MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this a couple of days ago from my dealer......

I have spoken with Walon, the company that delivers all of our MINI’s, for some reason all our John Cooper Works MINI’s are not going to be delivered to us until the 21st of October!!
They will not give us any reason, the car is consigned which means it is 100% built and has been through the final quality control checks, I am just checking to see is we have any other MINI’s being delivered as I maybe able to request it is put on an earlier transporter.

...the more i think about it the more i think it is bull and either a problem with dealer or JCW production. This means that after a few days prep , I wont get car until 25th

Problem is i have a work related assigment abroad from 20th for 4weeks for sure and probably 6 weeks so wont be able to then take deliver until late Nov / December

What do you reckon has happened - opinions / advice much appreciated

Tempted to cancel order for above reasons

So much for having car by end of September

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
I'll have it and look after it for you Toby :D :p

I have Walons number at work if you want me to ring them and shout at them to get your car here asap :p

Seriously though, hope they do get it earlier for you :) I dont see why they would lie, they have no reason to :) If the system says the car is built then it is, its either the Factory that wont/cant release it or the depot at Thorn, and im sure that theres a perfectly valid reason for it, dealing with vehicle movements day in day out I know things go wrong all the time for all sorts of reasons :hmph:

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Don't know if its related but look on MotoringFile | MINI Cooper news, reviews and opinion.
All USA Works have been recalled
I thought that had all been dealt with over here and it was only cars that had left dealers, not cars in build?

I'd expect it to be something else mate. You seen that bit about the exhausts pipes on there?

But if I was the original poster I'd cancel the order, and then get a January registered car seeing as he can't have it now until December.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I had a similar thing happen when I was expecting my S back in Dec 06.

At first I was told all the Minis had been held at the factory and the dealer couldn't find out why, and didn't know when they would be released. Then I was told it also effected the BMWs the dealer was expecting in and they tried to blame the transportation company.

I got them to agree the delay wouldn't effect the value of my trade in and also secured a finance deal that was only supposed to run in 2006 but I was still dissapointed not to be taking delivery of my first new car when I was expecting it.

Christmas approached and it was only because of the internet that I found out all Minis had been held at the factory due to them needing a replacement fuel pump. I never did find out if the dealer actually knew this before me or not.

I went on to take delivery a month later than I should have done, though probably delayed by the Christmas period. I complained to Mini Customer Services and got a small good will gesture.

For them not to be able to give a reason for the delay is unacceptable in my opinion, someone must be able to tell them... I'd ask for compensation or free JCW goodies.

You would think the dealer should be more informed about everything than you are, but that's not been my experience so far!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If i were the dealer id be organising a separate trailer to get the car to me asap rather than risk a cancelled order Its only Oxford only 60 miles away

Thast why i suspect there is something wrong with the car / JCW production

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought that had all been dealt with over here and it was only cars that had left dealers, not cars in build?

I'd expect it to be something else mate. You seen that bit about the exhausts pipes on there?

But if I was the original poster I'd cancel the order, and then get a January registered car seeing as he can't have it now until December.

Rakey Do you think id get my deposit back at this stage if I cancelled order? It is a pretty hightly speccd JCW after all?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another story

After being told car is ready for shipping / delivery, ive now been told is awaiting a rear bumper

The stink worsens!

Well thats probably game over for me as I will be in Germany if and when the car is ever delivered to the dealer.

In this market im surprised Mini has taken its eye off the ball - quality is well down (see separate story on panel and dashboard gaps)

Abybody else expecting JCW suffering delays?

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Rakey Do you think id get my deposit back at this stage if I cancelled order? It is a pretty hightly speccd JCW after all?
You'd have to read the agreement that you signed for the delivery, but I'd be fighting for a refund of that deposit.

As for Oxford being only 60 miles away, the car won't be there now, it moves off site to its inspection before going to the dealer.

Could be that its had something happen to it during transit and needs to be repaired?

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
I would say its been possibly damaged when it got to/or on the way to the inspection site. I wouldnt imagine the factory would have let it go if it were damaged there. If thats the case, then I can fully understand why it would need to be repaired there before it leaves (our PDI and depot sites are the same).

Not sure how i'd feel if it were my car, but maybe now having worked where I do, I understand what goes on or what can happen etc. I wouldnt be happy, but I sure as hell wouldnt be asking for a deposit back on a car that I wanted, especially when its (not sounding) like the dealers fault, i'd be asking MINI themselves what they were going to do about compensating me.

If you get your deposit back (bearing in mind the dealer is now stuck with a high spec car to sell) your without the car completly, and you'd have to start the wait all over again if you re'ordered when you got back. OR you can keep it as is, and have the car waiting for when you get back or maybe come to some other arrangement.....I know which i'd do!

Good luck Toby :)

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would say its been possibly damaged when it got to/or on the way to the inspection site. :)
Thats what i feared although id be surprised if it takes 3 weeks to fix and get to my dealer Unless it was a helluva bang!

I am sure its not the dealers fault They say they have another JCW suffering same fate of being on hold Maybe these 2 hit each other!!!!:eek:

Im not that bothered about the new car now and TBH regret trading mine in now. The hassle does not compensate for the marginal benefit over my current car which is going like a dream, has great graffics and I have total confidence in it

I wonder if the dealer will deliver the new car to me in Germany!!!???

Its very awkward and not sure how the cherished transfer will happen when new car is in process of being registered with my current reg But I wont be able to take delivery for another 6 weeks if at all!

What compensation do you think is due I dont really want a new car in December- thats very different from having a car at end of September as was expected when i place the order as i took a cancelled build slot. Then again its not the dealers fault but they are a representative of mini and my contract is with them.

Would like to hear others views and also pls could people confirm if they have just taken delivery or juest about to, what their order date was and whether there was any material delay

Cheers

·
Registered
651 Posts
Without trying to put a downer on it, its not MINI or the dealers fault you can't take delivery because you aren't here in the UK at that time.

I know its not acceptable that its being delayed and nobody has any answers at this stage but I don't think banding the word compensation around is applicable. Even if it hadn't been delayed you would have only had the car for 2-3 weeks before you were away for 4-6 weeks! What difference does it really make?

·
Registered
65 Posts
My JCW was delayed back in July and though it was due 21st July and indeed consigned to the dealer before that date it was not released to Walon until 31 July and I took delivery 2 August.

I was worried that the car had not passed QC or had been damaged and via some contacts I have I was able to confirm that the hold up was due to the factory having limited facilities to fit the body kits. There was actually a 2 week back log at the time. That is why at launch there was a limited colour choice. Now with additional colours on offer presumably the back log has increased again.

All I can say is that the car is well worth the wait and is a step on and up from the stock S. Be patient you wont regret it.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Without trying to put a downer on it, its not MINI or the dealers fault you can't take delivery because you aren't here in the UK at that time.
I know i cant blame them for that bit but when i placed the order i was told it would be week 39 build In effect delivery will be a month late if it arrives when they say it will - Has moved twice before so not holding my breath!

Probably get them to hold it for Jan registration Although local dealers have a a 135i demo for sale which im tempted to go for instead as same price (before their promotions)

Just noticed one of rear lights has misted up. Whoever supplies the lights to BMW should be shot . Ive had a new healight and new foglight and now need a new taillight as its full of condensation. Car only 7 months old

·
Registered
847 Posts
Please don't take this the wrong way Tobes, but there was nothing wrong with your R56, I couldn't believe it when you said you were getting a Factory JCW, I thought you were mad!

You maybe able to get a few freebies out of your dealer because of the delay as BMW and all car car delaers are desperate to sell new cars at the moment. I've been offered an almost unrefuseable p/ex deal on our R56 against a Factory JCW, I would only have to cough up £2k to get the new car!

But why would I want to buy a slower car? :biggrin:

P.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been offered an almost unrefuseable p/ex deal on our R56 against a Factory JCW, I would only have to cough up £2k to get the new car!

P.
How much have you been offered on yours - useful reference point for mine!

Agree yours is faster than demo JCW

·
Registered
566 Posts
Please don't take this the wrong way Tobes, but there was nothing wrong with your R56, I couldn't believe it when you said you were getting a Factory JCW, I thought you were mad!

You maybe able to get a few freebies out of your dealer because of the delay as BMW and all car car delaers are desperate to sell new cars at the moment. I've been offered an almost unrefuseable p/ex deal on our R56 against a Factory JCW, I would only have to cough up £2k to get the new car!

P.
Hey! What have you done to your car to make it faster than the works?Hope you have good brakes if it is as that thing flies!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Delayed JCW

Hello All,

Firstly a little about myself, I'm new to the forum although I have been following it recently. I own an 04 MCS soon to be replaced with a new factory JCW :nice:

Laser Blue, Black roof, and I'm really looking forward to it!!!

I ordered it 1st week in October when the dealer told me 5/6 weeks for delivery, which I'm sure you'll agree goes sooo slowly anyway. I've been chasing them up for a production date for the past few weeks only to be told the system says "awaiting date". However I was told today the dealer had over ordered cars for their 'quota' which meant my car was back logged. But they had managed to slot my car in another dealers quota and my car should be built 1st week in november and be ready for collection sometime 2nd week Nov. That'll be 9 weeks I'll have been waiting!

Is the story about their 'quota' true or is it just a story to cover up the fact they cocked up?
Do you think they're pulling my chain?

Cheers

1 - 20 of 29 Posts