MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
MINI 2 Sponsor GT Tuning
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, ok we are close to releasing our debut performance product for the R56 MCS. There has been alot of talk of big power gains from cat and/or cat-back changes, so we decided to look there first. One thing that never seemed to get answered was 'Is it the cat or the cat back thats holding up the power or both?
We've had a good look at the cat-back and tbh the stock design is very good! It is very straight ,approx 2.25" diameter and the silencers are straight through; the rear silencer running 2 pipes internally in parrellel (a good thing). Im confident this would flow 300bhp without any problem. You certainly dont need 3" diameter. So in summary if you want more noise or a different look go for it , but for performance gains we need to look at the cat.........
Ok ,on removal of the turbo downpipe/cat we can see (externally) the shape,size construction is very good. The diameter of the cat housing is also good. What we did next is cut it into 3 sections (dont do this at home folks they're over £500 each:eek:) to look at the internals & cats. There are 2 cats inside that not only look like a brick ,if you blow a high pressure air line down one end you cannot feel any air coming out the other end!!- I kid you not.
Ok weve found the restriction (and its a real big one, more than normal for a cat). What we've done next is remove one (the more restrictive one) of the 2 cats, then tig welded everything back together on a jig weve produced ,in such a way its IMPOSSIBLE to tell its been modified. Even on the bench ,side by side you could not tell the difference. Our alignment is perfect so it goes fits on exactly as per a stock downpipe/cat.
ON THE ROAD , the performance increase is big big big!, at all engine speeds ,but with the biggest gains biased towards higher revs. Bear in mind our car has only covered 450miles from new so we've only briefly used WOT upto 6000rpm. (2nd 3rd 4th gear). We will put it on a RR once its hit 1000 miles, but you dont need a RR printout to know you've gained serious power I would estimate 20bhp just from the push you get into the back of the seats.
Also the turbo is noticably cooler after a blast...not surprising when you remove a blockage like that...oh and expect more mpg too from removing the blockage.
SOUND.... about 10% louder would be my subjective quantification?
On its own you can 'just' hear the difference...but the main dealer? ....I doubt it very much.
So you gain a hefty power/performance increase and your dealer could never tell its modified ...:cool:
EMiSSIONS...... ok ,no fault codes, no emmision lights, and everyhting is connected 'as per stock'.
I will put it through an MOT emmisions tests next week to see how much headroom there is. My guess it plenty, as normally athe dash light would come up way before you get near MOT fail levels
ROAD LEGAL...... yes and by some margin too (pending mot test above)
Best Regards Roland GTT:smile:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Well done Roland. Good to see someone looks into adapting whats good rather than replacing just for the sake of it. Makes it cost effective for us the customer.

I believe the JCW 192 kit replaces the downpipe and cat back, so does this mean this mod wouldn't work / fit this setup. Or is this where JCW get the majority of its 17bhp too ?.

·
MINI 2 Sponsor GT Tuning
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Guys, I would think this is where JCW are gaining the power too. Whether there cat flows as freely as ours is doubtful as its still a BMW part though. They say they change the manifold , Im thinking they mean the cat/downpipe though. If not then its still good news as the GTT downpipe/cat could still be fitted.
We will offer it 3 ways:-
1) Your downpipe /cat GTT reworked and sent back same or next day.
2) Exchange, similar to above but with £500 surcharge,which is refunded on return of your old (undamaged) unit.
3) Fully fitted. We need your car about 4 -5 hours so it can be completed the same day no problem. I'll even go round and nip up a dozen or so slightly loose boost hose connections FOC for you too.:cool:
Price £199+vat,
Shipping (most of UK) £12+vat
+Fitting Charge (if required) £175+vat . With fitting we're very careful to ensure everything (clips, shields routing etc) goes back exactly as it was,to give that 'totally untouched look' which we know people will want. I'm thinking this will outperform the JCW kit and its a third of the price.(and no warranty worries either)

·
Now Aero Kitted!
330 Posts
Hi Roland,

So we're talking in the region of £450 supplied,fitted inc vat? if so sounds awesome! :D

Cheers

Den

·
The Stig's Dad
161 Posts
Hi Roland,

Daft question time:

Have you thought about having/recommending a distributor/trusted garage further north? - it's a long way from the north west/east/Scotland; and worst, the price of driving down there could put some off. (only saying this 'cos you seem to be a trusted and sought after MINI tuner;))

Failing any of the above happening - just how easy/difficult is the job? How comprehensive are the instructions (if any!)?

Any news on chipping/re-mapping the R56 S?

Thanks

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
Hi Roland, Great place to start :) removing all the restrictions will no doubt make everything so much cooler and a nicer note :D Now all we need is to look at the intake and getting another couple of PSI out of that turbo ;)

P.s. any chance of any tests to show the different in 4th gear 40-75mph or similar tests? :)

·
MINI 2 Sponsor GT Tuning
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hi Guys, yes with fitting & vat it comes out at £444 all in. Its not too bad to do yourself, but those 2 heatshields are a bit fiddly to get in out & in, needs to be on a ramp realy. The only persons work I trust fully is our own ,I know its a bit of a drive if your up north, but make a Mini holiday of it....take the girlfriend/wife etc.
On the subject of chipping/remap once available we will offer this too, although in view of the huge blockage and heat build up of the stock cat setup, I think the GTT stealth Sports Cat needs be fitted first anyway.
Airfilters...we have completed some pressure drop measuremaents on the stock filter and airbox already, I'll start another thread on this next week ,but in summary the stock setup measures pretty well. Your not going to gain much here as quite simply the stock setup isnt losing much in the first place. We will produce a GTT induction kit, at some point , it will be well engineered, look good, sound sportier (crikey did I say that:eek::D), and hopefully give a small power increase? but nothing like the GTT Cold Ram (+vented rear panel) gains of the R53, UNLESS we can pick up positive pressure at high speeds.
The 4th gear & 5th gear 50 to 75mph test is a good one, as Mini quote these times on their spec. (5.5 /7.0 secs) I'll time ours & see what we get (average both ways)
Best Roland GTT:smile:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi Guys, I would think this is where JCW are gaining the power too. Whether there cat flows as freely as ours is doubtful as its still a BMW part though. They say they change the manifold , Im thinking they mean the cat/downpipe though. If not then its still good news as the GTT downpipe/cat could still be fitted.
We will offer it 3 ways:-
1) Your downpipe /cat GTT reworked and sent back same or next day.
2) Exchange, similar to above but with £500 surcharge,which is refunded on return of your old (undamaged) unit.
3) Fully fitted. We need your car about 4 -5 hours so it can be completed the same day no problem. I'll even go round and nip up a dozen or so slightly loose boost hose connections FOC for you too.:cool:
Price £199+vat,
Shipping (most of UK) £12+vat
+Fitting Charge (if required) £175+vat . With fitting we're very careful to ensure everything (clips, shields routing etc) goes back exactly as it was,to give that 'totally untouched look' which we know people will want. I'm thinking this will outperform the JCW kit and its a third of the price.(and no warranty worries either)
Thanks Roland,

Reading things again I don't think the JCW kit is the downpipe / cat. I think it actually is the manifold. This is because salesman / dealer as quoted that parts in kit retail at £1090 inc. VAT. Now that includes cat back, airbox / filter, badges and other bits so doesn't leave enough for a £500 cat for sure. This is good news because it means JCW upgrade owners can still have the GTT cat:D.

On a side note I have been trying to get my dealer to discount the kit to that of Eastern / Menzies. Boy was i shocked when he phoned yesterday and said because i have ordered the R105 alloys ( which he has already discounted heavily ) he's looking at giving me the JCW upgrade for £1000 inc. VAT & fitting. Apparently there's a deal on in combination with the R105's.

He's going to confirm on Monday together with the parts / part no. breakdown of the kit:smile:

Std car. circa. 190bhp + JCW upgrade + GTT Cat = one pretty rapid hatch:D

Roland,

Do you see the manifold as a weak spot, heat wise as that's apparently the reason stated for JCW swapping it out !

C.

·
The Second Coming........
75 Posts
Roland, have you ever thought about designing an induction kit along the lines of the Gruppe M for the Civic Type R. This use a wide mouthed carbon air intake, that links to an intake scoop that fits up below the front windscreen, by replacing the scuttle panel with a cutout one. I had this systemon my CTR, and i can say, it made a hell of a difference. The main power gains were in the midrange, just under the VTEC point. Just thought this idea may be a good one to think about.

·
MINI 2 Sponsor GT Tuning
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hi guys, you may be right about the manifold,only thing is what normal people would call 'downpipe manifold' BMW call 'turbo manifold' ...we'll see. Do you know if you can buy the jcw kit as 'parts only kit' ,then fit yourself? Im keen to see the parts list/price breakdown your dealers offered aswell.
Dont worry about the airfilter, it just means we need to design a kit that can pick up positive pressure in the airbox at high speeds, taking air from the base of the windscreen (like our cold ram R53 kit etc) and maybe the bonnet scoop aswell? -more of this to follow on a new thread.
btw USA & Asian markets have a different downpipe/cat to Europe AND a different system too. AFAIK They have one cat in the downpipe ,and another underneath the car. We have 2 cats within the downpipe and none underneath the car....confusing ! Even more so if you dont know from looking your flexi from your resonator from your cat.

50-75mph 4th gear.
Ive just come into work and did a couple of 'average of both directions' times. Now the book time for the above is 5.5 seconds. My time ('not super accurate but certainly within +/- 0.25 seconds' ) was 4.3 seconds , thats just over 20% quicker than book. Even up a hill I can beat the book time easily.
I think the same test but in 3rd gear would show even more improvement over stock as the higher revs involved gives even more improvement over the strangled stock setup.

·
I'm Behind YOU !!
331 Posts
Hi Roland

Im down south the weekend of the 06-07-07 would you be able to fit one to my car then. my car has now done 7k miles and is a lot faster now than when i bought it. MCS R56, i'm also looking for an air filter for the car as well. I see alta have one in the states, do you have one yet, as i would like to change the exhaust note to a little deeper as well. If you can PM me and i will book in , if available. and then you can do tests on my car before and after the mod. to see what the true power gain is ? what do you think ?

lee

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi Roland,

Indeed you're probably right now that i've looked on Realoem. If so BMW must be getting realistic with prices. And I may have a spare cat to sell....................Roland:D

I very much doubt BMW will sell the kit for someone else to fit. If my dealer comes good and supplies me the parts info i'll post details on here for sure.

It looks like the JCW Round filter is the same as the R53 version. Roland, do you think you can design a completely stealth upgrade for this ?.

C.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Sounds very good... just have to find as good mechanic up north... no way I'm driving to Dorset and back !

425 miles each way if just way way to far...

1 - 20 of 82 Posts