MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I have a 2002 Mini One. Everytime I switch on the demister, water starts spurting through the demister vents onto the windscreen and steam starts coming through the other vents. Any ideas what might be causing this? Am losing a small amount of water from the water tank but it is not effecting the running temperature of the car.

Any ideas would be appriciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It could be you have a small leak from the heater matrix inside the heater box which could be collecting in the bottom of the heater box and then being blown out by the fan. Do you have a funny musty smell inside the car? Maybe do a cooling system pressure test to confirm you have a leak.Do you also have air con on your car? Hope this is of help cause it`s all that springs to mind as to a probable cause.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes there is a very nasty musty smell coming from this so I think your right. Hopefully its not gonna cost too much to replace. No air con on this vehicle.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Yes there is a very nasty musty smell coming from this so I think your right. Hopefully its not gonna cost too much to replace. No air con on this vehicle.
Heater Matrix itself is around £60 approx, this is the work / labour involved :-
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=RA32&mospid=48013&btnr=64_1126&hg=64&fg=15

Battery & battery tray has to be removed on a One/Cooper (also probably ECU) or Air cleaner if a Cooper S, to gain access to the 2 matrix heater pipe hose clips on the bulkhead, (don't undo air con pipe unions nearby !) then the matrix can be removed from inside the plastic heater unit (inside car behind a black plastic matrix cover on RH side of passenger footwell) 3 Torx screws hold cover on, the top one at the back is quite difficult to get to. Under the cover remove the 2 short metal pipes and their clamps on the matrix, undo 2 screws and you can slide the matrix out, (catching any coolant). New seals are required for the metal matrix pipes on refitting. At least the dash does not have to come out like some cars so labour price should be more reasonable in a garage...........or if you are a reasonably confident DIY mechanic you could also get the Haynes / Bentley manual for the full details. Carefully bleed any air locks from the cooling system after fitting the matrix & keep checking the coolant level for a while after.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts