MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had problem s with the Dash having a very strange cracking sound from both corners drivers and passenger ?
sounds like it is cracking only is a small cracking sound but it is not nice at all . a swift pull on the steering wheel solves it for about half a hour then it appears again should i take it back my dealers?
+ anyone know of a price for a tracker?
The car is wicked and i am glad i chooseit was lucky getting it for the price i did !! it only had 1000 miles on the clock, the spec is ace and it's a cooper yippppppppeeeeeeeee .
the only other problem i have is the seat locking when folded forward been reading through the threads and i think i know how to operate the seat now gonna test it in the morning
Cheers
Rob .

·
Registered
247 Posts
Do you mind me asking where you obtained said Cooper with 1000 miles on the clock?

As far as I know all the MINIs do the dash crack with change in cabin temp, it's just the plastic expanding and contracting.

Would others agree?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Varse said:
As far as I know all the MINIs do the dash crack with change in cabin temp, it's just the plastic expanding and contracting.
I don't know about all MINI's, but mine does and thats what I put it down to. The dash crack does disappear on any decent run.

1000 miles on the clock when you got it - an ex-demo car by any chance?

·
Registered
71 Posts
My dash cracks/creaks hideously nearly all the time.

It seems to be with the heat/cold. Turn the heater on full and direct it through the de-mister setting. Mine creaks and cracks like mad. Then turn on the air to cool and hear it contract back again.

I've complained twice so far and it's back in this thurs for other bits as well, so here's hoping....

Don't get fobbed off either, none of my previous cars have ever done it and come to mention it, no car I've ever driven or been in.

I'll post the results.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Cracking dash Grommit!

I have the same problem - the dealer had the dash apart and managed to reassemble it to make exactly the same noise. I agree with others that I have not had this problem in other cars that I have driven. Even my 1977 Mini Clubman never had this fault. Spose the engineers at BMW had to give us something to discover and moan about.

So far all of the problems I've had with my car have been minor - they're just a bit annoying.

Like today I've just got may car back from the garage and the rear seat was not fixed in - it just took a couple of pushes - but it's still silly to get a car back that has not been put back together correctly. Correctly fitted trim seems to b a rare beast these days.

My dealer assures me that other BMW's suffer with faults too and any mass produced product is likely to.

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
My dash used to crack with temp. changes, but it's now stopped! 3 months old, 3200 miles. :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
RavenSaxo

Try http://www.tracker-network.co.uk/

Trackers are:

TRACKER Retrieve TRACKER Monitor TRACKER Horizon
System £199 £299 £499
Installation £70* £135 £149
Annual subs £99 £99 £99
1-off subs** £299 £299 £299

**Subscription is valid for as long as you own the vehicle to which TRACKER system is fitted.

Andy

·
Registered
546 Posts
Interior - no dashboard creaking and cracking noises

Varse said:

Would others agree?
Varse

Sorry (but also glad) to disagree, but 1350 miles covered now and still absolutely no creaks or other interior noises.

Since I've owned it the external temperature has varied between -7.5 degress C and today's highest of about 12 degrees C.

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
My dash creaks and it shouldn't. I have driven several Minis’, and not one of them creaked. I am seeing the service Manager tomorrow to get this and other niggles sorted.

There is no reason for the noise other than a poorly fitted dashboard.

LMB:D

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Mine creaks and I have to pushi it forwards just above the speedo to stop it.

It's a bad choice of material seeing as it is where there is a lot of temp change.

Silly technicians - do they know nothing.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My car definitely suffers from thermal expansion ticking and you can almost locate it to the heating vents, been to the dealer - stripped dash and insulated some components--no improvement. Time for yet another redesign?

·
Registered
71 Posts
My dealer (top marks again for valeting the car on return) have arranged to take it back for a week and get all my faults sorted. They said they would strip the entire dash and 'lube' it. I prefer the idea of not having 'lube' behind my dash but whatever.....

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
You'll know if they lubed it well cause your car will STINK with the air fan on.

Lucky you...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cracking sound from dash

Couldn't you get dangerous fumes in the car if you had that done?

As far as the crackling sound coming from the behind the Dash is concerned, my Mini Cooper does the same thing. But only when I change the heat to blow on the windscreen.

·
Registered
71 Posts
To be honest my dealer have already greased many bits om my car (I presume) in an effort to stop noises. The left hand cubby hole in the boot came back covered in grease, as did the undersides of my seats and the fuse box cover and I'm not too impressed so far as I've already have to clean grease from various personal items (oo-er :)) and if that is their solution to everything then I shall have another issude to take up with BMW/MINI UK.

As far as the dash goes I'd at least expect a new dash before they grease the entire underside of my existing one and re-fit - can't be good, seems a short term/bodge fix to me....

Jon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts