MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PLEASE HELP! Mini One 2002 Auto 1.6.

The coolant in my expansion tanks keeps disappearing gradually every two weeks (only when the car has been driven, the level will not decrease when parked.) There is no dampness around the expansion tank, obvious cracks or marks under where I park the car.
The car runs perfectly, never any signs of overheating and heating system operates superbly. However this is obviously a worry and wondered if anyone has any solutions or suggestions.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Check the simplest thing first like the cap and the coolant tank. It might not look crack or leaking when parked up but when running it might be leaking or escaping from cap/tank and is fairly cheap and easy to replace.

It's either burning off and/or leaking during driving.

Have you checked the oil and is it normal?

·
Premium Member
2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback,Automatic,Mello Yellow
1,017 Posts
I would use a bore a scope
and thread the camera under all the coolant and intake hoses over the transmission. coolant tends to collect there. It leaks from the thermostat housing area where the hard pipe meets it. I would also jack the car up and look for moisture under the bottom of the engine accessory side where the alternator and water pump reside.
If you losing coolant it is a problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check the simplest thing first like the cap and the coolant tank. It might not look crack or leaking when parked up but when running it might be leaking or escaping from cap/tank and is fairly cheap and easy to replace.

It's either burning off and/or leaking during driving.

Have you checked the oil and is it normal?
Hi, I removed the tank and checked for leaks or loose cap today and it was completely fine. The oil is perfectly fine. I am at a total loss?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Did you check water pump when mine was it dripping down on to the cv joint that’s why you can’t see it ,when running it evaporates therefore no drip thermostat housing leak ?

·
2010 Mayfair R56
10 Posts
On the cheap, buy a spare coolant resrvoir cap fro ebay, ~US$8. drill through (~3mm) the top and remove the spring and seal internals (keep the black cup with o-ring on it). Then from a tire shop, install a rubber valve stem (drill cap to the stems mounting notch diameter). Adhere the valve stem first onto the cap with sikaflex (flexible adhesive), then once cured, adhere the inside black cap/oring to the underside of the cap.

Screw the cap onto the coolant reservoir and with a bike pump (with gauge) pressurise to 20PSI MAX and inspect all coolant lines for leaks. You should see dripping at this point if you have an external leak.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts