MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have locking nuts, and I admit I wouldn't have a clue how to unlock them and have never spent to much time wondering how to use the key or which piece of stuff in my boot is actually the key. I've just been pretty confident in the knowledge that my wheels can't be nicked.

Anyway I was just cleaning her and noticed that one of my wheels looks like it's been tampered with, it's not something that could have happened when I was driving, so I was just wondering if anyone could confirm that this is how you'd get them off, an if my wheels are actually easy enough to get off?

This pic is the wheel, sorry about my flimsy arrows -

Here's a closer one -

And this is what the rest of them still look like in comparison -

I don't mean to be ultra paranoid, I just can't think of any other explanation.

·
The Hartge Experience
1,032 Posts
I think what you will find lou, excuse me if im wrong as i cannt see to good on that pic, them little "marks" in the corner of the locking wheel nut are loaction pin slots, which are unique to each locking nut, to stop people nicken em obviously. If you try to use a normal socket on that nut, i would guess it would just spin as the corners are rounded due to the slots (like a worn nut)

·
Wandering....
40,849 Posts
Those are the plastic caps over the locking nuts Rob............;)

Maybe your dealer did that when he was changing wheels originally Lou?

Anyway, I suggest with the R90s, invest in a set of McGard locking nuts, about € 60.00, you can order them from Coolnew, but even though they sound expensive, good value when you consider the cost of a set of wheels.........:)

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I don't think the dealer did it, I would have noticed it before now, plus there isn't even dust in the lines where the plastics all pulled so I'd say it's fairly recent. Are the standard locking nuts I got not good?

·
Wandering....
40,849 Posts
The standard nuts are easily overcome Louise, same design for every car, MINI and BMW, hence the unlocking tool is very common............;)

Get the McGards, every set is unique.........:)

If that was someone trying to steal your wheels, they weren't very good at their job...........;) :D

·
The Hartge Experience
1,032 Posts
tbh, my mate had expensive locking wheel nuts, and my dad (with difficulty) made a tool up (ex engineer) up our workshop, and we got em off. ppl normally drill em off, but its soo easy to slip as the outside is hardened, so you f**k the wheel anyway. just pay as much as you can!

·
Shiredweller's Wife
2,732 Posts
I don't know anything about the MINI locking lug bolts, but I have seen about a million "rounded off" bolts and that looks like one. Looks like someone ,not knowing that it was plactic, [dealer?] put a wrench on it and tried to take it off.
In place of locking bolts, I have the "anti-tamper" wheels that MINI offers. You know the white ones that automatically cover themselves with a film of brake dust so anyone touching them leaves a mark.

·
The Hartge Experience
1,032 Posts
shiredweller said:
In place of locking bolts, I have the "anti-tamper" wheels that MINI offers. You know the white ones that automatically cover themselves with a film of brake dust so anyone touching them leaves a mark.
lol ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
5 Participants
steebo777
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing