1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I want that one in blue..
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dension have launched a new Ipod Interface : ice>Link Plus

Very high level info on new functionality:

Sending of ID3 tags to headunit with track info. :D

You can select first 5 playlists on Ipod using Disc number on head unit.

Also has ice>Link Menu which provides ability to use both head unit and Ipod to select tracks/scan, repeat tracks etc.

See link for further info : http://www.dension.com/main.php?pageid=50&topid=42

·
I'm not an addict.
146 Posts
I wonder if it'll be able to display track info on the original Boost radio ?
It looks neat though!

--
paco

·
Registered
29 Posts
Looks spot on does that. Just looking at replacing original boost Head Unit with a new head unit that can link in my ipod.

Any idea on where you can get one. Has mikey at new mini stuff got them in yet, maybe?

·
Proud New Owner!
93 Posts
wow - this looks like the solution for me! i don't see why i would want to use the official MINI/iPod adaptor now... can anyone else think of a reason why the "official" adaptor would be superior to the iceLink plus???

·
I'm not an addict.
146 Posts
The Ice-Link can be used with a great selection of head units whereas the MINI cable is limited to MINI's head units.

The Ice-Link Plus also has better/more features for not much more than MINI's ...

--
paco

·
Sugardaddy
221 Posts
So, tell me one thing, either i get the aux cable for(how much?) or i get the icelink? do they both do the same things?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't think the ICE>Link plus will show ID3 info on the MINI's headunit. The ICE>Link plus sends ID3 info as CD-text, and since the MINI headunit doesn't support CD-text it won't display it.

Only available for headunits supporting CD-text I think.

I would really love to see Artist - Title on my Boost headunit though. But I think this will never happen because BMW thinks it unsafe or something :mad: .

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
OK - what sort of upgrade cost is this to the CD Boost - Dock connector I got on the group buy Mikey?

Can I just replace the icelink itself and keep the dock connector/connects2 box/ Sony Loom thingy.

Stew.

·
Happy Motorer!
60 Posts
So if the standard MINI head unit doesn't support CD text, is the Icelink Plus any better than the regular icelink if you just have a MINI head unit? I'm trying to decide whether to go with the MINI adapter or the icelink one, and now there's another option thrown into the mix! Not sure which is the best option... I would at least like the IPOD to be able to show songs or playlists, even though I will probably have is stashed in the glovebox most of the time. I have no intentions of switching head units at any time in the near future.

·
BEP Owner
189 Posts
I'm confused!! I just had my icelink fitted about 2 weeks ago - what will I be missing by having the "old" one rather than this new Plus version?? I have the standard MINI HU...

·
Registered
343 Posts
This thread at e46fanatics may be of use.

Basically, ice>Link Plus now has two operating modes. iPod user interface mode is just like the original ice>Link:iPod, i.e. you touch the iPod directly and FF/RW, etc., are passed from the head unit. In this operating mode, no data is transmitted from the iPod but the iPod UI remains intact.

In Dension User Interface mode, there's 2-way communication with the iPod (like the original BMW interface, Alpine KCA420i, etc) so CDs map onto playlists. (one of) the really smart thing(s) about ice>Link Plus is that instead of killing the iPod display (e.g. a static BMW or Alpine logo), ice>Link Plus uses the iPod as an auxiliary display device in Dension User Interface mode showing ID3 data. On some CD Text compatible head units (and that's not Wave or Boost) then ID3 data is also passed to the head unit. Although BMW head units (e.g. E46 Business RDS) will be text-enabled in a later firmware release (yes - you can update the firmware on ice>Link Plus with an update file from the iPod), Mini head units are not text capable unfortunately.

Using this concept of the iPod as an auxiliary display device enables the ice>Link Plus menu. This is accessed by pressing CD6. The menu lets you browse *all* iPod playlists as well as enable features like AlbumPlay. You can even use the menu to map AlbumPlay onto the head unit's random key. Other menu functions include repeat/scan/random (for head units that don't have these keys), mode change (into iPod user interface mode), firmware updates, etc.

ice>Link Plus is a modular design. This means that if you buy it for (e.g.) Wave and then replace your head unit with a Kenwood, you only need to buy a new ice>Link Plus to Kenwood cable. The head unit protocol is configured from the iPod!

We start shipping in 1-2 weeks and dealers are being updated with information and pricing this week.

Hope this sheds some light.

Cheers

Lee.

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
I like the idea of being able to select playlists:)

Mike, what kind of price to upgrade the old link to the new one if its possible and worth it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts