MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why all of a sudden is everyone de-chroming their MINIs?!

It started off with a few people de-chroming the beltline (which I like :cool:) and now there are de-chromed headlight rings (personally I dont like this as it looks like the poor thing has 2 black eyes..), de-chromed badges, grilles, door handles, fuel caps......

...I dont get it :eek:

·
Where does that road go?
12,574 Posts
Some people just don't like chrome. Some people have no taste. :p

The chrome on the MINI isn't over the top though.

·
The de Chromed MINI
3,218 Posts
You missed off the inside of both headlights and tail lights :D

Why not, its all part of being different when I did mine, many people were just going mad sticking as much chrome as possible on, so I just went the other way to be different, looks like I need to think of another look :)

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You missed off the inside of both headlights and tail lights :D

Why not, its all part of being different when I did mine, many people were just going mad sticking as much chrome as possible on, so I just went the other way to be different, looks like I need to think of another look :)
Noooo, thats even worse :p 2 black eyes :p

·
Miss Independent
791 Posts
Its simple. because they dont like chrome :smile:

·
Registered
27 Posts
So, does de-chroming mean you are taking the 'offending' chromes bit off :puzzled: or are you blacking out the chrome bits.
I on the other hand am trying to 'bling' aka chrome my mini :cool:

·
Crakle and pop!!
438 Posts
I wouldnt add any more chrome to my Mini than you get to start off with (belt line, filler cap, lights and door handles) I have a black car and think removing all the chrome on a black car makes it look a bit bland somehow, but i dont prefer loads of chrome everywhere. I think Mini got it about right personally. Always nice to see every Mini different though :) so why not if you fancy it!

·
Mini Design Philosopher
1,028 Posts
I think MINI got it right too. Too much chrome is a bad thing IMHO, sometimes I do wonder whether the MCS fuel filler cap is a bit much. Though I have to admit I've had chrome mirrors on both my MINIs. I like it when people de-chrome their grills, but I wouldn't do it around the headlights personally. :D

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
James, that black one makes it look more like colour coding, which to me looks ok.

I dont have a problem with people de-chroming, they are welcome to do what they like :)D) but something like headlight rings being blacked out on a non black car, just looks well...odd :eek: and its just the fact that it seems to be spreading like I dont know what :p Thats just my opinion mind.

·
heavy foot = light wallet
453 Posts
James, those 2 examples there make it look more like colour coding, which to me looks ok.

I dont have a problem with people de-chroming, they are welcome to do what they like :)D) but something like headlight rings being blacked out on a non black car, just looks well...odd :eek: and its just the fact that it seems to be spreading like I dont know what :p Thats just my opinion mind.
and you are indeed entitled to have one.

i just like the look, but colour coding on a black car is surly the same as blacking out :p

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
because it is different. yes, there may be a few people who have done it, it isnt a dot on concidering there is over 1million MINIs which arn't de-chromed. modifying your car is all about being different :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
It also depends on the body colour. The example shown in grey would look brilliant with black trim on a standard MINI.

A black body needs a little more attention, ie tints etc to cut the mustard ;)

I love the chrome on my PW Cooper - gives it that slightly retro look :D

As you say.. its individual.

·
Registered
460 Posts
James, that black one makes it look more like colour coding, which to me looks ok.

ah someone who thinks the same as me at last :D i agree if i had a black or dark silver S i would have the trim and chrome coded to the paint but on some colours it looks very wrong like i have a red / white cooper atm and the only chrome i removed was the grill (fitted aero grill) as red needs some chrome the same way BRG does

its all a matter of perfect colour balance (i used to and still do some graphics and art commissions so am totally uppity about colour balance my cooper doesnt have a single sticker or graphic as it would upset the colour balance :aargh:)

but as to why its been a big thing in the states / VW scene for ages called joey modding where not only is the chrome etc blacked out but also are the internals of the headlights some owners dismantle and paint the parts some just tint the lenses (no it dont work at night lol) pobsey on here did it to his DS S and it looks fantastic on that colour as does Dopamine's (the black s in King James's post above)

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
it is a different style of modification! That is all.

i like the chrome but not too much. I have chrome beltine and headlight rings and handles and that is it (changed to S bumpers) but im blacking out the mini logos soon and that is it.

it does look good though fully blacked out minis.

·
Registered
22,101 Posts
I think it's all personal taste - I bought into the whole MINI retro chrome thing when I bought the car :eek: even added the side vents in chrome.

Over time I have got tired of it though.

The MINI is a very pretty car and the chrome makes that even more so. If you want a tougher looking MINI you (particularly 1st gen) then most go down the route of the aero kit and grilles etc to make it look tougher - as I have :cool: The next logical step is to de-chrome as it makes the car meaner ;)

As your a girly you like the chrome pretty look Jo :p (waits to get flamed even though I'm the most non sexist person on here but couldn't resist that dig:p)

I can totally see the effect and look others are trying to achieve from de-chroming. I do actually think it looks good on CR/W and have even been considering it on mine - the ever evolving soopercooper ;) :D:D:D

1 - 20 of 67 Posts