MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Mulberry Red Mini 40
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Digital Readout Info

Well i've found something but I haven't got a clue as to what it is.

If you turn the ignition on to the first position, and press to reset the mileage counter, the display shows a clock symbol with a number. If you go on to hold the reset button, it will eventually display a number and the word "test", continue to hold it and it displays further numbers. Release it and it then goes through a sequence of tests with displayed information.

After asking my dealer, they were unaware of this function. So, game on techie folks, just what is the first number and what are the sequence of tests identified?

Les

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
I can help with the first one, thats the amount of days until you need to change the brake fluid. But I don't have a clue what that test thing is, I found that as well, quite confusing... :confused:

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
I work for a company that makes sophisticated airport fire trucks, and they have electronically managed gearboxes and engines. On the digital readout on the dash, if you hold two of the switches down together (can't remember which ones) it flashes up diagnostic tests and shows number codes. If you look in the service manual, these codes tell you if anything is wrong in the gearbox or engine. Might be the same with the MINI's engine management?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Re: Digital Readout Info

m1les said:
Well i've found something but I haven't got a clue as to what it is.

If you turn the ignition on to the first position, and press to reset the mileage counter, the display shows a clock symbol with a number. If you go on to hold the reset button, it will eventually display a number and the word "test", continue to hold it and it displays further numbers. Release it and it then goes through a sequence of tests with displayed information.

After asking my dealer, they were unaware of this function. So, game on techie folks, just what is the first number and what are the sequence of tests identified?

Les
As has already been said, if you press the trip reset while the display is showing the miles left until next service, the days to the next brake fluid change is displayed (refer to handbook).

I tried holding the button as you say and after a while it did display test and then a strange sequence of numbers. Further presses of the trip reset button, cycled through a sequence of half a dozen different numbers. The format of the smaller numbers displayed to the left on the trip area of the odometer have a format that looks to me like direct references to sections of the workshop manual.

Ian

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Secrets

I like things like this - small intruiging facts that are newly discovered. I've not tried it for my self but I'd be interested to know what they all mean.

(Yes, I know what the first two are.... );)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just wondered if anyone had found out anything more about this? To help move the thread along, I have included details of the readout produced on my car:

_ _ 1. _ / _ t E S t _
_ _ 1. 0 / _ 0 3 6 * *
_ _ 1. 1 / _ 4 6 4 * *
2 _ 1. 2 / 6 9 1 8 * *
_ _ 1. 3 / 0 5 8 6 * *
_ _ 1. 4 / _ _ 4 3 * *
1 _ 1. 5 / 0 4 _ 1 * *
_ _ 1. 6 / _ _ _ 0 _ _
_ _ 1. 7 / 0 7 _ _ 0 *

Shown as displayed (including under bars), except for *'s where I have ommitted some numbers in case they relate to security info I wouldn't want published on the web (e.g key transponder code).

Car spec: Mini One, Salt, Auto Aircon, Heated mirrors and washer jets.

I checked the readout last night and again this morning (12 hours and 12 miles later). None of the items had changed at all.

As I said before, I think the left hand display format looks like references to a manual. Perhaps one of the items is the software version? It would be interesting to see the comparative readouts for a Cooper and others with different options or that have had "Car Memory" features changed.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Digital Readout Info - Update

I was having another play with this over lunchtime and discovered that there are actually a lot more items to view on the digital readout, some of which change in real time. Pressing and holding the trip reset for a few seconds immediately after turning the key to first position (while in miles to service display mode), causes the readout to display the following:

_ _ 1. _ / _ t E S t _

Waiting for another couple of seconds will then enter the cycle of values, identified by 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 etc.

If instead of waiting, you press the trip reset again, the display changes to:

_ _ 6. _ / _ t E S t _

and after a couple of seconds starts to cycle through values (with further presses of trip reset) with identifiers of 6.0, 6.1, 6.2 - some of which change in real time.

There seam to be several pages of data (1, 6, 10, 21), so maybe later today I'll try to take a note of all of the available data, including the ranges of values for some of the ones that change, both with and without the engine running (the readout information remains visible after starting the endgine, until the trip reset is pressed for a few seconds to exit).

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think I'm going to give up on this soon, as I can see that a lot of you are reading this, but not bothering to contribute.

Just to complete what I've found to date:

_ _ 6. 0 / number between 202228 and 210232 - Note 1
_ _ 6. 1 / number between ___437 and ___447 - Note 1
_ _ 6. 2 / _ _ _ 4 * * - Note 2

_ 1 0. 1 / Blank display - Note 3
9 1 0. 2 / 4 1 1 0 * *
_ 1 0. 3 / 0 2 8 6 * *
0 1 0. 5 / 0 3 _ 0 * *
_ 1 0. 6 / Blank display
_ 1 0. 7 / 0 7 _ _ * *

_ 2 1. 0 / Pressing trip reset again seems to reset the system. The screen flashes, a noise is heard and it managed to reset the trip mileage figure and reset the instrument brightness level to maximum.

Note 1 - The way the numbers changed suggested that this might not be a continuously varying single number and that perhaps single digit positions have a particular significance.

Note 2 - As in earlier post, * replaces a display number for my peace of mind until I know what these mean.

Note 3 - Blank display might indicate a missing option, so could be easy to identify significance if someone with different options sees a number here.

Starting the engine did not seem to affect the range of numbers displayed for items 6.0 and 6.1.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Don’t give up it’s an interesting thread I just don’t have anything to offer for input, it sounds like the is a lot of data stored it would be interesting to see if the data changes after a superchips upgrade (they say it’s untraceable – I don’t believe them!) The fact it says test would lead me to believe you are stating a self diagnostic routine in the cars ECU, if that is the case if it pauses or flashes in a different manner it may be indicating a fault???

·
Registered
99 Posts
DavidB said:
Don’t give up it’s an interesting thread I just don’t have anything to offer for input, it sounds like the is a lot of data stored it would be interesting to see if the data changes after a superchips upgrade (they say it’s untraceable – I don’t believe them!) The fact it says test would lead me to believe you are stating a self diagnostic routine in the cars ECU, if that is the case if it pauses or flashes in a different manner it may be indicating a fault???
I've been trying to think what sort of information is likely to be available via this diagnostic readout and come up with the following ideas:

1/ Software version
2/ "Car Memory" options
3/ Presence / state of various sensors
4/ Readings from various sensors (temp, pressure etc.)
5/ Faults detected (including transient ones - misfires, knocking)
6/ Detected optional equipment on comms bus and its state
7/ System reset - Think I've found this by accident.

Comments?

·
Mulberry Red Mini 40
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My guess is that those readings are held in memory for use with the engine diagnostics systems that garages now use.

The car retains information for fault diagnosis etc. So those readings will, I suspect, only be of use with the relevent paperwork.

It would also be interesting to find out what sensors are fitted to the car. That may make sense of some of the numbers.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Sounds like this was how MINI were able to tell me how much fuel (29.1 litres or something liike that) was in my tank when they attempted to sort out the non-linear fuel gauge.

kjs

·
M2 Bapmaster
3,138 Posts
I think 1.0 is the chassis number as my display says 6357 and that is my chassis number unless it is just a fluke. Could somebody else check this to see if it is a fuke?

When the display said test I kept pressing the button and then I think it was number 2 came up and everything on both displays lit up and it through a sequence of numbers.

If I carried on further to number 19 the mileage display just kept displaying on and off.

Can anybody else verify this?

:D :D :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
marksminimotor said:
I think 1.0 is the chassis number as my display says 6357 and that is my chassis number unless it is just a fluke. Could somebody else check this to see if it is a fuke?
Now why didn't I notice that? Yes, item 1.0 on mine is _03670 - the last five digits of my chassis number.

When the display said test I kept pressing the button and then I think it was number 2 came up and everything on both displays lit up and it through a sequence of numbers.
I found that if I got to the point where it displayed _21.0 _tESt_, then pressed the trip reset again after a few seconds, the screen flashed, some noise was heard and the system appeared to reset.

If I carried on further to number 19 the mileage display just kept displaying on and off.
Only items I saw displayed were prefixed with 1.x, 6.x, 10.x, or 21.0(reset?).

My understanding of the method for accessing the readout options is:

1/ Turn Key to position 1 (or 2)

2/ While display is showing miles to next service, press trip reset and hold (initially shows days to brake fluid change, but then changes to __1._ _tESt_

3/ Release trip reset, then keep pressing to cycle through available "pages" of information: __1._, __6._, _10._, _21._

4/ If at any point you stop pressing the trip reset for a few seconds, the display will settle to __1.0 _03670 for example.

5/ Further presses of the trip reset will now access additional items of information with the the selected "page" e.g. __1.0, __1.1 etc.

The readout does not return to displaying the mileage on starting the engine. Holding in the trip reset button for a few seconds will however exit the information readout and it may time out after a minute or two as well, but I haven't waited long enough to see if this is the case or not.

I listed all of the items accessible on my Mini One in an earlier post, if anyone else has any additional "pages" or "items", then I would be most interested to know - along with what options you have that might explain it (Computer etc.)

Ian

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
If it ain't broken...

I've only just noticed this thread, but after reading it I can't help thinking, surely these displays have been made difficult to find and interpret for a reason?

What happens if you've disabled something important?..and more importantly, how does your warranty stand on this?

·
M2 Bapmaster
3,138 Posts
iaa said:
Only items I saw displayed were prefixed with 1.x, 6.x, 10.x, or 21.0(reset?).

When the word test appeared I repressed the trip button until _19.0 or _19._ and this is what says on and off.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Re: If it ain't broken...

Dogger said:
I've only just noticed this thread, but after reading it I can't help thinking, surely these displays have been made difficult to find and interpret for a reason?

What happens if you've disabled something important?..and more importantly, how does your warranty stand on this?
OK, I can see your point of view, but think it very unlikely that it would be possible to change any settings via this route, the single button access really doesn't provide enough control for this - though I will admit that the system reset caused some temporary concern. Also, I don't agree that the displays have been made difficult to find, as it would be quite easy to stumble across this facility while checking the "days to brake fluid change" and misinterpreting the handbook instructions slightly - i.e. holding the button in instead of a single press.

This facility is most likely included to provide a convenient way for the dealer to check some of the stored data without having to hook up to the diagnostic computer. It could also be very useful for DIYers a few years down the line. I noticed for the first time recently that Halfords are now selling a range of simple diagnostic computer readout kits for different models of cars. These hook up to a special diagnostic socket on the engine management unit and produce "flash codes" to indiciate possible fault conditions, including transient ones detected during operation. This built-in readout mechanism could well save you the £15 or so that the Halfords kits cost, as well as being easier to use and providing more detailed information. Checking that the chassis number stored in the computer matches the one on the vehicle could also be a useful security check when buying a second hand mini in the future.

Ian

·
Registered
177 Posts
On an Audi A3 a combination of key clicks and pressing of the trip counter will reset the service indicator. I wonder if BMW might employ something similar???

·
Registered
99 Posts
potts said:
On an Audi A3 a combination of key clicks and pressing of the trip counter will reset the service indicator. I wonder if BMW might employ something similar???
Well I suppose it's possible, but which additonal keys/switches might work in conjunction with the trip reset on a Mini? What we need is some inside information! Must admit that I don't really want to risk accidentally resetting the service indicator while covered by TLC.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts