot but there is something I need to know what the hell I should do here I'm fucking broke and cannot afford a serious bill from a mechanic if this is something I can resolve myself I don't give a shit how long it takes I'll do it but I really cannot afford something outrageous here so given what I was able to see I want to say is it safe to assume it's cylinder one and not something beyond that?? I can't afford a tow truck I'm just seriously in a bind right now I don't know what to do my car is my lifeline it's all I have and I just really need some genuine help here .... I would also like to add that upon the light and the vibrating / shaking happening a couple days ago today is the first day that I have turned the car on I have not driven it and noticed that the engine light is still on but there is no shaking or vibrating while the car is in idle there is a thud here and there but nothing out of the ordinary

I figured I would post this and just kind of wait to see what anyone says and also would like to know if I should proceed with the sea foam treatment in oil and vacuum hose. I've attached some pictures of what I am seeing underneath the hood as well as the reading that came back for what I can assume is like all the gauges and pressures and whatever when I use the scanner I don't know that they mean anything or explain anything further in terms of what I'm dealing with but I just figured I would put them on there anyway please get back to me ASAP thank you so much!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 2 door Mini Cooper hardtop
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man that's so not what I want to hear. But I appreciate the honesty. I'm going to try to explain the noise I'm hearing a little bit better I don't know if that is the right word or not to describe it but it's like as if it's stutters and when it catches up with itself it's like this overlapping sound almost like it's trying to get back on track in terms of like the gears or something? I'm not really sure how to explain this but I can definitely compare it to when my spark plugs needed to be replaced it's almost identical to that symptom I was experiencing with those. I did not mess with the other coil packs I figured I would wait and hear from somebody on here before I dove into all of that as I mentioned I'm not very knowledgeable with all of this shit so I just didn't want to go crazy but I'm definitely going to have to give it a try as I am totally fucking stranded and just just really want to get my car back to the home front which is not that far. Almost risked just driving it with my hazards on but read this response and now I'm just like terrified.
Also, as I mentioned before there is no shaking or anything when my car is idling and oddly enough this last time starting it I let it run for a while and there was no noise or anything it just honestly seems totally normal but the check engine light is permanently on in the center dash but not on the one by my steering wheel. Any thoughts on the seafoam treatment in the oil? Or is that sort of irrelevant at this point? UHH THIS SUCKS. I'm like beside myself.
I've literally spent the last 9 hours drilling myself with information and videos Non-Stop and it's like I'm no closer to figuring the cell than I was before

1 - 2 of 2 Posts