MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Appreciate if someone can help. I replaced a cracked thermostat on my R56 2007 Cooper. Upon starting I get violent vibrations on the engine per the clip:

I removed the driver side wheel liner, belts seem intact, nothing has been shredded/chewed up. So not sure if it's, the water pump, friction pulley, harmonic dampener, or timing. Is there a methodical way to check?

Any help is appreciated as I'm keen to get this back on the road else the missus will do my head in!

Thanks in advance.

Sparky

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have you checked every inch of the drive belt? I have had a few now where there are chunks of belt missing ,it can only happen in one place too. This could be misheard for an engine knock noise.
I’d suggest removing the belt and running it up first to confirm if it’s from this area or somewhere else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for your assistance. The belt looked intact and smooth on the outside, slight cracks on the inside where it meets the four ridges of the pulley.

Water pump pulley looks potentially worn but hard to tell without comparing the rubber against another new pulley, looking at oem ebay pics I don't think they come with much rubber thickness (or they just look similar to mine at first glance).

Would the engine appear to knock and shudder so loudly just due to the above?

Just to note the engine runs hot straight away and the coolant level doesn't fluctuate with revs. I'm thinking perhaps there is still air trapped stopping coolant flowing to the engine after the cicoli thermostat install.
Slightly concerned the engine is struggling so much like its going to blow up!

Attachments

·
Registered
919 Posts
there may be a piece missing somewhere, or debris on the friction wheel, you need a new belt that's for sure, so when it's off you'll be able to check the pump wheel coating etc,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts