MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I recently had Sextons car audio fit an Alpine CDE-9827R head unit in my MCS and even with the bog standard speakers totally transformed it! I couldn't believe the quality difference.

Anyways I've been playing MP3s a lot and in the process of playing an MP3 data CD the unit had had some sort of software issue - cranking the volume to max when replacing fascia unit. After turning the volume down audio sounded awful - like I had blown all the speakers and I wasn't able to configure it back to a decent sound quality.

After taking it in to Sextons they performed a factory reset and told me I was burning too many MP3s to a CD - which I am not convinced about - but although the audio is much improved I'm sure that the speakers don't sound right since (esp. at the low end) and that they have been damaged. Sextons say that there is nothing wrong with them...

Can anybody advise on if this is an issue - I am just being overly fussy - or is there anyway of testing them?

cheers...

·
www.totalmini*****
15,256 Posts
It's possible :(

The best way to test is to play music down one speaker at a time and see if they differ.

Set the fader to front, and balance to left, then listen and compare it to front right. Do the same for the rear fade.

The stock speakers are good, and should stand up to a good walloping, but not for prolonged amounts of time. Like any electrical component, if it's used hard it's lifespan diminishes.

·
XYZ
271 Posts
I've managed to blow the standard ones :rolleyes: :D

My Sony CDX-M9900 puts out 4 x 52W and I've blown the rear-right speaker and the front-left one too. So now I'm stuck with bass from the left of the car and treble from the right... D'OH :p

Anyway, least I know what I'll be spending my Christmas money on - cheers nan :D

Time for some nice Alpines I think if anyone has any opinions on speakers nows the time to say if my choices are good or not. For the front (am I going overkill here???) - Alpine SPX-177R (with a bit of help from Mikey's spacers) and for the rear - Alpine SPR-694A. Anyone had any experience with the fronts they're quite pricey and I was just wondering if I'd notice much of a difference between them and say Alpine SPR-176A.

Cheers All,

:bone: Pat :bone:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Gavster said:
Hi Folks,

I recently had Sextons car audio fit an Alpine CDE-9827R head unit in my MCS and even with the bog standard speakers totally transformed it! I couldn't believe the quality difference.

Anyways I've been playing MP3s a lot and in the process of playing an MP3 data CD the unit had had some sort of software issue - cranking the volume to max when replacing fascia unit. After turning the volume down audio sounded awful - like I had blown all the speakers and I wasn't able to configure it back to a decent sound quality.

After taking it in to Sextons they performed a factory reset and told me I was burning too many MP3s to a CD - which I am not convinced about - but although the audio is much improved I'm sure that the speakers don't sound right since (esp. at the low end) and that they have been damaged. Sextons say that there is nothing wrong with them...

Can anybody advise on if this is an issue - I am just being overly fussy - or is there anyway of testing them?

cheers...
As the stock speakers are rated at 15W rms at 5ohms there is a chance that the speakers have blown. Good chance to go out and get some real ones :p

Just a thought, if the unit was reset has the "Media Expander" been switched back on and with the same setting? Makes quite a dramatic change to the sound.

There are some basic tests already mentioned but if you really do suspect that you have damaged them it is very possible for this not to show up in physical tests with meters etc. As loads of people are replacing thier stock speakers take a look on eBay for replacements, that is if you want to keep it stock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the advice...I can't detect any one particular speaker thats gone - maybe it's a mental thing!

Anyways without tempting the obvious RTFM response, has anyone got any pointers on what I should be looking for in new speakers - front versus back, etc...don't want to spend silly money, but looking for a good sound...

thanks again y'all.

·
www.totalmini*****
15,256 Posts
Replace the fronts with a good set of components, the rears are only used for "fill" sound. Amp the fronts if you like, up to you, but if your HU is decent then you probably won't need to. THe MINI is only small inside so you don't need large power and loads of speakers to get good quality sound.

Another route you could take is to get some 6x9 subs for the rear speaker enclosure if you want more thump but like the boot space.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I agree with ButtonIt, but I cannot over emphasize the benefits in sound quality of using good externally amped speakers.

I have a high powered Alpine HU 60W per channel but needless to say it does not compare to my external amp rated at 62Wrms. The speakers just came alive.

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,173 Posts
I've had a pretty decent Sony head unit in my MINI for a few months now.

I had expected it to destroy the standard speakers pretty quickly and that was going to be my excuse to get some real ones.

I am sorry to say that my standard speakers are holding up well.

Please could someone tell me what I am doing wrong?
Should I take the head unit back to the shop and complain?
Is Radio 2 sufficient? :D

Tigger.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Tigger said:
Please could someone tell me what I am doing wrong?
Should I take the head unit back to the shop and complain?
Is Radio 2 sufficient? :D

Tigger.
I would have thought so, may be they have not been fed with the right show yet, try Wogan :D Even if the speakers handle what about your ears?

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,173 Posts
GaryM said:
I would have thought so, may be they have not been fed with the right show yet, try Wogan :D Even if the speakers handle what about your ears?
Wogans a bit too "out there on the edge, living dangerously" for my tastes.

Will turning the volume up with The Carpenters CD in place do the trick? :D

Tigger.

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,173 Posts
goonery said:
The standard headunits are Alpine manufactured, older cars speakers were from a UK manuf now gone bust, since mid 04 they are from Phillips, they should take 25w easily.
Alpine! That would explain why the original head unit was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. Thanks for that.

Tigger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.