MINI Cooper Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Thanks Roland,

Reading things again I don't think the JCW kit is the downpipe / cat. I think it actually is the manifold. This is because salesman / dealer as quoted that parts in kit retail at £1090 inc. VAT. Now that includes cat back, airbox / filter, badges and other bits so doesn't leave enough for a £500 cat for sure. This is good news because it means JCW upgrade owners can still have the GTT cat:D.

On a side note I have been trying to get my dealer to discount the kit to that of Eastern / Menzies. Boy was i shocked when he phoned yesterday and said because i have ordered the R105 alloys ( which he has already discounted heavily ) he's looking at giving me the JCW upgrade for £1000 inc. VAT & fitting. Apparently there's a deal on in combination with the R105's.

He's going to confirm on Monday together with the parts / part no. breakdown of the kit:smile:

Std car. circa. 190bhp + JCW upgrade + GTT Cat = one pretty rapid hatch:D

Roland,

Do you see the manifold as a weak spot, heat wise as that's apparently the reason stated for JCW swapping it out !

C.
Update:

Still no further news from the dealer regarding confirmation of parts.:(

However, the deal he mentioned regarding the wheel / upgrade package has turned out to be ( i've seen it in writing ) is a dealer demo offer only, limited to one per dealer. It includes the upgrade + R109 Alloys + limiter with a £680 saving on top of their usual profit margin. This is to makesure they have a demo car.

The list price is £1090 for parts and 48 AIV's ( 4 hours ) labour for fitting. Profit margin is 25% on kit parts.

Are all JCW parts 25% markup as i had thought it was 20% !.

Anyone confirm ?.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Japper, i am waiting for my R56 JCW kit here in OZ. As soon as you know for sure that the kit doesn't change out, or modify the cat in any way, could you post it? This way i will know to start sourcing a local GTT job here in Brisbane.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Japper, i am waiting for my R56 JCW kit here in OZ. As soon as you know for sure that the kit doesn't change out, or modify the cat in any way, could you post it? This way i will know to start sourcing a local GTT job here in Brisbane.

Thanks
I will post as soon as i find any concrete info.

·
Lost in Mini2
948 Posts
Just got the car back with the modified exhaust/cat , the car now feels as if it revs a lot faster , and the speed is quicker, but what i like the most is the new exhaust note. its a lot deeper than before , and sounds great, ive done 7k in my MCS and is well run in, im will put the video of the new exhaust note up on "You Tube"
Big thanks goes to "Mikey the Mini" ( sick as a dog) and Roland ,

YouTube - Mini R56 MCS with GTT cat exhaust

sounds great lee... :D your well on the way to being completely hooked on modding ur mini....;)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
BMW MINI Technikforum • Thema anzeigen - JCW Kit I

Well this is the first confirmation that the kit does not include a downpipe / cat, but just the engine to turbo manifold.

The exhaust is only the back section too.

So the GTT stealth cat will still fit.

Roland,

Obviously BMW think this manifold is on the limits heat wise before they would replace it. Do you agree ?.

·
MINI 2 Sponsor GT Tuning
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Hi, well Ive got no way of checking the material spec but I think its very unlikely to cause a problem with increased boost. There are 'chips' (ie boost increase via ecu) available for nearly every turbo car out there and its extremly rare to 'have to' upgrade the exhaust manifold. Yes exhaust manifolds can crack but that applies to some stock cars (Fiat Uno Mk 1....they fall in half!:aargh:) and with some applications its due to inadequate (or missing) support bars to take the weight of the turbo or insufficient movement due to no flexijoints on the downpipe.
My guess is its a 'worry the customer into having the JCW manifold' ,
It may be a different casting giving better flow ,if thats the case then fair enough. Though its more likely the same part with a bit more cobalt in the alloy.
Best Regards Roland GTT
We up boost from 9 psi to over 30psi on the R5's ...the manifolds hold up very well. JCW ? well youll be lucky if you get 2psi !

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

·
3 JWL
105 Posts
Lordy / Roland / Anyone

Do you have any updates on the Stealth Cat after running for a while? I'm really looking for advice on value & sequencing, now there is more information on the JCW kit. What do you recommend as the steps, e.g. Stealth Cat or JCW , given I don't have an unlimited budget to spend £2k on them both.

I'm not planning to race the car but I'd really like to be able to out-drag cleanly some of those smarty-a**sed Ford boys... I even had some Audi A4 estate car trying it out yesterday, up my bumper up to about 90 but had no clue about 'line' into a roundabout! Never saw the badge on the back but it must have been a big-engined one.

·
I'm Behind YOU !!
331 Posts
Lordy / Roland / Anyone

Do you have any updates on the Stealth Cat after running for a while? I'm really looking for advice on value & sequencing, now there is more information on the JCW kit. What do you recommend as the steps, e.g. Stealth Cat or JCW , given I don't have an unlimited budget to spend £2k on them both.

I'm not planning to race the car but I'd really like to be able to out-drag cleanly some of those smarty-a**sed Ford boys... I even had some Audi A4 estate car trying it out yesterday, up my bumper up to about 90 but had no clue about 'line' into a roundabout! Never saw the badge on the back but it must have been a big-engined one.
For the money i would say it was well worth it, but it depends on how long you are going to keep the car, to me , it will be sold before 3 years are up , so no warrenty problems. But they can not see it anyway.

Ive been running the cat for sometime now, and have the mpg readings, i used to get on average 30.1 mpg, now i get 28.7 mpg, ( but i must say , i have very heavy feet ) , and have done a few high speed runs as well, which drinks the fuel,

The fuel comp in the car , now seems to be telling the truth, and tells you what you are doing at the time rather than what it wants you to read/hear . but the figs at the end still add up .

So if you want more power, for a little cost , its a good one too get !!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. the fuel may be better than before if you tinkered around .( but that just aint me )

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Roland,

Did you get yours on the Rollers?. Be interested to see a before and after.

BTW: M7 are claiming 3.6hp and 11ft/lbs at the wheels for the Intercooler delete pipe.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Lordy,

Did you get the Tuning kit fitted?. Be intersted in the combo.

Roland,

Any rolling road figures yet !.

·
I'm Behind YOU !!
331 Posts
Hi Japper

just had it fitted yesterday, and not had chance to give it a good ragging yet, but i soon will , and take a video of it as well. but i think its the only one with the GTT pipe and the JCW kit.

paid 1295 for it , just on here now looking for new insurance , dam those people !!!

he he

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi Japper

just had it fitted yesterday, and not had chance to give it a good ragging yet, but i soon will , and take a video of it as well. but i think its the only one with the GTT pipe and the JCW kit.

paid 1295 for it , just on here now looking for new insurance , dam those people !!!

he he
It takes a few hundred miles for the Works kit to 'bed in' but i can't wait for your review:D

·
I'm Behind YOU !!
331 Posts
i had a friend drop the car off and collect it for me, but he did not get a chance to rag it either, as i had asked for all the parts that they had taked off the car, i think these will be going on e-bay to see how much money i can get back towards the insurance increase. or am i just tight ???

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
i had a friend drop the car off and collect it for me, but he did not get a chance to rag it either, as i had asked for all the parts that they had taked off the car, i think these will be going on e-bay to see how much money i can get back towards the insurance increase. or am i just tight ???
Only thing you might sell is the panel filter to a MCS owner, but only peanuts. The back box won't have a market as it's cut off yours and not a usual joint. The airbox won't fit a cooper and i can't see a demand as yet for the exhaust manifold.

The reason why i haven't picked my lot up from the dealer yet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Roland,
I am in Malaysia, so i am assuming the car i have is a Asia-spec car since i purchased it from BMW.

You mentioned 2 cats in my car, one in the downpipe and the other down the middle of the car. If i replace that middle cat with a straight thru pipe of the same diameter, will it provide me with any gains? and more importantly, any error lights?

Sorry for asking such a question, but purchasing and shipping your GTT SSC to malaysia will be too expensive thanks to our duties and taxes.

Hope to get a reply.

Regards,
Daniel

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Roland,
I am in Malaysia, so i am assuming the car i have is a Asia-spec car since i purchased it from BMW.

You mentioned 2 cats in my car, one in the downpipe and the other down the middle of the car. If i replace that middle cat with a straight thru pipe of the same diameter, will it provide me with any gains? and more importantly, any error lights?

Sorry for asking such a question, but purchasing and shipping your GTT SSC to malaysia will be too expensive thanks to our duties and taxes.

Hope to get a reply.

Regards,
Daniel
Daniel,

Check on NAM and on Alta's site. I'm sure Alta do a decat pipe for the 'second' cat on your countries / US spec.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts