MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I've been looking at getting Dinan parts on my MCS for a while now (as anyone who has them can attest from my repeated badgering ;) ) Anyway, the closest Dinan authorized dealer to me that will install on Minis is Concord Motorsport in NH (I'm in Cambridge, MA). So I called to talk to their Dinan guy yesterday and was really annoyed by the conversation because he 1) bashed the JCW package and quoted really low HP numbers for it, which I corrected him on and 2) said that the JCW wouldn't get warranty work from Mini dealers like a Dinan package would, which if anything is the opposite what would happen.

So on the one hand, I feel like I shoud give him some leeway on the facts because I'm sure he doesn't spend much time dealing with the Mini market. But still, I'm having second thoughts about the parts just because of that bad interaction.

So that's the crappy story, now a question. He suggested that I should install the Signature package (as opposed to a-la-carting the performance parts) because it would increase resale value. Is their any validity to this claim? I wasn't able to find any Dinan Minis for sale on the web other than the one that they had sold at their shop, which didn't look like it went for a premium.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
Some MINI dealerships honor Dinan warranties because their BMW side is an authorized Dinan dealer. If there's no such dealership in your area and you have problems attributable to any Dinan parts, you'll probably have to take your car back to the authorized Dinan dealer to have the repairs done without cost to you.

A MINI with a Signature (numbered) Kit will probably be more valuable than one with piecemeal parts, but like the JCW Kit, no one really knows how much value this will add.

If you're going the Dinan route, I'd wait until they offer a Signature Kit with a supercharger reduction pulley.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MINIAC said:
If you're going the Dinan route, I'd wait until they offer a Signature Kit with a supercharger reduction pulley.
Yeah that's a good point. Wasn't the last word that their boost increase and intercooler would be out this year? Time's running out on that.

·
Ninja
1,750 Posts
I'd steer clear of Steve Dinan's products...

A Z8 got it's chassis butchered last summer, to fit some Exhaust Manifolds in and the S2 package which went onto the car says the Manifolds were designed to make sure something like this doesn't happen, clearly if the chassis has to be chopped away at to fit a so called well designed product then they have issues. This compromises on rigidity and occupant safety for accidents...anyways.

Dinan products perform extremely poorly on dynoes, you'd expect to give any product a 10% benefit of the doubt due to not being able to replicate 'true driving environments', but Dinan products were performing below that 10% power "gain". Don't forget they also test their products on dynoes....so the idea of true driving environments is a load of tosh.

Only appealing thing about Dinan products is the idea of a Warranty which isn't always granted, you'll be surprised how (not so) many dealerships grant Dinan Warranties.

FYI - Many Dinan products are re-branded third party products, similar to ACS.

Good luck, Doesn't seem ethical on business grounds to BS about other products to sell your own...

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Hi Pete, when I looked I found a Dinan dealer south of boston on the Automile. I don't remember which dealer but it was listed on Dinan's site I believe.

Do you already have JCW? If so I would recommend the 05 JCW upgrade of the Dinan intake.

Or are you looking to compare the entire Dinan kit with the JCW? I'm sure it will be similar to the other kits. Slightly more power at the high end but not at the low.

Head over to the NY/NE forum and introduce yourself, they will all have plenty of advice for you, some just don't read into the rest of these forums. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
WOW ! That was quite a post! Butchered chassis....I love it. I read the ongoing book concerning that car also. Based on the mild parts that Dinan offers for the MINI, I don't think we will be seeing any of that in the immediate future. In all seriousness, I am convinced that all tuners have done strange things at one point or another. Look at Hennessey motorsports (Once a premier Viper tuner, now operates under a different name)....Obviously there are hundreds of brands of aftermarket parts out there.....the key thing is finding something that works for you. I like that I don't have to get nervous when my car goes into the dealer because of aftermarket parts. But to each his own!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts