MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read many threads with different opinions on the break-in period. I've concluded that it's probably best to just conform to what the manual suggests, but my problem is the dealership is 12 hours (900+ miles) away from home!

I'm taking delivery this week (yes! finally! my MCS is DS/W with premium and sport packages) and just wondered if anyone had feedback or do and don'ts. I'm going to try and vary the speed as much as possible, but I'm going to be driving straight across Texas on I-10 to Arizona, and there will only be so much I can do. I really want to do everything I can to keep this car in tip-top shape...

·
1963 Mini -- 2004 MINI
51 Posts
What I Did

My MCS had about 75 miles on it when I had to make a 500 mile round trip. What I did to vary the speed of the engine was to change from 6th to 5th on a regular basis as well as say dropping from 70 mph to 50 mph (same difference really). Also take every other exit and then get back on to the interstate. That should allow sufficient engine speed variation.
I think what they don't want you to do is drive 1000 miles at a constant speed. Having said that all of the racing engines are "broken in" on the dyno but I guess they also vary the speed.
Hope this helps.
Alan

·
Registered
700 Posts
That's what I intend to do, my MINI will be ready for pickup tomorrow and I'm going to take the back roads home in order to stay off Interstate highway and the constant 70 MPH speed.

More fun that way, anyway!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I picked up my MINI on Friday. I had a 250 mile drive home from Minneapolis to Madison. I found four good ways to vary the engine speed on the drive:

1) get stuck in traffic coming out of the city. Stop-and-go traffic for the first 40 minutes encouraged me to shift a lot and vary engine speed. Of course, my new Cooper S was thinking it was in for a dull life.

2) I did what 770 KOF did and downshifted to 5th gear on occasion to let it rev up a little.

3) I exited the highway a couple times for pit stops and to get something to eat. Also, I skipped the drive-thru and let the MINI park for 20 minutes while I sat inside by the window and watched people admiring it.

4) I took the back roads for the last hour of the 5 hour drive. That was the most fun, but hard to keep it below 4000 rpm on the winding Wisconsin roads.

Enjoy the drive home! I brought along an MP3 CD with a couple hundred good songs, but when I was off the highway I just turned off the stereo and enjoyed the MINI.

KennyP

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys,
I am picking up my MCS in South Carolina and driving it back to California. The trip is going to be about 2450 miles. I am trying to think of the best way to break in the engine, and also get back home in the quickest time possible. I like the getting on and off the freeway idea, but I don't know if I can do that for the full break in time, I will go crazy! And I can't really take the back roads home either. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Back To Cali

:eb:

Let me know what you decide to do. I ordered mine in Tennessee and have a 1400 mile drive back to Sunny Southern California.

I was told you've got to keep it below 3500 rpms for the first 1500 miles. Are there other "engine break in" restrictions, as well?

·
Registered
126 Posts
slater_morgan said:
Hey guys,
I am picking up my MCS in South Carolina and driving it back to California. The trip is going to be about 2450 miles. I am trying to think of the best way to break in the engine, and also get back home in the quickest time possible. I like the getting on and off the freeway idea, but I don't know if I can do that for the full break in time, I will go crazy! And I can't really take the back roads home either. Any suggestions? Thanks.
bah, just make a roadtrip out of it (a very long one, but hey, what other chance do you have to see the country by driving across it?). check out Roadside America and see if there's anything neat you can see along the way. You know, take alot of pictures, go to those dive restaurants (that always seem to have the best food), have fun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Break-in Procedure From the Manual

Queenadi said:
:eb:

Let me know what you decide to do. I ordered mine in Tennessee and have a 1400 mile drive back to Sunny Southern California.

I was told you've got to keep it below 3500 rpms for the first 1500 miles. Are there other "engine break in" restrictions, as well?
Break-in procedure from the manual

BREAK-IN PROCEDURES

To ensure that your vehicle provides maximum economy throughout a long service life, we request that you comply with the following information:

Engine
Up to 1,250 miles / 2,000 km:
* Drive at various vehicle and engine speeds
* Do not exceed an engine speed of 4,500 rpm or a vehicle speed of 95 mph /
150 km/h.
* Absolutely avoid using the full-throttle or kickdown position for the accelerator.

Up to 1,250 miles / 2,000 km: Engine and road speeds can be gradually increased.

You should also comply with these break-in procedures if the engine has to be replaced
at a later point.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.