MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right looking for some straight honest advice here .....

I want 220bhp, already have the Alta and the Cat Back exhaust. Need more ;)

Got the following options ...

West Tuning - Ray is diamond, and for the mods I want for 220, 5mins from work and 1 day is all it takes ... £1400 fitted
AMD - Been before with a previous car. Nice setup and good products. 1 day but 80mile journey each way :( .... £1100 fitted
GTT - Spoken to Roland and he is a top bloke, very knowledgeable and they have been providing excellent R5's for years. 2 days for the car to be done .... £1150 fitted

I know of the others but they are all abit to far, BBR and GGR etc, if people rate these miles above the others then I would travel :)

The works kit is not an option as its day light robbery IMO :rolleyes:

Opinions and feedback most welcome :D

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
BBR, I've got one and it's great. Covered a lot of hard miles (short, sharp, up and down the gears, unhealthy for the car driving) and I'm VERY happy. Trouble is, I now want more power too!!

I didn't really like the GGR Conversion when I tested their demo car. Other's think it's great though.

Not driven AMD's conversion either, they seem to have a mixed reputation and response on here though.

GT Tuning, new boys in MINI, but you've seen the other thread and chatted to Roland so have probably got just as much an impression as everyone else.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mate u have PM too ;)

I have not researched the BBR guys too much, there seems to be not that many conversions ?? or am I not paying enoug attention ! :p I will take a look at them now, and see what they offer.

Thanks for the feedback :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just had a quick look and there is quite abit :)

Interested in the BBR MINI COOPER S PHASE 1 220 upgrade.

They are competitively priced at £1295 but they are a fair distance from me, slightly further up country than AMD. 1 day fitting time is a bonus, and if their map can take into account the Cat < aswell, then the 220 should be no real problem.

Will give them a call tomorrow...... yet more confusion :confused: - but its best to check everyone first ! :D

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Hi Guys,
Just to let you know £945 +vat (£1100 INC vat) is actually the GTT 230conversion (stage 3)
but without the new GTT 'Cold -Ram 'induction as requested (you have Alta I think)
Therefore you get;
GTT Under drive pulley (steel), Genuine Works Drive Belt,
GTT Competion Quality Idler Pulley Assembly, Ecu Remap (Inc traction improvements,raised rev limiter,fuelling,ignition),GTT large top mount 16 tube intercooler,GTT Intercooler Diffuser,Iridium Sparkplugs,&improvements to bypass valve operation.
We also carry out fault code readouts, boost pressure checks (before &after) and wide band fuelling checks.
Best Regards Roland Gt Tuning.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Didn't realise the BBR was +VAT :(

Kinda rules them out as I would have to pass AMD to get there, and AMD are cheaper

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Is cheaper better when it comes to tuning a car as valuable as a MINI Cooper S? Price is a factor, but I'd go for the best you can find inside a certain price bracket, not rule one out in particular UNLESS it's simply outside that budget.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Paul Mullett said:
Is cheaper better when it comes to tuning a car as valuable as a MINI Cooper S? Price is a factor, but I'd go for the best you can find inside a certain price bracket, not rule one out in particular UNLESS it's simply outside that budget.
Cheaper is usually not better, I agree, but you do get the odd good deal to be had :)

I have had work done on a previous vehicle by AMD, hence why I would go back to them. However feedback on their MCS work is mixed so this does make me question their product.

The feedback from BBR is good, they offer a good product, and the actual people that have it (the people that count !) seem to rate them very highly.

I would like to get the Big Brakes done in the near future aswell, so cost does come into it, I would be daft to say it didn't, but £1400-£1500 is the max I would spend on the phase I upgrade. I just personally dont think their product has had enough positives to make me 100% convinced.

·
Cornish Boy
164 Posts
LordNikon said:
Cheaper is usually not better, I agree, but you do get the odd good deal to be had :)

I have had work done on a previous vehicle by AMD, hence why I would go back to them. However feedback on their MCS work is mixed so this does make me question their product.

The feedback from BBR is good, they offer a good product, and the actual people that have it (the people that count !) seem to rate them very highly.

I would like to get the Big Brakes done in the near future aswell, so cost does come into it, I would be daft to say it didn't, but £1400-£1500 is the max I would spend on the phase I upgrade. I just personally dont think their product has had enough positives to make me 100% convinced.
If you look on NAM in the US they seem to be alot more hands-on that us in the UK as many of they fit there own pulleys. You always see 'pulley parties' where they have a production line of cars and install the smaller pulley - we don't seem to have them in the UK!!

At the moment the big push is for the MTH software and a self or party installed smaller pulley - this also seems to be the trend on the German sites. So far there have been no problems and the prices they are paying is about £700 (including the MTH) which is half of the BBR and close to others (WEST, AMD, MiniSport). I feel that the GTT offering is very close to the 'spirit' of the US stuff in that it uses MTH and gives you a new pulley.

Where I feel that GTT goes further is that they change the tensioner as the OEM one is a little fragile - reports on NAM are now showing failures. BBR have been right all along as they were the ONLY ones in the UK to change this (I always knew that they were right). GTT also go a few other things (detailed on here) and the whole package seems good, not just for the money - as a whole.

When you are looking at tuning a car you need to make a decision on how much you are willing to spend. To me £1500 would be my limit, not because money is an issue - it is just what I feel is a reasonable amount of money for what you get. I am in two minds between the BBR and the GTT/MTH - but BBR would have to be twice times as good to warrant the extra money you have to spend....

I feel that both upgrades will be very similar, but with GTT you will have more ££ left for other things.

cheers

paul

1 - 17 of 17 Posts