MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I brought a R53 Cooper S Late 2005 about 2 months ago. The first 3 weeks with the car was fine. After that the oil light started to come on at Idle when the engine was warmed up, this was diagnosed as a faulty oil pump which was replaced under warranty. I then got the car back and 1 week later the tensioner went, sounded like a tractor. I then got the car back once again with a new tensioner and chain. Again it was fine when i got it back, for about 3 weeks this time. But now for the last maybe 5/6 days on a cold morning the rattle is back. That being said it hasn't gone completely yet, it will rattle on a cold start for about 1 second and then completely go.

What could be causing this, i can't imagine it being oil related as its a new pump and the oil light hasn't come on since the pump was replaced a month ago so you would assume the new pump is doing its job, thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
You mention a new tensioner and chain, did they also replace both chain guides and both the cam and crank sprocket ?

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Hey everyone,

I brought a R53 Cooper S Late 2005 about 2 months ago. The first 3 weeks with the car was fine. After that the oil light started to come on at Idle when the engine was warmed up, this was diagnosed as a faulty oil pump which was replaced under warranty. I then got the car back and 1 week later the tensioner went, sounded like a tractor. I then got the car back once again with a new tensioner and chain. Again it was fine when i got it back, for about 3 weeks this time. But now for the last maybe 5/6 days on a cold morning the rattle is back. That being said it hasn't gone completely yet, it will rattle on a cold start for about 1 second and then completely go.

What could be causing this, i can't imagine it being oil related as its a new pump and the oil light hasn't come on since the pump was replaced a month ago so you would assume the new pump is doing its job, thanks for any help.[/QUOTE
oil pump changed car has run with low or no oil pressure at some point this would cause wear to crankshaft bearings if pressure was so low it allowed the bearing surfaces to meet,, is this rattle a warning of crank shaft bigend bearing, i have found pretty much most cars that have oil pump failures end up with crankshaft bearing issues,, this said i have done cars and replaced the crankshaft bearings and got away with it,,
reality is as soon as oil light comes on there is no pressure so damage will be caused

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey everyone,

What could be causing this, i can't imagine it being oil related as its a new pump and the oil light hasn't come on since the pump was replaced a month ago so you would assume the new pump is doing its job, thanks for any help.[/QUOTE
oil pump changed car has run with low or no oil pressure at some point this would cause wear to crankshaft bearings if pressure was so low it allowed the bearing surfaces to meet,, is this rattle a warning of crank shaft bigend bearing, i have found pretty much most cars that have oil pump failures end up with crankshaft bearing issues,, this said i have done cars and replaced the crankshaft bearings and got away with it,,
reality is as soon as oil light comes on there is no pressure so damage will be caused
It doesn't sound like a bottom end issue, maybe the bottom end is slightly damaged and breaking the tensioner, doesn't sound possible to me but i'm not a mechanic. All i know is what i said above and that the sound is on the drivers side and it has identical symptoms to when the tensioner went a month ago, i've also had it diagnosed and they said its the tensioner, just weird no idea what could be making it go again.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
If your previous failure resulted in debris in the sump from either the oil pump body (there is a part that gets knocked off by timing chain slap) or chain guides. may be worth considering that there may be blockage in the oil filter housing and or the oil pickup inside the sump. If you pull the tensioner and compress it by hand, you will find its stiff if its worn or faulty. they could have damaged the chain guide slightly when they released the tensioner before starting the engine or they may have started the engine and let oil pressure release the tensioner which is a lazy way of doing it. I would be pulling the tensioner and chain guides and doing an inspection of them as a minimum. Also, drop the sump and inspect for debris and check the oil pickup gauze filter. PITA but not much other option and dropping the sump will allow you a visual inspection of the bottom end so you can look for obvious problems or marks that shouldn't be there from bits of metal flying around.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
It doesn't sound like a bottom end issue, maybe the bottom end is slightly damaged and breaking the tensioner, doesn't sound possible to me but i'm not a mechanic. All i know is what i said above and that the sound is on the drivers side and it has identical symptoms to when the tensioner went a month ago, i've also had it diagnosed and they said its the tensioner, just weird no idea what could be making it go again.
milpol pretty much covered my next message thank you,, just added bit removing the oil filter and checking it for metal particles use a clean magnet will get the steel bits but alloy bits is a clean the filter with egr cleaned or something like it in a clean container bit like panning for gold, also the tension-er has a habit of locking up if used a cheap one non OM have found the febi bilsteen to be good brand

1 - 7 of 7 Posts