MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any problems out there with floods of water pouring in when it is raining.
Seems like I have to jump in the car as fast as possible to stop the rain pouring of the soft top where it meets the front of the car and running directly into the drivers / passengers seat footwell. Only happens when the door has to be opened to get in or out.
Should they not have thought s about this ?? :confused:

·
Shopping
740 Posts
sblyth said:
Seems like I have to jump in the car as fast as possible to stop the rain pouring of the soft top where it meets the front of the car and running directly into the drivers / passengers seat footwell. Only happens when the door has to be opened to get in or out.

We've had it chucking down with rain. Then we had about 3 inch of Snow on the roof followed by a quick thaw followed by it chucking with rain again and the most we got was one drip on the seat when we opened the doors.

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
sblyth said:

Sounds like an indevidual fault, rather than a design fault.

Did you forget to shut the roof? :rolleyes:

·
Half a dent
1,413 Posts
You mean some people don't get a wet seat when they open the door! Do we need a poll?
This is a common problem in convertibles (eg 206cc) has there been a fix?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Leak

My car had a major leak when it was raining, see one of the previous post, there was also a few other people that have leaks. Haven't had an issue since I brought it to the shop though, but who knows.

Howard

·
Registered
45 Posts
I also get a nice deluge in the car when it's raining - I think this is due tpo the fact that soft-tops don't have the little 'gutter' that sits around the roof line of tin-tops.

·
Registered
295 Posts
teddyx said:
I also get a nice deluge in the car when it's raining - I think this is due tpo the fact that soft-tops don't have the little 'gutter' that sits around the roof line of tin-tops.
My softtop has a gutter!
There is a rubber gutter along the edge of the roof above the doors on both sides. It stands about 3 or 4 mm high and it does a reasonable job of directing the water away from the door when it is open.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yup, agree - my softtop does have a small rubber gutter moulded (glued) in to the roof - which does a pretty good job - only time I've had water in the car is when driving in the rain with the roof down! Must admit, I was pretty impressed with the design of the roof and the thought that had gone into it, and the provision of 2 small water deflectors (gutters) reinforced my view. Without making the gutter more prominent (and spoiling the appearance of the hood), I think what hood designers did is pretty good and deals with an average downpour very well.

·
Half a dent
1,413 Posts
Ah!. Could the "rubber gutter" be a modification. My car does not have anything that could be described as a gutter-build dates anyone. My S is early July 04.

·
its fun pootling along!!
18 Posts
I have the same problem when you open the door the seat gets wet. My MOC is a July 04 build so they may have added it afterwards.

Its off to the dealers soon so I will get them to have a look

Becky

·
Registered
41 Posts
My car has a July Build date as well and whenever I open the door when raining I get water coming into the car. When its raining you can acutaly see where the water run off from the leading edge of the roof is actually directed down the window. It looks to me like it was deisgned this way. Do others have a different design? where does your run off go?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had this....

.....on the drivers side but not the passenger (got my car in July so assume early build date) then noticed that the cable on the drivers side was broken (the nipple on the cable had come off) and you could get your hand between the roof fabric and the frame....

.... I have now had my whole roof replaced (yesterday) so will update on the outcome.

Cheers

·
Registered
274 Posts
Mine does it on both sides.

If its raining and you open either door, water pours in from the join between the A-pillar and the roof. Drips directly down onto the seat within seconds!

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
Rubber Giutter?

thebigyin said:
My softtop has a gutter!
There is a rubber gutter along the edge of the roof above the doors on both sides. It stands about 3 or 4 mm high and it does a reasonable job of directing the water away from the door when it is open.
Any chance of a photo of the rubber gutter?

Mine's also a July delivery, so I'm keen to see what I should be looking out for!

Ian

·
Registered
411 Posts
In Car Shower Option

sblyth said:
Looked through the options and cant find the '' in car shower '' is it aftermarket ? :D :D :D
Try closing the windows :p

·
Registered
64 Posts
My (with rubber gutter thingy) car is an early build date Cooper - built in June '04, collected beginning of July. If I can find the download lead to my digital camera, I'll take a pic or two to show what it is I am talking about.

·
Half a dent
1,413 Posts
Had a good look at my car today..there is a v thin rubber gutter running to about 2 cm behind the windscreen pillar. On reflection, what this does, is to encourage all the rain that would cascade past the window from the roof, like a waterfall, to flow in one continuous stream on to the seat when the door is open. Nice design guys :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts