MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that an ex-boyfriend of my girlfriend's friend has taken my girlfriends keys to my 2003 MINI One.

The car has an immobiliser and I have one set of keys. The trouble is that this guy is a nasty piece of work and has convictions for car theft and drug dealing in the past. Thankfully I've never met him but I know that he doesn't like me or my girlfriend. In fact he really dislikes my girlfriend and she was told last month when she MOT'd her car that someone had been tampering with the car and it was dangerous. We don't know who did it - but she suspects him.

He lives 40 miles away and I've no proof that he has the keys. I don't use the car much but I would like to disable it to prevent theft . More for peace of mind than anything else.

I was thinking of swapping over the plug leads ie 1 and 2, and 3 and 4 when not in use but I remember reading somewhere on the forum that MINI's don't like their leads being removed too often.

I don't want to go to the expense of changing all the locks etc. I suppose that I could put a locking device on the steering wheel or gear-lever.

I was thinking though whether there is a fuse that I could remove which would prevent the car being started. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you take the car to a MINI dealer with all the keys you have they can dissable the missing ones, although the missing keys will still open the car they cannot start it, if you find the keys that you thought were stolen simply take them back to the dealer with the car and they will activate them again, hope this helps

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. That's really helpful about the fuse and MINI dealer.

Not sure about the Jeremy Kyle show just yet !!! But I'll see how things go.

·
JCW 210 apparently not!
516 Posts
it may be worth adding a second immobiliser on the car or a seperate alarm.

I would atleast use a full stearing lock over the wheel. My advice would be to save up and change the locks which you could buy seccond hand and then have them recoded to solve the problem. firstly though get the key removed from the cars ecu and disconnect the barrel in the door so a key wont work on the door

1 - 6 of 6 Posts