MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This very disturbing and embarrassing squeaking noise from outside (front) has developed about 3-4 months ago, it only happens when the car is warmed up and when turning left. Dealer had major difficulty to find out what it is and at last told me the noise is caused by one of the brake pads dragging the disc. It could be true because the noise is gone under braking.

Should I change the pads and discs? But just yesterday I had my wheels changed and I see the both pads and discs seem to have alot of life left. Should I have some private shop to look at it again? Do you guys have any experience with this? Please help me out if you have any sort of advice because this has seriously gone for too long! :angry:

Thanks in advance.

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
If Im unsure about any advice/info that a garage is giving me I get a second opinion from another garage - doesnt hurt to get more info...

Something worth noting is if the pad is dragging on the disc then it will wear them down quicker than normal and you will need to change them soon anyway, plus you will still have the noise.

If it were me I would ask another garage - I would want to find out why this noise developed before changing the discs+pads as it may continue after you have changed the disc/pads anyway??? Hope you get things sorted.

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
This very disturbing and embarrassing squeaking noise from outside (front) has developed about 3-4 months ago, it only happens when the car is warmed up and when turning left. Dealer had major difficulty to find out what it is and at last told me the noise is caused by one of the brake pads dragging the disc. It could be true because the noise is gone under braking.

Should I change the pads and discs? But just yesterday I had my wheels changed and I see the both pads and discs seem to have alot of life left. Should I have some private shop to look at it again? Do you guys have any experience with this? Please help me out if you have any sort of advice because this has seriously gone for too long! :angry:

Thanks in advance.
Mine did this.

I changed the pads just before christmas and then changed the pads in February. The pads were done not long after that.

Two things caused it.

I had a kink in my brake lines meaning that fluid could be pushed one way but not the other therefore making the pad stick to the disk for longer periods of time.

The other reasons was because there wasnt the lubricant stuff- oxy something put on the pads so they were getting stuck to the caliper making it squeek.

So pads are either done/ sticking to the caliper.

And mine went quiet when braking as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks alot for the help guys!!

I will definitely take it to another garage to give it another look!

Darth - I will definitely mention your case to the mechanic, hoepfully thats what my problem is too!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do you have runflat tyres? Are they quite worn/old ?

I had this problem, also only when turning left, garage changed the disks and pads but it turned out to be the worn runflats.

It turns out that they can make very strange noises as they wear, like a metal on metal rubbing / grating noise.

Try changing your wheels front to rear and see if it makes any difference. If it does then it must be something to do with the tyres/wheels.

I've justy had 4 non-runflat tyres fitted and the problem has gone away 100%.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have runflat tyres? Are they quite worn/old ?

I had this problem, also only when turning left, garage changed the disks and pads but it turned out to be the worn runflats.

It turns out that they can make very strange noises as they wear, like a metal on metal rubbing / grating noise.

Try changing your wheels front to rear and see if it makes any difference. If it does then it must be something to do with the tyres/wheels.

I've justy had 4 non-runflat tyres fitted and the problem has gone away 100%.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for your advice Polly :smile:

But my car does not have runflats, and I just changed to brand new wheels and tires. I am so sick of the sound now :angry:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts