MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, I'm new to the forum but i have read a lot of good info here from lots of knowledgable people.
Now my question, I have noticed that some supercharger have light metalic coloured slippy feeling rotors while others have black non-slippy to the touch rotors, neither from a JCW prepped car, one an 03, and the other an 04 car. what are the differences and why etc? oh and how do you tell a 4th from a 5 generation supercharger?
many thanks

Josh

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
Josh_B said:
hello, I'm new to the forum but i have read a lot of good info here from lots of knowledgable people.
Now my question, I have noticed that some supercharger have light metalic coloured slippy feeling rotors while others have black non-slippy to the touch rotors, neither from a JCW prepped car, one an 03, and the other an 04 car. what are the differences and why etc? oh and how do you tell a 4th from a 5 generation supercharger?
many thanks

Josh
Excellent question!! And ive love to know the answer aswell!

·
MUGEN POWER
11,372 Posts
I'm sure I have read sum where that the 04 car has the JCW charger fitted as std now so that would explain it:)

as for the 4th an 5h gen question no idea:confused: dus it say onit??:p

·
Registered
511 Posts
The slippery surface you are touching on the rotors are teflon/ceramic coated rotors found in the 5th generation Eaton M45 supercharger, the same as the supercharger used in the JCW conversion albeit without the reduction pulley. All 05 model year cars (facelifted) have this new supercharger which supposedly allows better sealance between the rotor surfaces and the body of the supercharger, hence improving HP and torque figures a bit.

I find it amusing that JCG mentioned in their first every interview about the JCW kit that the reason they can get more torque lower down the rev range when compared with other tuners is because of the ceramic-coated rotors. Now that this feature is available on all 05 model year cars, this takes another arrow from the JCW's 'quiver,' which only really leaves the warranty and heritage as selling points...

Henry

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
supercoopers said:
The slippery surface you are touching on the rotors are teflon/ceramic coated rotors found in the 5th generation Eaton M45 supercharger, the same as the supercharger used in the JCW conversion albeit without the reduction pulley. All 05 model year cars (facelifted) have this new supercharger which supposedly allows better sealance between the rotor surfaces and the body of the supercharger, hence improving HP and torque figures a bit.

I find it amusing that JCG mentioned in their first every interview about the JCW kit that the reason they can get more torque lower down the rev range when compared with other tuners is because of the ceramic-coated rotors. Now that this feature is available on all 05 model year cars, this takes another arrow from the JCW's 'quiver,' which only really leaves the warranty and heritage as selling points...

Henry
That would certainly explain it!! I've been trying to source a 5th generation supercharger... but with no luck

Is that henry from cheltenham?? Cause it's Blue Astra Dave....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
supercoopers said:
hmm. the smooth coated charger is from an 03 car and the rough black coated charger is from an 04 car, and both apear to be the same 4th? generation charger as they were both taken off cars to be replaced with the JCW charger, so from what i can tell they changed the rotor coating from 03 to 04. so,,,, i would still like to know what the 2 coatings are, which one is best, and what does a 5th generation charger look like? :rolleyes:

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
Josh_B said:
hmm. the smooth coated charger is from an 03 car and the rough black coated charger is from an 04 car, and both apear to be the same 4th? generation charger as they were both taken off cars to be replaced with the JCW charger, so from what i can tell they changed the rotor coating from 03 to 04. so,,,, i would still like to know what the 2 coatings are, which one is best, and what does a 5th generation charger look like? :rolleyes:
was it a 170bhp 04?? cause that might be what the different rotors are doing?

·
Registered
511 Posts
BOYR4CER said:
That would certainly explain it!! I've been trying to source a 5th generation supercharger... but with no luck

Is that henry from cheltenham?? Cause it's Blue Astra Dave....
Hiya Dave,

Yeah it's Henry from Cheltenham ;) If you want to get your hands on the new gen. 5 Eaton supercharger then look no further than Minispeed in the sponsors link; they hold a stock of these for their conversions and will sell you one for a reasonable cost. Minispeed are the best new MINI retailer in the UK IMHO.
Cheers,

Henry

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
supercoopers said:
Hiya Dave,

Yeah it's Henry from Cheltenham ;) If you want to get your hands on the new gen. 5 Eaton supercharger then look no further than Minispeed in the sponsors link; they hold a stock of these for their conversions and will sell you one for a reasonable cost. Minispeed are the best new MINI retailer in the UK IMHO.
Cheers,

Henry
I get the funny feeling you've got a new job at that place? lol! I'll have to drop by Cheltenham again sometime... hopefully in a mini this time! The Astra's sold.

Ohhh, question... henry will probably know this as he's had it done. But when BBR do the Stage one they do a supercharger modification and so do mini speed on the stage 2. Do you know what this mod actually is?? its in addition to a new pulley I know that.

·
Registered
511 Posts
BOYR4CER said:
I get the funny feeling you've got a new job at that place? lol! I'll have to drop by Cheltenham again sometime... hopefully in a mini this time! The Astra's sold.

Ohhh, question... henry will probably know this as he's had it done. But when BBR do the Stage one they do a supercharger modification and so do mini speed on the stage 2. Do you know what this mod actually is?? its in addition to a new pulley I know that.
I don't know exactly what is done, but there are slight mods to the intercooler delivery, not the supercharger itself in the BBR conversion. I know someone here in Cheltenham who can fine-tune your mini no probs as he has done mine as well. I think that all these tuning companies add 'features' to their brochure to bulk up the info and impress people that may not know much about cars.

As for me working for minispeed, don't be cheeky, I work for BMW group UK now :eek: ;)

Henry

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
supercoopers said:
I don't know exactly what is done, but there are slight mods to the intercooler delivery, not the supercharger itself in the BBR conversion. I know someone here in Cheltenham who can fine-tune your mini no probs as he has done mine as well. I think that all these tuning companies add 'features' to their brochure to bulk up the info and impress people that may not know much about cars.

As for me working for minispeed, don't be cheeky, I work for BMW group UK now :eek: ;)

Henry
Any IT jobs going?? lol!

Oh right I see! Is that the mod that changes the air flow over the intercooler to cause more air pressure through the fins?

·
Registered
511 Posts
BOYR4CER said:
Any IT jobs going?? lol!

Oh right I see! Is that the mod that changes the air flow over the intercooler to cause more air pressure through the fins?

No IT jobs going i'm afraid...BMW is cutting back on the workforce as it is so there are no vacancies :(

Re. the mod to the intercooler, you are along the right track but there is one more thing they do to the fuelling as well that works with the aforementioned intercooler mod to improve high engine load driveability...you are getting warm :p

Henry

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
supercoopers said:
No IT jobs going i'm afraid...BMW is cutting back on the workforce as it is so there are no vacancies :(

Re. the mod to the intercooler, you are along the right track but there is one more thing they do to the fuelling as well that works with the aforementioned intercooler mod to improve high engine load driveability...you are getting warm :p

Henry
Well I know they put in larger injectors now...um... higher pressure fuel pump??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts