MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

My girlfriends mini (2008 mini one 1.4 petrol, 95 bhp version) has had a coolant leak for a few months now. Had it looked at by a mechanic and they didn’t think the head gasket was gone because they couldn’t see that any water was getting into the oil.

Only other real option (so I’m told) is that there is a leak from the system somewhere. We’ve been topping it up for a while now and over the weekend I topped it up, but so did my girlfriend. We’re not sure who’s done it but one of us left the cap off the expansion tank.... yes, I know, horrendous.

So she went to work in it on Monday, about 40 mins either way, and on the way home just around the corner from her house it cuts out. Open the bonnet and there is no cap on the expansion tank, also no coolant in there that you can see. There was nothing on the dash at all (lights), and of course no temperature gague (that I’m aware of?!).

My question is, is it totally buggered?

Pushed it back to her house and ordered a cap which will come in a couple of days. We’ve had it running and seems ok but not for any length of time due to there being no cap. Send help, please...

Cheers

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
they dont do well if cooked on all levels plus its already got a losing coolant problem, there is a known problem with thermostat housing they crack with age there is a recent updated one link below for it and wiring it needs to fit .i wont get in to the not a good move to keep driving a car that loses water for to long, i would feel your garage has not done the right thing if let you believe ot would end well on any level etc, as for headgasket and water in the oil is only way they can tell that to me is rubbish and not very professional, there is a number of things can be done,
1, headgasket sniff tester link below
ultra violet dye tester, even shine light on exhaust fumes will show up in dark,
pressure tester most good garages have one
thermo housing update, dont buy a non genuine one
any garage that cant do all the above is not worth using to be honest

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You’re a hero. Thanks very much for all this Mike . I’ll probably look to take it to another garage then to see if they can offer any better advice.

I’ll also have a look at testing it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
this all said i would feel what has just happened could of damaged it even more, when it got hot did it knock did engine oil light come on etc if so it will be damaged,, cars dont do well with lack of coolant and lack of oil etc.. and the stupid bmw mini and other makers having a stupid light rather than a temp gauge just compounds the damages, i see so many cars just destroyed because of it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No light came on, the car just shut off. They know exactly what they’re doing. Only tell you something is wrong when it’s done enough damage to cost a lot of money.

Not sure if it knocked because my girlfriend was driving it. Don’t think it did though from what I can tell. First thing I’ll do is try my best to bleed the system, fill it back up and get it running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ours leaked from the water pump.
Be careful there's two types a metal body and a plastic body type.
We had a leak and I replaced it with the metal type and problem no more.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Ours leaked from the water pump.
Be careful there's two types a metal body and a plastic body type.
We had a leak and I replaced it with the metal type and problem no more.
the later water pumps are black plastics around 2010 was when they changed to black water pumps, i still find the metal after market type they are so much better for life span,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts