MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again!

Just want to ask if someone of u have a pic of a mini with dark windows?
Couse my dealer told me that it would look great if u darker (from a dictionary) your back windows, that means the windows of the back seat row and the window of the boot.
Have someone found pics of this style?
The dealer also told me that with typify it wouldn´t cost over 200€.
P.S.: They wouldn´t just put a transperency in it they´ll colour it.

so what do you say?

cya crazyBastard ;}
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
There are a least 2 personal galleries with pics.

1 is a silver/black and 1 a green/white.

Cant remember whos galleries however - happy browsing.

Dave
 

·
Moderator & Sponsor
Joined
·
3,758 Posts
crazyBastard said:
Hi again!

Just want to ask if someone of u have a pic of a mini with dark windows? ....
Here's a great picture Dogger took of a MINI with tinted windows:



I plan on having tinted windows on my Cooper S to help keep the interior cooler in the summer -- and the look also suits the wraparound greenhouse style of the car very well. Since the A, B and C pillars are hidden on the MINI, the roof appears to be floating above the tinted windows just like the designer intended. :) :) :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,368 Posts
I plan on having tinted windows on my Cooper S to help keep the interior cooler in the summer -- and the look also suits the wraparound greenhouse style of the car very well. Since the A, B and C pillars are hidden on the MINI, the roof appears to be floating above the tinted windows just like the designer intended.
Bruce: I, too, will be getting tinted windows for the exact reason as you stated! :) How dark are you planning to go? I am planning to get 50% tints all around. I guess you will go darker as you are in Texas. Any brand recommendations? Gaining info from various automotive related sites, I reckon that Llumar and 3M are the more reputable brands for tints. I've also read info for people to stay away from metallic tints as it will compromise AM as well as radar detector receptions. (not that we would ever use a radar detector in the S :D :D :rolleyes: )
 

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
Joined
·
4,566 Posts
That window tinting looks fantastic!! Any idea how much of a tint that is?? And what about the front window? Can you touch that??
 

·
Blast from the past !
Joined
·
1,309 Posts
monsta said:
That window tinting looks fantastic!! Any idea how much of a tint that is?? And what about the front window? Can you touch that??
Monsta

I'd say they were about 35% - I've got similar on both my exisitng cars - Photography makes it hard to tell most tints look much darker in a photo than real life - In Kent there are a couple of 'quality' people who do this the rest are amateurs steer clear - Cost EVO £250 Range Rover £550 (eeks)

There is a law which says fronts must not exceed 25% and windscreen 15%
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
windows look smart tinted,

i have had my windows tinted on my last four cars, yes i know i'm only 18, but hey also act as a anti smash and graqb for theifs because of the film being on the inside,

there are legal limits for the uk i belive it is no darker than 35% on side windows only, and police are sad enough to check with there poxy light meters,

i was quoted £230 for my windows to be done on black beauty (my mini)

a must for the summer

Tom
 

·
Moderator & Sponsor
Joined
·
3,758 Posts
KarmanS said:


Bruce: I, too, will be getting tinted windows for the exact reason as you stated! :) How dark are you planning to go? I am planning to get 50% tints all around. I guess you will go darker as you are in Texas. Any brand recommendations? Gaining info from various automotive related sites, I reckon that Llumar and 3M are the more reputable brands for tints. I've also read info for people to stay away from metallic tints as it will compromise AM as well as radar detector receptions. (not that we would ever use a radar detector in the S :D :D :rolleyes: )
I want to go dark enough to blend the rear windows in with the standard black part hiding the B and C posts (like Dogger's picture above). I'm sorry I don't know which brands are the best, but I do know enough to suggest you only go with first quality materials and professional installation - the cheap stuff turns purpleish, delaminates, develops bubbles and becomes hazy over time - a real nightmare.

Here in Texas where there is a lot of competition in the car window tinting business, a high quality window tint job costs about $150 to $200 installed for most cars - and it can last the life of the car (as long as you are careful not to scratch it or to use an ammonia-based window cleaner).
 

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
Joined
·
4,566 Posts
Racer said:


Monsta

I'd say they were about 35% - I've got similar on both my exisitng cars - Photography makes it hard to tell most tints look much darker in a photo than real life - In Kent there are a couple of 'quality' people who do this the rest are amateurs steer clear - Cost EVO £250 Range Rover £550 (eeks)

There is a law which says fronts must not exceed 25% and windscreen 15%
Who in Kent is good then?? Dinger and I are both looking at having them done
 

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
Joined
·
4,566 Posts
A question for you:

Do you think that having tinted windows encourages theives to break into your car? i.e. you must have something to hide if you have tinted windows

:confused:
 

·
Blast from the past !
Joined
·
1,309 Posts
monsta said:
A question for you:

Do you think that having tinted windows encourages theives to break into your car? i.e. you must have something to hide if you have tinted windows

:confused:
Perhaps it used to but today I think it just says either

1) You've got leather and want to keep it cooler
2) You've got kids and want to keep the low sun out of there eyes when they've finally managed to go to sleep after 15 hours!

Plus the film used CAN be the same as that used by Penta which provides a non-breakable glass now I wouldn't go for that because I'm paranoid about being stuck in a car on fire ! - but the theif doesn't know that - so it's probably a detterent

I will PM you with numbers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,722 Posts
monsta said:
A question for you:

Do you think that having tinted windows encourages theives to break into your car? i.e. you must have something to hide if you have tinted windows

:confused:
I dont know about that. Tinted windows usually go hand in hand with boy racers & pimps in black BMW's :D :D :D :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
Got a business card? :p :p :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,956 Posts
monsta said:
And what about the front window? Can you touch that??
Definately NOT !!!

:)


Full legal tint to ALL glass EXCEPT front Windscreen.

This was Illegal in UK when I was there and is certainly Illegal in Oz and I daresay around the world. You will find that once all the side and rear glass is tinted the front looks tinted anyway (from the outside).

I'm pretty sure there is a legal limit to the gradual tint found on most modern windscreens as well. Much simpler these days with the use of laminated instead of toughened glass.

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
well im gettin me mini windows tinted on sunday @ £80 35% side and rear,from a good mate who used to tint for a professional window firm a while ago,so i cant complain!!

lol
 

·
Moderator & Sponsor
Joined
·
3,758 Posts
mini mucker said:
well im gettin me mini windows tinted on sunday @ £80 35% side and rear,from a good mate who used to tint for a professional window firm a while ago,so i cant complain!!

lol
Cool! Please post some pictures after it's been completed (inside and out). :cool: :cool: :cool:
 

·
MINI2 Master (Oh Wow!)
Joined
·
595 Posts
window tints

I had a quote from pentagon of £380 to darken my windows, and they also fit protective film over the windows to stop your windows being smashed in, which can lower your insurance by about 15%

They are the market leader. It's quite expensive considering now I've seen other peoples quotes.

any suggestions?
 

·
Blast from the past !
Joined
·
1,309 Posts
Re: window tints

alexcroft said:
I had a quote from pentagon of £380 to darken my windows, and they also fit protective film over the windows to stop your windows being smashed in, which can lower your insurance by about 15%

They are the market leader. It's quite expensive considering now I've seen other peoples quotes.

any suggestions?
As I said above it's not worth getting done unless you do it properly - Pentagon are THE best and charge about 50% more than competitors but the quality is superb - If you get quoted less than £200 for rear and sides on a MINI then either your v.lucky or you've gone with one of the many outfits who's shoes clink as they walk.

If you don't know the reliable people in your area then stick with Pentagon - don't let them oversell to you though 90% of the film used in tinting prevents windows being smashed and none of my insurers have ever reduced my rate for Pentagon or other tints:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,722 Posts
Tinted Windows are classed as a Modification & can actually increase your Insurance Premium :rolleyes:
 
1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Top