MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an 02 MCS (with 55k miles), when it starts it jumps up to almost 2000rpm before settling down to idle and sometimes it takes a few extra revs from the starter to get it going. It has even stalled two times just after starting. What could cause this? I am not sure if it only happens with cold or warm engine, it seems to happen either way.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I meant to mention that a filthy air cleaner could cause this too and the Mini schedule for air cleaner element replacement is inadequate. The clips on the airboxes are notorious for breaking, and many Minis are running with a leaking box, letting dirty air get into the throttle body anbd engine, thus the need to check it. A poor design by someone in the BMW/Mini air cleaner section.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips, I will check them out, your suggestions sound plausible, seeing as the engine runs perfeclty after started it has to be something like this. But about the idle valve, I thought the Mini used the drive-by-wire throttle to adjust idle, is there a separate idle valve?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Every EFI car I know needs an idle air valve to adjust engine idle with the throttle plate closed. When the throttle is closed, such as at idle, the idle air valve constantly opens and closes a bypass air passage around the throttle plate to keep the fuel mixture correct at idle and adjust for varying load conditions such as the AC compressor and alternator load changes.

·
Registered
286 Posts
You know, you may have a point, with an electronic throttle, the system can idle the car by moving the throttle plate, worth looking into.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't had time to check out any of the suggestions yet, but cold starts are definitely what causes most problems, it seems like it always stalls on first cold start

1 - 8 of 8 Posts