MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Girl Next Door...
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the back box on the D is made of? I had a quick look at mine last night(considering trying to fit an S exhaust cat back on it). When I looked at it there was no sign of rust (I know it's new but there was none at all) and it had that 'rainbow' type sheen to it.

Just interested as if it is Stainless that seems to be a quality investment on behalf of Mini.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Grings said:
Does anyone know what the back box on the D is made of? I had a quick look at mine last night(considering trying to fit an S exhaust cat back on it). When I looked at it there was no sign of rust (I know it's new but there was none at all) and it had that 'rainbow' type sheen to it.

Just interested as if it is Stainless that seems to be a quality investment on behalf of Mini.
Don't know what it is made of mate, but I should be doing another group buy in the next few days of various West tuning products - including Miltek exhausts for the entire Mini range - including Diesels, the price will be about £232 for a cat back zorst with free fitting. A +30bhp conversion will also be available for around £350 + vat which is undetectable to dealers.

Tempted? :p :p :p

Cheers, LB

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
grings having the milltek exhaust fitted to mine have the back box already but that wont fit on to the orginal down pipe. you need the down pipe too. should have it on for the cotswolds if you are going come and take a look

·
Girl Next Door...
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
blb999&MS b said:
grings having the milltek exhaust fitted to mine have the back box already but that wont fit on to the orginal down pipe. you need the down pipe too. should have it on for the cotswolds if you are going come and take a look
Will do - how did you get around the rear valance?

·
Girl Next Door...
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Leccy_Blue said:
Don't know what it is made of mate, but I should be doing another group buy in the next few days of various West tuning products - including Miltek exhausts for the entire Mini range - including Diesels, the price will be about £232 for a cat back zorst with free fitting. A +30bhp conversion will also be available for around £350 + vat which is undetectable to dealers.

Tempted? :p :p :p

Cheers, LB
Hi LB,

Yeah I saw the thread before it got pulled - tempted but I'm never convinced by the 'undetectable' nature of re-chipping - the tunit box seems like a much better idea. Will think about the exhaust - the only problem is the valance on a D does not have a cut out, so I need to find a way around that first!!

Cheers

Grings

·
Girl Next Door...
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So using the same theory is it possible to fit and 'S' exhaust? Taking into account the boot area is identical (with the battery etc). The only question is the effect on back pressure etc...

·
Girl Next Door...
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I might look into this - I can weld so making the pipes connect is not a problem.

Plus you can pick up entire cooper s exhaust for £50, so if it doesn't work, no big deal.

·
SUCKIN DIESEL!!!!
7,669 Posts
Grings said:
I might look into this - I can weld so making the pipes connect is not a problem.

Plus you can pick up entire cooper s exhaust for £50, so if it doesn't work, no big deal.
Was interested in doing something like this too grings - picking up a cheap set of "S" bumpers and the adding center exit tailpipe!

·
Girl Next Door...
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I need to look under the D and see if it has the same exhaust hangers as the S - otherwise it means welding these to the body, which is definate warranty destroying work.

·
Girl Next Door...
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ONED said:
I'm pretty sure that these brackets are fitted! there are definately ones not being used, the shells would be manufactured the same!
Exactly what I was thinking :D

So next question, would cutting the One D valance provide enough clearance for the exhaust without having to install new bumpers?

(I wish I'd taken photos of the S now :( )

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
5 Participants
Grings
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing