MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI guys . can any one tell me how fereng got on with his dash rattle . i am still waiting for mine to go in & wondering if it will ever fix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Doubt it !!
My wife's 07 Cooper S was in 6 times, at 2 different dealers for a creaking sound all across the dashboard. The dealers admitted defeat.

In the end she traded it, for a new BMW 123D SE Coupe, which is as quiet as a mouse, as the Mini should have been considering it cost £19000

Luckily we know dealer very well and only lost the VAT element of the original purchase price on the Mini.

Build quality on the Mini, in some areas, especially the dashboards sucks, and does deserve the BMW badge!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey dude. I got on good and bad. They took everything it could possibly be apart and put it back together tighter. They also said that the wires on the steering column were loose and the hinges on the glove box were weak and replaced them and... Hurah!!! for two weeks anyway then it came back!!!

Also I now have a rattle on the steering column which wasn't there before!!!

So I called them and told them and had a bit of an aguement with the guy in service.So i told him I wanted a new car (Not that I do). He put me on to the sale manager who said he'd call me back when he looked through my notes. 3 days later and no phone call.

I called them back and got put onto the service manager. I explained I didn't want to bring the car in unless they could actually cure it. He agreed and is contacting BMW to see if there is any modified parts around. He also said he'd call me back and it would be nearer the end of the week... That was last week.

I will call them later today. I'm also thinking of putting on a strut brace in the engine compartment to see if that will cure it as they said before it was chasis flex causing the rattle.

Oh, and my car was in for the gear box and their BMW Rep was in and he agreed there is a problem with the car. Nice of them to tell me he was coming in (Sarcasim) since it was just chance my car was in when he was there and there were meant to call me to let me know to bring the car in.

Anyway, I will post either tonight or tomorrow and let you know what the score is with my call to them. Sorry for the lack of reply but since I was no further forward... think we should all take our cars in and keep taking them in until BMW/MINI actually see this as a really serious problem. It's the number one complaint for new Mini drivers yet they don't have a fix for it. Seems pretty poor as they had this fault on the first new mini and released the felt pack to sort it.

Ferengo.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just out of interest, is it the facelifted or pre-facelifted models that you guys are having problems with the dash rattle?
I had a pre-facelift model for 2 and a half years and it was perfect, nothing went wrong with it at all.
I now have a 56 reg, one of the first facelifted models and it has the annoying rattle which comes from the very centre of the dash underneath the vents. I'll be visiting the dealer very soon!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a Clubman with the rattle from the centre dash.

I have located the source of the noise, it's where the air vent supply tube/housing meets the air vent cover for the screen vent (the long thin one for the windscreen).
I know this is where it's coming from as when it rattles if I put both hands on the vent, stick my fingers through the slots I can feel the vent tube and if I tug the inner tube bit towards the back of the car the rattle goes away for a bit, the after a bit of driving it comes back.
it would seem that this part of the vent needs lining on the outside with foam/rubber to stop it rubbing, but obviously it needs the top of the dash off to get to it.

I'm on holiday in a few weeks and will be booking mine in to get sorted then

·
Noob
247 Posts
I had dash rattle issues that drove me nuts for about 10 months. Changed the windscreen because of a tiny chip, and it happened to have solved the rattle issues.

It's been fine for the past two months or so now. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had the dash rattle which seemed to be coming from under the speedo somewhere. Took it into the dealer and they had a go at fixing it but failed.

Then I recently took it in again for service, and they told me that Mini had found that the fault is due to the dash breaking up on some cars, and had issued a fix. They replaced my dash top completely and it is now fine.

So definately worth pestering dealers for the fix now that it has been acknowledged.

Paul

·
BoyScout
118 Posts
I've had a dashboard rattle for a while; took it in back in May I think it was, and they said that they'd sorted it out by adjusting the window? Allegedly that was supposed to have solved it, but I still received the damned rattle. Then I took it back last week, told them that I had a rattle noise problem, during 2nd and 3rd transmission it was easy to slip it into neutral, and the last problem was with regards to a clunking noise (which seems to be quite a bit of hassle from seeing the other clunking noise posts). Anyways, they said that they had fixed all the problems, but as soon as I took it out for more about 30minutes, the rattling came back! Funnily enough, while my friend was with me later in the day, he located where the damned rattle noise was coming from:

basically, where the button for the glove compartment is located, that particular strip, if you push it in, then the rattling stops!

Again, took it back to them, told them to fix that and the stupid clunking noise... and its in this coming Tuesday.

What REALLY drove me insane, is that my friend who doesn't know much about cars, found the problem exactly, whereas the mini service guys took 2 days to find it and thought that they had solved the problem!Fingers crossed that everything will be done and dusted, and will probably update my message after Tuesday's adventures....

·
Always on Overboost
2,524 Posts
I have a slight rattle in my dash from tome to time - depends on the weather and if i have the air conditioning on or not

Is not as bad as my R50 I had previously

·
A Total Mini Convert
923 Posts
I have an intermittent rattle from the steering column. If I hit it from underneath between my legs it stops for a while.
Don't suppose anyone knows an easy fix?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi my R56 MCS has now been in 3 times for a dash rattle, the dealer has now spent £3000 on repairs and the rattle is now back!!!!!! It will now have to go back in again.

The dealer has already replaced the top section of dash. It had a hair crack in it under the leather! Good build quality BWM! I feel the hole car is not screwed together properly, but I still love the thing!!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
I get a wee rattle every so often. You would think with the run flats being so harsh they would make sure everything was sound! would be a pity if ten miniutes in the design room could have solved this.

·
BoyScout
118 Posts
Haha, LOVE it Benjamin! I agree with your comment: Mini's have poor qualities, but its these faults as well as the emphasis on its best qualities that make it amazing. In response to my meeting on Tuesday, unfortunately they couldn't find the clunking, however, they stuck felt upon the dash part, and it still kept making noises! So, they've decided to change the whole top of the dash, but they have to order that in and so I'll have to give the car back to them on the 1st of September... this time round though, I'm getting them to give me a loan car so I can check out what the loan car is like compared to mine.

Oh well.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I take it Mini is covered at any dealer? I bought my car from a dealer about 40 miles away in Stirling. But I have a Mini dealer just round the corner.

Don’t want to hassle a dealer when I did not buy the car from them, or as its Mini I should just think all dealers are one when it comes to fixes etc.

Usually I have my Zen connected and playing my Music but the other night at a wedding I ran people home and had the music off and although none probably picked up on the rattle it annoyed the crap out of me.

Think in a month or two it will be going in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My Dash Still Rattles

I have just picked my car up form the dealer again and the dash still rattles.:angry: I have spent £160 on fitting a JCW Strut brace to see if this would help cure the rattle but NO. On the up side it has made a hell of a difference in how the car handles, I am shocked at how something so simple can make such a difference!!

Back to the dealer goes I

·
Registered
38 Posts
had my car in to dealers to cure a rattle at the rear, on the 7th visit they kept my car for 5 weeks,also damaged my drivers door, which was noticed by myself when picked car up after dealer promised a valet and it hadent been done the service manager came to inspect my car,left it with them when i came to collect it there was a big scratch on door which the service manager agread was not on when he inspected it had to go into bodyshop for a week. got car back now will not use dealer again.

·
A Total Mini Convert
923 Posts
Do you think that the dealers intentionally damage cars when you go in with rattles to make sure that you don't return?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts