1,646 Posts
High Beam. (Main Beam)

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
noahe said:

What's 'schmick'?

The DRL's are just the halogen high beam run at like 6v or something low. They get you seen, but don't blind anyone. Since the car does not know the difference between high beams and DRL, the fog lamps automatically switch off. You cannot turn the fog lamps on with just the running lights, unless the hand-brake is up, and the DRL's are off. So you can pose for a PIC like that, but as soon as you drive, the DRL's are on, the fogs are off. The fogs can be operated in the usual manner with the low-beam (dipped beam) and fogs (for when it's foggy).
In the UK I believe that you can run with the 'sidelights' on and the foglights on. (The headlights off). We don't have daytime running lights as far as I am aware.
I have nor checked whether high beam and foglights on at the same time is possible, I think it is however.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
3GGG said:
In the UK I believe that you can run with the 'sidelights' on and the foglights on. (The headlights off). We don't have daytime running lights as far as I am aware.
I have nor checked whether high beam and foglights on at the same time is possible, I think it is however.
You can run the sidelights (running lights) and the fog lamps IF you have DRL's disabled as a feature, or have the hand-brake pulled up, (parked) if you have DRL's enabled.

You cannot run the fog lamps and the high beam (main beam) at the same time. If you activate the flash to pass feature, the fog lamps go out for a moment while the high beams flash, and then re-appear, BUT if you switch on the high beam, the fog lights turn off, and you need to switch them back on with the toggle. (If I remember correctly).

·
Registered
352 Posts
noahe said:

You can run the sidelights (running lights) and the fog lamps IF you have DRL's disabled as a feature, or have the hand-brake pulled up, (parked) if you have DRL's enabled.

You cannot run the fog lamps and the high beam (main beam) at the same time. If you activate the flash to pass feature, the fog lamps go out for a moment while the high beams flash, and then re-appear, BUT if you switch on the high beam, the fog lights turn off, and you need to switch them back on with the toggle. (If I remember correctly).
I just went out and checked, my UK MC can have the front foglights and high (main)beams on at the same time. The front foglights appear to work just as long as at least the sidelights are on.

FYI
When running with sidelights only, the rear foglights can only be put on if the front foglights are on first. If headlights are on then the rear foglights can be on without the front foglights.

Hope that covers all possibilities!

Oh - if the ignition is switched off the xenon lights go off...

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
3GGG said:
Hope that covers all possibilities!

Oh - if the ignition is switched off the xenon lights go off...
All the possibilities and then some. The DRL enabled cars function a little differently.

The Xenon's CAN stay on, if you've enabled the "Follow me home lights".

·
Registered
352 Posts
noahe said:

All the possibilities and then some. The DRL enabled cars function a little differently.

The Xenon's CAN stay on, if you've enabled the "Follow me home lights".
Thanks!
I must get that done because I find it dangerous to have the headlights go out if the ignition is switched off.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
You don't mean the Xenon's go out if you stall... Only if you switch the ignition off. Why would you do this in a situation requiring them?

For example, anyone who has ever stalled the MINI, knows you can't just turn the key clockwise to re-start. For some reason, you have to turn it back counter-clockwise one position, and then clockwise, then clockwise again, and hold it against the spring until the engine catches (almost immediately).

During this brief period of off, and then on, start, do the lights go out? Worse, could the steering column lock?

Basically, if you somehow stalled it on the highway, could you re-start while rolling? In the dark?

·
Registered
352 Posts
noahe said:
You don't mean the Xenon's go out if you stall... Only if you switch the ignition off. Why would you do this in a situation requiring them?

For example, anyone who has ever stalled the MINI, knows you can't just turn the key clockwise to re-start. For some reason, you have to turn it back counter-clockwise one position, and then clockwise, then clockwise again, and hold it against the spring until the engine catches (almost immediately).

During this brief period of off, and then on, start, do the lights go out? Worse, could the steering column lock?

Basically, if you somehow stalled it on the highway, could you re-start while rolling? In the dark?
I think that the xenon lights only go out when the ignition switch is completely off, not at the the 2nd or 3rd position, so it is not a problem on stalling.

However while having to stop the engine to open my garage (because garage key is on MINI keyfob) I would like the xenon lights to remain on during that period, it also saves wear and tear on the lamp stopping /starting while I open the garage door. I guess the option you mentioned will solve that problem for me.

·
Registered
779 Posts
did the big test last night and discovered I was wrong about how the lights work. IN CANADA where DRL are mandatory the small circular light acts as both the the DRL and the addtional light when high beams are selected. i.e. low beams gives Xenon only high beams give Xenon plus smaller lights.

the Xeneon is so bright i can't tell if small light is the same power as when it is being used as DRL.

One lives and learns

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
GordonD said:
the Xeneon is so bright i can't tell if small light is the same power as when it is being used as DRL.
Drive up to a wall. Look at the light reflected back from the DRL's. Now blink the flash-to-pass high beam stalk. You'll see just how much brighter the halogens are on high-beam than they are on DRL.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
3GGG said:
However while having to stop the engine to open my garage (because garage key is on MINI keyfob) I would like the xenon lights to remain on during that period, it also saves wear and tear on the lamp stopping /starting while I open the garage door. I guess the option you mentioned will solve that problem for me.
Or... Get one of these. Where I live, you can get one just about anywhere they sell keys. It's a quick disconnect, uses a cam and some ball bearings. It will not seperate accidentially, and pops off easily. Cheap, at about 2 bucks.

Attachments

21 - 31 of 31 Posts