MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
All 4 wheels pointed down
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I just went through Dinan's website (more specifically) the price page and located a S3 Package for the 02-04 MCS. I remember from a previous thread that the S2 consisted of:

The Dinan Stage 2 Engine
The Stage 2 engine produces an additional 35 horsepower, bumping peak output to 198. The system includes all of the Stage 1 components, along with a healthy increase in boost pressure to 14psi. The extra boost pressure is accomplished with a replacement supercharger pulley and fully matched engine management software ensures that power and driveability are optimized.

The Stage 2 engine will offer virtually the same output as the Cooper Works package, but does not necessitate removing and reinstalling the cylinder head or exchanging the supercharger unit. The Stage 2 engine components are expected to retail for under $5550 and take about 10 hours to install. Once again, Dinan matches the new car warranty coverage for stunning performance along with the peace of mind provided by up to 4 years or 50,000 miles of warranty coverage.

My question, as you will see from the price file listed below, is that there is an S3 package for the 02-04 MCS, Part Number SR53-S3, "Under Development." Does anyone know what this is or what it consists of? They just came out with the S1, there is an S2 floating around out there but an S3? Should be interesting...

Jeff

Price Guide can be found here:
Page 129 of 144
http://dinancars.com/PriceFile.asp?ID=6

·
Registered
121 Posts
I see the kit being under $2,000. The only difference between the S1 and S2 is really a pulley and then a different version of the software that is provided in S1. So the only real product difference is a pulley which goes for anywhere between $120 - $170. The S1 is $1696, so my guess is that the S2 will be @$1900. That would be a real steal. And a very good competition against JCW and all the other kits on the market.

·
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I completely agree! I just spoke with the local dealership (Scottsdale, AZ) and the warranty manager said (for AZ now) that anything put on the vehicle will void the warranty, IF, it has a direct impact on a failure! Which means, they would try and stretch it out if they could to get out of the warranty. I told him that was a little harsh and not very flexible for a car that can handle the modification. So he mentioned Dinan. As I am sure everyone has heard, he said that, "Dinan is an approved modification company for BMW's warranty." With that said, anything with Dinan will be accepted under warranty, but as long as his techs install the goods! So if they come out with the pulley, I forsee the JCW sales going down even further. This could be good though, competition among retail vendors of aftermarket car parts only benefit the consumers! ;)
But does anyone know anything about the S3 Package? Cannot imagine what that has in it!

·
mr meanboy
36 Posts
I don't see the stage 2 listed on their website only stage 1 and only 49 state. I was hoping to piece together something sans the exhaust. A few hp less won't bother me.

·
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, only Stage 1 is currently being sold. Stage 2 is, from what I hear, is "being worked on", but who knows how long that will take. I had an idea about the Stage 2 but was taken back by the S3 line item on the price list. I just hope they make it to include the '05s. :(

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
I visited Dinan in Morgan Hill on July 22 and was told that the Stage 2 kit is still a couple of months away. At that time they still were looking for a MY 2004 MCS to do measurements for the exhaust hanger change. Similarly, they can't makes changes for MY 2005 until they get a "test mule" to work with ;)

·
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah really, why not produce something when you have customers willing to throw money at you? If resources are scarce, then focus on hot selling items (e.g. Intake (that fits an '05) along with a SC pulley). I am sure there is a reason, just that I will never figure it out! But this is okay, gives me some more "quality" time with my MINI, after I get it of course, to learn how to drive it and get comfortable with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
they aren't cutting anything are they? haven't seen any pics of their kits for the coopers yet...

but past history of their fiascos with z8, m5, m3, and now me supercharger makes me stay far far far away from dinan....

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have never owned anything Dinan, but I have a friend that has a quite nicely "Dinaned" 3 series. Nice, very nice indeed. I have waited very patiently for this stuff and will surely see some nice bits under the christmas tree this year.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Already JCW'd - any complementary Dinan bits?

I assumed part of the delay getting Dinan gear release was working out the Dinan/JCW/BMW branding and warranty issues. I'd considered waiting on Dinan as cheaper alternative to JCW but went JCW route in May.

So, now I was hoping that Dinan kit would be complementary to JCW, i.e. they'd agree to work together with some turf for Dinan and some for JCW. I know Dinan has larger throttle body and I think that they 've now got exhaust, intake and suspension stuff too.

Ultimately, I'd now like any guidance from you guru of tuning&tweaking .... now that I've gone with JCW kit, are there particular Dinan bits that I should consider and will MINI/Dealer go for warranty coverage if you've got Dinan bits on top of JCW (i.e. throttle body, strut brace, CAI)?.

Any thoughts?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
10 Participants
liminiac
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing