MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Kaptain Krutaroo
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone have this done or was it offered to them? I'm also curious if the dealer charged you to have any options changed (i.e., DRL's on/off, auto locking on/off).

Thanks in advance for any input. My car is inbound to the dealer as we speak! :)

Kurt Collins

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Using the on-line owner's manual and information I gained here on MINI2 about memory settings, I called my dealer several days ago about arranging to have my car configured the way I want it.

My salesperson didn't seem to know most of the memory options detailed in the on-line owner's manual (13 of them). She kept calling them "key functions" (worrying since most of them have nothing to do with the key) and she only knew of about 4 memory settings. She thought the on-line owner's manual I was looking at listed memory settings that were not available on US MINIs.

Perhaps so, but I told her my concern was that my MINI might have the capability of having these functions determined by the car's new owner, but I don’t want to miss out just because her dealership just doesn't know about them (as happened in UK shortly after the MINI was launched when MINI2 members were much more knowledgeable about the car's capabilities than their local dealers were). For example, I want the wipers to be speed sensitive when on intermittent setting (faster speed = faster wiping) This is supposed to be a ‘memory’ setting. My salesperson was not aware of this feature (!!!!) and kept thinking I was referring to the rain sensing option, which is unavailable until the 2003 models. My hope is the “speed sensitive when on intermittent“ setting is a standard factory default (why wouldn’t someone want it?) and therefore it’s not a memory feature they are familiar with adjusting.

Both my dealer and I plan on calling MINIUSA tomorrow (closed today because of the holiday) and get to the bottom of what is available. Getting all this stuff right the first time is very important to me as I'll never revisit the NY dealer where I am buying my car again. I don't want to be paying another dealer to set these functions because the NY dealer hasn't caught up with how to program them yet!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree with you Bruce. I will have my car on Wednesday. Luckily, my dealer knew about the memory settings, I told them what ones I wanted and hopefully they will be done when I get the car.
I was not aware of the intermittent wiper setting like you mentioned. Is that not an factory option?

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Apex said:
I agree with you Bruce. I will have my car on Wednesday. Luckily, my dealer knew about the memory settings, I told them what ones I wanted and hopefully they will be done when I get the car....
Apex, can you please be specific about what memory settings your dealer allowed you to configure? And would you mind telling us the name of your dealer? It could help the rest of us convince our dealerships that these things can be done.

Apex said:
...I was not aware of the intermittent wiper setting like you mentioned. Is that not an factory option?
Below is an image from the MINIUSA site. It shows both the standard speed senstive feature (which the on-line owner's manual lists as a memory setting) as well as the optional rain sensing wipers that are also speed sensitive. It was enough to confuse my salesperson who should know the difference between these two things.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Apex, can you please be specific about what memory settings your dealer allowed you t

Bruce, the name of my dealer is New Country MINI in Hartford. About a 1 1/2 hours drive from where you are buying your car. There phone number is 800-735-7635. My sales person is Ellen, tell her Jon the MINI addict sent you.

Page 41 of the owners manual shows the 13 options. I requested:
1)Signals an acknowledgement when locking or unlocking your vehicle.
2)Selective central locking.
3) "Follow me home lamps" (headlamps stay on for 30 seconds after you shut them off after turning off the key).

Good luck.:)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I also stand corrected on the speed sensitive wipers Bruce. It is rain sensitive wipers that is the factory option.

There is a speed-dependent windshield wiper option in the memory system. Not sure what it does. Has anyone had this programmed?

·
Registered
177 Posts
BruceK said:
She kept calling them "key functions" (worrying since most of them have nothing to do with the key) and she only knew of about 4 memory settings.
My dealer also refers to the memory settings as 'key memory' - it's a BMW thing. You might be better off talking to the service people directly. Also, my dealership have only just got an updated software disk for newer MINI's - though they only enquired about it because I kept annoying them. :D

I don't think the UK should be any different to the US in this circumstance.

Potts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Re: Apex, can you please be specific about what memory settings your dealer allowed you t

Apex said:
Page 41 of the owners manual shows the 13 options.
Here is the list of memory function the manual lists on page 41. I'm not sure if all of these are available or not though.

Vehicle Memory

What the system can do

Your MINI Center can provide you with details on the capabilities of the Vehicle Memort System.

Examples for Vehicle Memory:

1) Signals an acknowledgement when locking or unlocking your vehicle
2**) Automatic Locking after starting off
3) Automatic unlocking when the parking brake is applied
4**) Selective central locking - first open driver's door then the whole car.
5) Automatic opening/closing of sliding/tilt sunroof
6) Opening/closing windows and/or sliding/tilt sunroof via remote control
7) Speed-dependent winshield wiper
8) Automatic activation of winshield wipers on cleaning
9**) "Follow me home" lamps - low beams light up for a short time after engine has been switched off
10) locking when engine is running (with second key)
11) Stop function of power windows on opening/closing
12**) activating/deactivating daytime driving lamps
13) switching on interior lamps via remote control

**Only options I've seen confrimed as programmable

·
Registered
10 Posts
My dealer didn't have the latest software to do most of the mem configs in the manual. Odly enough, they didn't enable daytame running lights but they managed to program comfort opening (windows and sunroof) thru the remote key.

Wipers were not programmed either.

The trick is, does your dealer have the correct software.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Re: Re: Apex, can you please be specific about what memory settings your dealer allowed you t

Colorado "S" said:

Here is the list of memory function the manual lists on page 41. I'm not sure if all of these are available or not though.

Vehicle Memory

What the system can do

Your MINI Center can provide you with details on the capabilities of the Vehicle Memort System.

Examples for Vehicle Memory:

1) Signals an acknowledgement when locking or unlocking your vehicle
2**) Automatic Locking after starting off
3) Automatic unlocking when the parking brake is applied
4**) Selective central locking - first open driver's door then the whole car.
5) Automatic opening/closing of sliding/tilt sunroof
6) Opening/closing windows and/or sliding/tilt sunroof via remote control
7) Speed-dependent winshield wiper
8) Automatic activation of winshield wipers on cleaning
9**) "Follow me home" lamps - low beams light up for a short time after engine has been switched off
10) locking when engine is running (with second key)
11) Stop function of power windows on opening/closing
12**) activating/deactivating daytime driving lamps
13) switching on interior lamps via remote control

**Only options I've seen confrimed as programmable
Can we choose to have all programmed into the memory? Is there a maximum number of options stored in the memory? In Canada, follow-me home lamps & speed dependent wiper are on the standard equipments list. Not too sure since I haven't collected my car yet.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ok folks,

Click this link for the memory options available on early build cars: Note: Comfort opening is there.

http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/potts/earlymini.jpg

Click this link for my May 2002 build Cooper: Note: the fields are blank because my dealer didn't have the software upgrade - He's now got it so I'll post an update after it's been in on the 8th June.

http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/potts/latermini.jpg

It's interesting that park distance control and sunroof options are listed even though my car doesn't have these. Also, no more comfort opening. :(

I don't think there will be any difference in car/key memory between europe and north America - I'm pretty sure the US/UK specific stuff will be hard-coded in the factory.

As for what is says in the manual, mine's a right load of bollocks! :eek:

Potts
:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello of forum members, I is again here and has a question. would like to let the DRL activate on my 2005 Cooper S. Which light shines then when my car is running? And with which strength? Do I have to switch the light switch on? Does one of you have a complete list for the memory possibilities with my mini dealer? Thank you and glad Christmas :blblack:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts