MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '02 'S'. In the middle of the dash, below the rear view mirror is a thing that, frankly, looks like a nipple. Or maybe one of those turkey thermometers that pop out when the turkey's done. At first I thought it was a sensor for the wipers, but my Mini is not so equipped. Or possibly a sensor for headlight dimming. Maybe its just a dummy plug for something that's supposed to go there. What is it?
 

·
Track addict
Joined
·
5,960 Posts
shorn said:
I have an '02 'S'. In the middle of the dash, below the rear view mirror is a thing that, frankly, looks like a nipple. Or maybe one of those turkey thermometers that pop out when the turkey's done. At first I thought it was a sensor for the wipers, but my Mini is not so equipped. Or possibly a sensor for headlight dimming. Maybe its just a dummy plug for something that's supposed to go there. What is it?

if you have auto aircon, its a sunlight sensor. If you have manual aircon, its a dummy plug for said sunlight sensor. ;)
 

·
MINI Fan (atic)
Joined
·
276 Posts
Ahh...

So THATS what that thing is....!

I always thought it was part of the alarm as it looks like an alarm LED, but it never flashed... Maybe thought that cos the alarm light is on the driver side, I thought it was to alert a thief that peered in from the passenger side! :D

Never crossed my mind, even though I know there is a sun sensor somewhere in my car (have auto a/c).
I thought it would be near to the interior temp sensors on the unit.. But, in hindsight, this would be a silly place to have it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
If you're in CA probably not a lot - isn't it always sunny there :D

Just jealous - it's peeing down here
 

·
Go West young MINI!
Joined
·
111 Posts
I'm in NorCal, so it's cloudy and foggy and rainy

Ohhhh, that's what it does. Interesting. Either that or it's sending constant information back to MINI's evil mountaint lair, letting the BMW folks know every move we make so they can craft new and innovative ways of feeding our obsession. Or something.
 

·
MotorCityMadman
Joined
·
3,793 Posts
Believe it or not, this is one of the few things that is actually in the owner's manual. I think it was covered in the Unofficial Manual as well...
 

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
Joined
·
5,173 Posts
CaliKid

Hey, that's impressive; how did you manage to get the airvent, Yoda AND the garage door all in focus!

Tigger.
 

·
Proud Owner of YODA
Joined
·
44 Posts
Haha yea. Believe it or not, the digital camera I used was a grad present from a family friend. It is a Fujifilm thing. Very very inexpensive, but the quality is outstanding. I doubt he payed over $100 for it.

another shining example:

 

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
Joined
·
5,173 Posts
CaliKid said:
Haha yea. Believe it or not, the digital camera I used was a grad present from a family friend. It is a Fujifilm thing. Very very inexpensive, but the quality is outstanding. I doubt he payed over $100 for it.

That's a lovely looking "S".

Isn't BRG great when it's so shiny. Just don't go withing about 2 miles of an automated car wash :eek:

Tigger.
 

·
MINI Fan (atic)
Joined
·
276 Posts
Tigger said:
Hey, that's impressive; how did you manage to get the airvent, Yoda AND the garage door all in focus!

Tigger.
Off-topic, but if you have a manual/SLR or a camera that allows you to set certain things.... Change the aperture (f-numbers) to as low as possible. I have a Canon Powershot S50, which has fully manual modes and I set the aperture to 2.8.
Conversely when you want to narrow down the depth-of-field (focus only on one thing) you need to go to a higher f number eg (8.0+)

Hope this helps...

Kodak
 

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
Joined
·
5,173 Posts
Kodak said:
Off-topic, but if you have a manual/SLR or a camera that allows you to set certain things.... Change the aperture (f-numbers) to as low as possible. I have a Canon Powershot S50, which has fully manual modes and I set the aperture to 2.8.
Conversely when you want to narrow down the depth-of-field (focus only on one thing) you need to go to a higher f number eg (8.0+)

Hope this helps...

Kodak
Very good point Kodak, but actually it's the other way around!

At the serious risk of sounding a complete anorak; to get maximum depth of field (most items in focus) then you need a narrow aperture / high f number. Over 8 is good, but to get both the dash vents and garage door in focus you're going to need something like f22 or f32 and a great deal of light, a fast film, or a very steady hand with a slow shutter speed!

How this has been done with a <$100 camera I just don't know. I must get one of whatever he's using!

Tigger.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top