MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to remove what appear to be decals (not stickers) on the sun visors with the airbag warning. I appreciate our government taking care of us but I find them very unsightly. If their removal is a federal offense I won't tell if you have an idea. :p

·
Registered
64 Posts
I doubt if you can get the airbag warning off of there without destroying the sun visor. It isn't against the law for an individual to remove warning stickers, but the law makes the automaker make removal almost impossible. It may be against the law for you to sell your car without the warning. That depends what state you live in. If you find a way to get them off please post it here, since a lot of others want to do the same. I have seen stickers on ebay that are made to cover up the airbag warning.

·
kltpzyxm
112 Posts
you think thats bad, thanks to the state of california my mini came with a lovely warning on the driver's side window informing me that my car contained chemicals known to the state of california to cause cancer... just like every flipping thing else in the state. I swear i've seen those warnings everywhere from parkinglots to playgrounds. When the air itself is cancerous, whats the point of trying to warn people of the obvious?

Anyway, i tried to peel the silly thing off only to find that it left some gross glue stuff all over my window :( It doesnt bother me much since my windows (and the top;)) are always down, but still.. i need to clean up this mess!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Success.....

Denatured alcohol is really easy. First I removed the visor (2 Phillips screws in the bracket) and set it on a flat surface. I tested the visor material on the back with a cotton ball saturated with the alcohol for color fastness...no problem. I then saturated a sponge cut to the size of the decal with denatured alcohol and laid it on top of the decal. I placed a small weight on top of the sponge. This forced some alcohol to run out of the sponge. I let this sit for about 15 minutes. Removed the weight and the sponge. Using only my finger the decal pealed-off in a single piece. Was not able to keep the decal as it managed to stick to itself as I removed it. A slight amount of adhesive remained on the visor but easily came off with a rag soaked in the alcohol. Their is a slight "ghost" where the decal was, but this is not visible when the visor was re-mounted in the car. How all I need to do is to figure out what I'm going to do with the remaining 99% of a quart of denatured alcohol!! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.