MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just dropped my 04 MCS (Sept '03 build) off this morning at the dealers. I'm having them listen to my noisy thrust bearing, as well as the now infamous ticking noise from the harmonic balancer (when under load).

The service guy said there is a recall on my car, and insisted I HAVE to get the new software flashed while it's there. When I told him that I had no stumble / yo-yo and did not want V38, he said it was due to a gas cap sensor failure? I informed him that I had no such faulty sensor problems, but he said it was an official recall on my car, and they HAD to do it. (Side note: How can the software affect a faulty sensor?)

Should I be worried about the update? What can I expect? I have heard the car feels slower after V38? Should I try calling and arguing again this morning before they update it?

On the plus side, I did manage to score a new Z4 with a manual transmission as my loaner. I think I may have to go drive a bit over lunch. . . . .

Thanks in advance for your advice

NTHUSIAST
:indi:

·
Registered
444 Posts
emissions related

Saw my dealer last week Thursday for a different problem. I am still on my stock program and told them I did not want any updates.

Dealer told me they'd been informed all cars with software like mine original 03 build were to be updated. Said it had to do with emissions.

My software has not been 'updated' :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
V.38 Blows Digital Chunks!!!

took my car in w/ a rough idling v. 37 and came out w/ a rough idle and a dying V.38
tell them you'llhold out for V. 39
I have an 05 MCS not sure if there is a difference in software(wouldn't think si if they are on the same version #'s)

·
Twincharge???
2,227 Posts
Mine's a Jan 02 car and got a v38, tell you what, the car feels a bit better at lower rpm's after it got flashed. Is the dealer charging you for it? Mine is but I insisted so I guess that's fine...but if they insisted you to flash it and makes you pay for it, I smell b u l l s h i t somewhere.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update

So they flashed the new software on (turns out to be V39, which is essentially the exact same thing as V38) last week. They didn't charge me anything, as it is a recall from MINI.

I have to say I miss my V37. I never had any yo-yo/stumble problems with my 04 MCS. Still don't, thankfully. What I have noticed since the new software install, is that the car is very abrupt in its translation of accelleration inputs. No matter how hard I try to drive the car smoothly, I end up with very slight bounces. I can work really hard to ease into the accellerator and ease back off while cruising along, but the car still bounces! Never had this problem before, so I did some digging.

NOTE: To experience/imagine the bounce affect, imagine riding with someone on the highway who can't cruise at a given speed. They feed accelleration, then lift and coast, feed accelleration, then lift and coast.

Appears that the new software retards the opening and closing of the throttle body. This was done to minimize the yo-yo and the stumble problem. But when this approach is combined with MIINI's drive-by-wire throttle, it's a very bad combo resulting in the afore mentioned bounce. It seems that MINI solved a severe problem experienced by a few, by inflicting a minor annoyance on many, many more.

Oh yeah. So they replaced my entire transmission ("Excessive wear due to mechanical failure.") after only 17K miles. I got a remanufactured replacement transmission. :mad: And the best part is, I still have the clutch release bearing rattle and the harmonic balancer ticking noise. Took the car back in today, got them to admit to the clutch noise (they filed report with BMW/MINI), but they are still caliming the ticking is "normal."

Gotta love it.

NTHUSIAST
:indi:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.