MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awright guys. I'd posted up that I was hoping to come back to the world of "New" MINI after my spell with my mk1 MX5. Mindy (the MX5) has now been sold, and after travelling to Durham to see a Cooper (that was a One!) with approx 57K on the clock (more like 157K the state it was in and the way it drove), we finally found "the one" (only it's not a One! lol)

We decided early one that when the mx5 went, we wanted something fun and with character to replace her, but it needed to be another soft top. After looking at BMW's, then Audis mercs etc (yawn, cant stand any of em tbh!) we harked back to when we had Carly, our 2nd gen Cooper. Loved that wee car! So the hunt was on for a 1st gen as I prefer the interior/exterior of them and also think the engines are better than the gen2.

So that 1st one in Durham was an absolute shed, with a boot full of water, every panel marked, wrong interior and "Cooper S" badges all over its rear. It drove like a pile of spanners, brakes rattling/rumbling/knocking, suspension knocks and generally felt horrible. It was also only 90bhp due to being the One model. So that was abandoned and we were going to continue hunting for Coopers....then though stuff it, if we're gonna get one, might as well do it right! So the hunt was on for a Cooper S!

Called about 3, which all turned out to be apparently damaged/repaired but not logged and all had no history. then the Gayle found one up in Aberdeen. It was one I'd initially dismissed as somebody had sprayed (I think) the dash inserts red and that looked tacky to me. Wife then suggested "you're good at vinyl wrapping, could you not wrap them"? What a bloody good idea! So we went up to see it today.........it has been sitting for a while as the chap bought it for his wife but she decided the convertible wasn't for her so he bought her Cooper S gen 2 tin top. Even though its been sitting about (only done 200 miles since its MOT in april) he'd had the advisories from the mot fixed and she has all her service history etc. She's on a 06 plate with only 72K on the clock, lowest miles one we'd seen in our price range. First cooper S I've driven and she drives spot on. No knocks from suspension or anything, engine runs sweet! So we bought her for 200 quid less than asking price, so well chuffed. Pulled away from the guys house, half a mile down road engine management light came on!! Swear to god you couldn't make it up! We had her on a very long test drive, drove spot on! Funny thing is, even though we had a 3 and a half hour drive ahead of us, she drove it all faultlessly (apart from the wee engine light being on) Read the owners book and looks like it might be something to do with emissions? Thinking egr valve or poss lamba? Not sure bit going to get her on the diagnostics to see. The other EML light goes off no probs so bit of a strange one. Anyways, she's not our daily driver so plenty time to fix, as she's only our weekend/good weather car.

Sooo.......here she is, Dave and Gayle's 1st gen MCS R52 (also now known as "Poppy" lol) Sorry, only got her photos from ad just now:
Car Land vehicle Automotive parking light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Car Vehicle Gear shift Speedometer Automobile pedal

Well happy with her, hope you like!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Decided to just replace the dash inserts rather than wrapping them so replacements are arriving today. The warning light, I initially shat myself at when it came on, but to be honest the rest of the car is so good I'm not too fussed tbh. Whatever it is it will get fixed asap. Today we are going to give her a mega valet, as she does need it inside! I like my car interiors to be spotless so getting inside and out done today. Then got to pick up a genuine wind deflector for her too today and get that fitted. Cant even describe how happy I was this morning when I opened the curtains and saw that wee mini face looking back at me. God I've missed MINIs!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We bought an OEM wind deflector for Poppy. Got it for an amazing price with its original bag etc so well happy. On the EML front, I ordered a OBD2 reader yesterday (comes tomorrow) to get to the bottom of the EML light. Went out to the car today to go to the wee shop, started her up, boom, the EML light went off and hasn't come back on since!! Sods bloody law after buying a code reader!! lol Still, I'm well happy, least it mean it aint anything major so fingers crossed it stays off. I did possibly find something that may have triggered it (more of that in a sec).

Decided that as it was peeing down with rain when we viewed the car (and it was on a kind of farm so not the kinda ground to lie down on in the rain!) I didnt get as good a look underneath as I would have liked. I assumed that as she looks not bad on top, drives sweet as, then surely she'd be ok underneath right?
Well, had a look today............OMG! She is totally spotless underneath!!!! Suspension arms, subframes, floors are totally rust free! No signs of oil anywhere or anything else. Came out from under the car much to Gayle's amusement going yaaas!! Ya Beauty!! Really sooooo happy with this wee car!
Only thing that had rust is the rear silencer on the drivers side (classed as the front to rear section?) The box is totally gone to the point the whole thing is breaking up in chunks. I tapped it and the whole thing just sounds like crushing rusty metal, so assuming the bafles have also collapsed inside too. Could this have triggered the engine light (as that light is mainly to do with emmisions etc)? The actual rear box (pass side rear) looks to be fine, so think its been replaced at some point in the past as the rest of the exhaust looks old, possibly original one. Anyhoo, figured if all I have to worry about is an exhaust then win win. Only other thing is the gearchange......its mega stiff. It has freed off a little since we bought her, but still not how it should be. I think the clutch is fine, bites almost as soon as the pedal leaves the floor. The car has sat for a long time (has only done 200 miles this year) so thinking it may be with just sitting. Really want to get under and grease up all the linkages etc but unfortunately due to my health, until I get a ramp in the garage I won't be going under. Well, I might be going under, but probably wont be able to get back up again!!! lol Any ideas on the stiff gears? Please tell me the box aint gubbed!

Even with that, she is such a lovely wee car to drive. Totally get why everyone goes for the Cooper S and not just the Cooper now. Never had so many giggles in a car lol

·
Registered
913 Posts
gear linkage is accessed under the airbox, disconnect ECU, airbox, cold intake pipe, disconnect main intake from box, remove battery cables from holder, remove 1x 10mm bolt front right, 'pull up' very rear of complete box from 2x bobbins (awkward so a short sharp tug is required, maybe more than once) and feed box out

you'll see two linkages, one for the neutral gate and one for gears, held on by three 13mm bolts, remove cable ends and the linkages for best results and grease the white bush under the gear one, and clean the groove and rotate the plastic bush by 90deg on the other, also lube the hinge on that one and test the vertical movement of the selector shaft is free, and with cable ends off see how free the gear lever is so you can eliminate cable issues

the clutch isn't quite normal if biting that low, it'll need bleeding or possibly has a clutch issue, if the clutch is heavy it wants changing.

Reactions: chillax

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Looks and sounds like a good buy, time to enjoy and then get stuck in to the usual maintenance for one of these supercharged cars (lots of info on here about exhausts, front bushes, clutches and charger services). The it's tuning time....the pleasures will never end.

BTW that code reader is bound to come in sometime....it's a Mini after all.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gear linkage is accessed under the airbox, disconnect ECU, airbox, cold intake pipe, disconnect main intake from box, remove battery cables from holder, remove 1x 10mm bolt front right, 'pull up' very rear of complete box from 2x bobbins (awkward so a short sharp tug is required, maybe more than once) and feed box out

you'll see two linkages, one for the neutral gate and one for gears, held on by three 13mm bolts, remove cable ends and the linkages for best results and grease the white bush under the gear one, and clean the groove and rotate the plastic bush by 90deg on the other, also lube the hinge on that one and test the vertical movement of the selector shaft is free, and with cable ends off see how free the gear lever is so you can eliminate cable issues

the clutch isn't quite normal if biting that low, it'll need bleeding or possibly has a clutch issue, if the clutch is heavy it wants changing.
Excellent info mate, mucho appreciated! I'll get her in my garage and have a look at that. Is that all doable from up top or does it need access under the car too? I've just bought the good old Haynes book of bollocks so will study the bits you're on about so I have a clear pic in my mind what I need to do. Thanks so much for the info.
Looks and sounds like a good buy, time to enjoy and then get stuck in to the usual maintenance for one of these supercharged cars (lots of info on here about exhausts, front bushes, clutches and charger services). The it's tuning time....the pleasures will never end.

BTW that code reader is bound to come in sometime....it's a Mini after all.
Hahaha, you're not wrong there. My previous one 2nd gen Cooper called Carly threw a massive hissy fit one day and the wee display just scrolled through wee images of abs, steering, lights, engine management etc right to the end where it then showed a pic of a wee animated MINI going up on a ramp! Was crazy! Central locking wouldnt work, neither would the speedo, rev counter, fuel gauge...in fact, just about everything didnt work. Got her to the garage, they plugged in code reader saying it could be the ecu fried or it could be ......nothing other than a small voltage drop/increase thats fooled the system They reset the faults, worked perfect! Still on the road today as I sold it to a workmate for his wife. They love the car to bits and wont sell so seems yeah these minis do like a wee strop now and again!. Think it just adds to the character of them. Loving her so far and loving the 1st gen Mini so much.

·
Registered
913 Posts
all up top ;O)

obvs not clutch.

Reactions: chillax

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Been busy after work tonight....
New wind deflector in bag all cleaned and made perfect by Gayle and now residing in the boot
Product Rectangle Chair Tints and shades Auto part

The old red dash inserts (on closer inspection found these weren't red factory add ons (even though those are available) but plain silver ones sprayed (badly) red
Car Vehicle Speedometer White Gear shift

Tacky as hell imo!

New dash parts arrived from Ebay. have to say these were in perfect condition, no marks or broken tabs and arrived mega quick.
Automotive design Automotive tire Audio equipment Rim Font

And new dash all fitted..
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part

Car Vehicle Speedometer White Gear shift

And a couple of better photos as the ad ones were blurry....
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

So soooooo happy with this wee gem! 😀

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, got to the bottom of the engine light! After buying an OBD2 reader (that didn't work! :mad:) got one that does! Turns out its o2 sensor, so least I know now. Looking online, its seems they're a hella lot cheaper than I thought! So will get one ordered up as soon as. Cleared the light for now as it comes on for a few days then goes off again so no biggie. I'm assuming there's no horror stories regarding the o2 sensor fault/replacing it? Had my mate out in Poppy for the first time yesterday..........just like first time I took him out in the mk1 MX5 (aka Mindy) he was smitten! Think his words were something like (in between giggling and laughing!) "I need to get one of these!" lol

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, and gave the interior (well from the rear to most of the front) a deep clean as previous owner had little dogs in the rear seats. Rear seats washed and dried, side panels etc all cleaned Leather cleaned and treated with leather conditioner. Also did front seats (the leather bits for now, fabric centres still to be washed but they're not too bad tbh) and sills and carpets all cleaned. Glass all done inside and out. She looks and smells super fresh now!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts