MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I take delivery of my S in 2 weeks!

I am a real fan of Daytime Running Lights but am concerned about the Xenon's being on all the time given their cost, heat, difficulity to work with, etc. I would appreciate any comments from others with DRL running. I think I will have the dealer turn them on before delivery.

thanks

KEN

·
Registered
123 Posts
As far as I know (at least on my Cooper), the daytime running lights are seperate from the Xenons. Therefore, no worries with them being on all the time (unless you turn them on of course).:rolleyes: :p

·
Registered
174 Posts
Roscoe76 said:
As far as I know (at least on my Cooper), the daytime running lights are seperate from the Xenons. Therefore, no worries with them being on all the time (unless you turn them on of course).:rolleyes: :p
How right you are. I've got Xenons and the running lights are separate.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Xenon HID's are low-beam (dipped beam). Halogen's are high-beam (main beam). The DRL's are high-beam, operated at half-power. This is how most cars DRL's are run. Since the MINI does not have Bi-Xenon's, you're OK.

P.S. The Xenon bulbs and ballast ought to last the life of the car easily. You should never have to replace a bulb, but even they are affordable. The ballast should last even longer, over the life of multiple bulbs. In addition, a Xenon system uses half the power of a halogen system.

If you really want to save the life of your Xenon's, try to do as few start cycles as possible, as this shortens their life, like a fluorescant fixture. However, in regular use, they should last a long, long time anyways.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just out of curiosity, I asked my dealer to program the daytime running lights. They said they had but I don't know what to do to turn them on. Do they just come on automatically or do you have to leave, for example, the light switch on park?

Mick

·
Registered
225 Posts
Are the day running lights just the high beams running at low power? or does it include the under bumper foglights, 'cos that'd look schmick if it did?

·
Dead Man's Curve? Feh.
1,176 Posts
clarus said:
Are the day running lights just the high beams running at low power? or does it include the under bumper foglights, 'cos that'd look schmick if it did?
DRLs are the high beams at 50% power - fog lamps won't illuminate unless the headlights are switched on.

·
Registered
779 Posts
In Canada where DRL are mandatory they are completely seperate from the Xenon lights. For example I often just run on the side lights only which has the effect of giving me lights to be seen by - front and back - when it is too light to need headlights. In this position the Xenon ones are not lit.

I would really like to find a way to put my fog lights on at that point as having xenon lights and fog lights on at the same time in fog is idiocy. the purpose of fog lights, and the reason they are located low down is to avoid scatter and reflections back in fog. At best the MINI lights can be called driving lights and all they do is fill int the space near the curbs - and make you think you are cool.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
clarus said:
What's 'schmick'?

The DRL's are just the halogen high beam run at like 6v or something low. They get you seen, but don't blind anyone. Since the car does not know the difference between high beams and DRL, the fog lamps automatically switch off. You cannot turn the fog lamps on with just the running lights, unless the hand-brake is up, and the DRL's are off. So you can pose for a PIC like that, but as soon as you drive, the DRL's are on, the fogs are off. The fogs can be operated in the usual manner with the low-beam (dipped beam) and fogs (for when it's foggy).

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
GordonD said:
In Canada where DRL are mandatory they are completely seperate from the Xenon lights. For example I often just run on the side lights only which has the effect of giving me lights to be seen by - front and back - when it is too light to need headlights. In this position the Xenon ones are not lit.

Your car is different from the rest then. The DRL's are activated when the hand-brake is released, and deactivated when the hand-brake is set. This occurs regardless if the running lights are on or off. When the low-beams (dipped beam) is on, the DRL's also turn off.
So, in all the MINI's I have seen, you cannot drive around with running lights only. DRL's and running lights, yes.

I would really like to find a way to put my fog lights on at that point as having xenon lights and fog lights on at the same time in fog is idiocy. the purpose of fog lights, and the reason they are located low down is to avoid scatter and reflections back in fog. At best the MINI lights can be called driving lights and all they do is fill int the space near the curbs - and make you think you are cool.
Pull the hand-brake up just the very first click, to make the switch contact, without making the rear brakes do anything. This douses the DRL's, and you can do as you please. However, for the most part, the Xenon's are such a constrained, narrow beam, you won't experience much back-scattering. I drove in really dense fog, the Xenon's did plume in front of the hood, but not infront of my windscreen. They also didn't make it to the ground, so the fogs did a good job of illuminating the lines, ditches, curbs, etc... At this point, you're better off sitting at the side of the road though.

·
Registered
779 Posts
DRLs

I am pretty sure you are not right on this but I'll have to wait until i get home tonight to be sure.

The headlight is a composite unit with 2 distinct "bulbs' If you just drive away with no lights switched on the DRL's come on in a smaller circular unit.

If you turn on the side light (running lights in the UK) all of the back and fron 'coloured' lights come on but the Xenons do not.

if you turn on the xenons this light goes out and the other (blue) one lights up. Going from high beam to low does not switch between the two different components.

Having said all of that I will check it out tonight

·
Registered
141 Posts
Daytime Running Lights

Can someone please tell me what the deal is with the daytime running lights (DRL)? From this thread, it appears that the DRL are ON by default. I certainly hope not!!! Is there at least an option to turn them OFF?

Thanks!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Re: Daytime Running Lights

plaztik said:
Can someone please tell me what the deal is with the daytime running lights (DRL)? From this thread, it appears that the DRL are ON by default. I certainly hope not!!! Is there at least an option to turn them OFF?

Thanks!
Your dealer can turn them off. It's one of those programming options.

I don't see why you wouldn't want DRL, though:
  • Your insurance is cheaper
  • It's safer--people can see you easier
  • If you happen to forget to turn your headlights on at night, at least you will still be able to see

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks, majormike. I had never heard of it making your insurance cheaper. I'll check into the added value, but I doubt I would save enough money for me to change my mind.

Honestly, I just think they look ridiculous. Lights on during the day is major overkill as far as I'm concerned. Why not water the lawn when it's raining too?

I don't begrudge anyone's preference, but I just do not want to be forced to look like I'm part of a funeral procession all the time.

My $0.02. :D

·
Registered
252 Posts
Re: Daytime Running Lights

plaztik said:

Thanks!
They're on by default in Canada for all cars since 1990, I think it's a nice safety feature.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Re: DRLs

GordonD said:
The headlight is a composite unit with 2 distinct "bulbs'.

Yes:
1. Low beam (dipped beam) with a halogen or Xenon bulb.
2. High bean (main beam) with a halogen bulb.
If you just drive away with no lights switched on the DRL's come on in a smaller circular unit.

Which is the aperature for the high beam (main beam), and the bulb operated at a lesser power (maybe half).
If you turn on the side light (running lights in the UK) all of the back and fron 'coloured' lights come on but the Xenons do not.

Right, these are your side lights, marker lights, or running lights depending on whom you ask. Your DRL's or high beam (main beam) at half-power will still come on, once you drop the hand-brake. Your 'headlights' are not yet switched on.
if you turn on the xenons this light goes out and the other (blue) one lights up. Going from high beam to low does not switch between the two different components.

Correct again, your DRL's turn off when the headlights are activated. The car defaults to high beam off. Flip on the high beam, and the halogen bulbs in the smaller aperature circle turn on as well as the main beams.

Try this. With the headlights and marker lights off, release the hand-brake to activate the DRL's. Now operate the flash-to-pass function. The high beam bulbs will go from half-power to full power.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Quick and Dirty Illustration.

Off.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Low Beam. (Dipped Beam)

Attachments

·