MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anyone know the cost of gettnig Mini dealership to modify the fuel filler so that I won't be able to fill with unleaded instead of diesel?

I have nightmares about this, managed to do it to an (ex) girfriend's Focus D a few years back and was not popular...

Many thanks :smile:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tnoy you underestimate my ability to look straight past a sticker!
I am sure that there is a mod that can make the filler only accommodate a diesel pump, no?
Cheers

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
I'm sure there's something you can buy from halfords that should do the trick! Its a big problem in diesels - easy to put petrol in a diesel but not the other way round due to the pump being wider on diesel than it is on petrol!

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
TBH ... putting petrol in a D is not that big a deal. Costs about £25-£50 to have the tank and lines drained but other than that it generally doesn't do any harm. The other way round D in an unleaded can lead to clogged injectors and filters etc so is much more expensive. TBH I'd not worry about it unless something is easy to fit and cheap as the costs involved with clearing apetrol from a D is not high really. Its not too easy to now get D in an unleaded though due to petrol cars having narrower nozzle holes do a D pump cant go in them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From memory it cost hundreds to get the tank drained and car sorted after I hade driven a Focus D with petrol in it. By sounds of it, a large 'DIESEL' sticker might be the way forward for me!
Many thanks to all :)

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
really... we used to pay a local garage £45 I think when I worked for Avis. Took them about a half a day to fit it in with other work. We had customers constasntly filling deisel pugeot 406s etc up with unleaded. On a couple of occasions people managed to fill desiel into petrol cars (very rare) it cost us about £300-400 in parts and labour due to injectors neding work and filter etc.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dont know what age your vehicle is but presume it is pretty new, I was told when I caollect mine the other week that it is impossible to insert and unleaded pump into the car. SOmething to do with two contacts that touch the pump and realease the metal shutter so you can insert the pump fully. Don't know whether the pumps are slightly different sizes but he said the shutter wont open if you try to put an unleaded pump in??

I'd give them a bell and find out before you spend any money.

K

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
thats doesn't sound real to me coleen...the MINI D I looked at had a flap inside the tube but it didn't require the nozzle to ground anything to open it. The D nozzle is wider than UL so you can't get D into UL cars anymore but as the UL nozzle is thinner it will still push a D flap open?!

Except I was reading about fords new system that only lets you get one type of nozzle in to the correct car now... just glanced some advertising gumpf when reading about the focus and mondeo as we were looking at one before opting for the new S40 volvo

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
my advise would be before filling the car is to check you have the right pump, check again and check again.

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
or never buy a smelly deisel ;) ... oh hang on I already did it with the S40 drivE rdesign :( lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
What the dealer said was that there were two metal contacts at the top and bottom of the gap in front of the flap and that the nozzle has to be touching both of those contacts in order for the flap to open and allow the pump in.

If the diesel pump is a larger circumference than the unleaded then this would work wouldn't it? If the forecourts empty one day I may try it out lol

K

·
Registered
129 Posts
I put unleaded in my old diesel clio, thankfully I realised as soon as I returned the nozzle so I didn't start it. I had AA cover and they wanted to charge me around £200 to be towed about 25 miles to the nearest garage that was open (it was 11pm at night). I said no thanks and got them to tow me home which was free. The next day I pumped it through myself by unscrewing one of the fuel pipes and using the hand prime pump that was meant to be used if you ever ran out.

I then filled the car will diesel and it ran smoother than ever! I believe it can be recommended that occasionally you put a small amount of petrol in as it helps to clean certain parts out - maybe a myth though....
A local garage wanted to charge me £95.

·
MPG Slag
29 Posts
Halfords sell a box that sits behind the flap and speaks when you open the flap.

A bit like a talking birthday card!!!

Less than a fiver! Happy days...

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Halfords sell a box that sits behind the flap and speaks when you open the flap.

A bit like a talking birthday card!!!

Less than a fiver! Happy days...
lol ... "happy days" ... I love it! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts