MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
I will admit i have gone a bit mad with blue LEDs in my car atm, poeple who read my door lighting mod post will understand,
but i think i have finally got the effect i wanted with my dash lights now.
Originally i was going to get it done profesionally by EssentialMINI, but due to not being able to get through to him and all this jazz about global money issues, i decided to do it myself.
I read up on how to remove the units, £10 later i had meself 75 blue and white LEDs off ebay, and i set off. Took me the good part of a weekend to get it done, and if im really honest i had to buy a new rev counter as i nackered the dial motor in the original :rolleyes: opps, but luckily 4 me there was 1 on ebay for 35 quid so not all bad, so i practiced soldering on the one i nackered before hand.

Mid way through:

after alot of cursing and 3 soldered fingers ;) here are the results:

P.S, the LCD screens do look a bit naf at the moment i, they need new clear light filters as the originals were amber, so still a tiny bit of work to do :p

·
Chief Tea Maker
29 Posts
Looks real nice very futuristic

Went thru a similar phase on my other car and was really impressed with the results too. In order to change the filters on the other car I bought a blue clear A4 folder from WHS or somewhere and and cut it to size and used that, it worked a treat.

Are they SMD or just normal LED's can't really tell from the pics.

Good Job

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks real nice very futuristic

Went thru a similar phase on my other car and was really impressed with the results too. In order to change the filters on the other car I bought a blue clear A4 folder from WHS or somewhere and and cut it to size and used that, it worked a treat.

Are they SMD or just normal LED's can't really tell from the pics.

Good Job
ow great cheers, il pick some up.
if by SMD you mean the tiny white LEDs that are originally there then no, there just the rounded LEDs, i searched high and low and couldnt for the life of me find where they were sold, but they do the job just as well, where some of them were to bright i nipped off the ends to disperse the light around.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Jees, that must have been a bit hair raising! I assume you're pretty handy with the soldering iron!?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jees, that must have been a bit hair raising! I assume you're pretty handy with the soldering iron!?
i would like to say 'yes a am quite good with a soldering iron'.. but i'd be lying :p
as i said it was a lot of cursing and burning of fingers, but after the first few LEDs it got easier
i think if your going to do it, you need more patience than skill.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts