MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Around 1am this morning we were travelling at about 55mph between Stown on the Wold and Burford when a Badger stepped out into the road.

Unable to do anything else, we hit the badger head on, dead centre of the car. There was a huge boom, followed by a bad scraping noise. The car squirms around quite a bit, presumably as the ABS / ACT are keeping it steady. My girlfriend's then driving in tears, as we find somewhere to pull over.

Expecting to be greeted by a badger corpse I was relieved to see a distinct lack of blood or badger, though the lower half of the car was hanging off... Opening the bonnet the badger had clearly smashed through the bumper and slammed into the radiator, bending it and what I presume to be the oil cooler behind.

Managed to limp home and called the MINI Emergency Service this morning who are delivering it to Cooper MINI Thames Ditton for some major surgery.

We only picked up the car last Saturday, plus it's our first car-incident so all a bit shocking, but the car performed excellently. Dead solid and acted predictably, which was great.

·
Registered
199 Posts
that's a bit of bad luck, especially for the badger!

Here's hoping it all gets fixed up soon so you can get it back on the road as soon as possible. There's nothing more frustrating than getting a new car and then not being able to use it for one reason or another.

·
GEEEEEEEEK
9,069 Posts
that sounds familiar i hit a badger in my S and a fox n the cooper you most likely will be looking at a new aircon rad and coolant rad :( it wont be cheap i can tell you that now :(

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts
that sounds familiar i hit a badger in my S and a fox n the cooper you most likely will be looking at a new aircon rad and coolant rad :( it wont be cheap i can tell you that now :(
:frown: Were you insured 'fully comprehensive' with protected no-claims bonus? :confused:

Let's hope Wilbo is. :redface:

All the best,
Andrew.

·
I'm avin 'oops
1,225 Posts
unlucky mind you yu were lucky badgers are not small animals and they are heavy as well they could have done more

·
Delete Cookies!
1,945 Posts
Thats nasty, I hope you get back on the road soon.

I hit two badgers in my classic Mini, they were fighting each other in the middle of the road.

I ended their fight by hitting them at 60 in the Mini, it wasn't an enjoyable experience (less so for them)

·
258.3bhp and 263.1Nm
699 Posts
Thats unlucky, sorry to hear that mate! but hitting animals that run out i have learnt is almost always better than trying to avoid them, as i tried to avoid a badger in my One back on september 11th 2006, as i swerved i went onto the vurge and spun the car out and hit a large tree side onn!:eek::angry: I was also traveling at the same speed as you.

That little incident was a nice £6000 claim and 8 weeks without a Mini while it was being repaired!

Alex

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I should find out by the end of the day, but it is indeed the coolant and aircon radiators... Plus any further damage. From speaking to the bodyshop, they believe the new bumper is around a grand...

As for No Claims Protection - I've never had an accident before, so felt the £150 for protection was a bit steep. I only made that decision last Tuesday.

·
258.3bhp and 263.1Nm
699 Posts
I should find out by the end of the day, but it is indeed the coolant and aircon radiators... Plus any further damage. From speaking to the bodyshop, they believe the new bumper is around a grand...

As for No Claims Protection - I've never had an accident before, so felt the £150 for protection was a bit steep. I only made that decision last Tuesday.
Thats SAVAGE mate!

If i were you speak to adam at Mini Mania as an up rated radiator etc is more likely cheaper than a stadard one from BMW!;) plus other parts like bumpers etc, its worth a go if you want to keep your ncb!

Alex

·
Registered
158 Posts
A grand for the bumper is ludicrous. I bought my entire Aero kit from BMW (in Gloucester), painted, for a lot less than that and that included VAT.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally got the car back after two weeks and havebeen enjoying it for the last week or so.

I was told the final bill had come to "approximately £4,480.00."

Thankfully I just paid the excess, £325. I was insured with Admiral and they were excellent throughout - they asked a few questions then let me choose which garage I wanted and told me to go ahead. I just paid the excess straight to the garage and didn't have to wait for any insurance money to come through. They also knocked off 2 years no claims from my 4 available, which I thought was pretty good.

I'd find it hard changing insurers now, after such a pain-free experience.

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Bad luck chap... good to hear your OK.

I did a badger in an RSP 1990 Cooper and the destruction was shocking! I also managed to do over £1k of damage by having a pheasant come through my windscreen/roof at 70mph once :shock:

Them poor little bugger get thier own back on us for hitting them!

·
Giggity-goo!
2,670 Posts
Bad luck chap... good to hear your OK.

I did a badger in an RSP 1990 Cooper and the destruction was shocking! I also managed to do over £1k of damage by having a pheasant come through my windscreen/roof at 70mph once :shock:

Them poor little bugger get thier own back on us for hitting them!
LOL, you did a badger? No wonder he wasn't happy :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts