MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been hunting around for what seems like an age for a decent mobile phone mount for my R53 without having to pay the £70 that Cravenspeed want for theirs , and after recently joining an R53 facebook group I spotted a guy who 3d prints one of his own design .

Gotta say I love it !
It slips over the hazard light switch and your phone sticks to the magnet on it via the plates provided that sit neatly inside your phone case .

I just thought I would share this with everyone , if anyone wants to know where I got it from send me a pm and I will be more than happy to pass you a link .

Dall

Attachments

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
That is neat, thanks. Is that the R53OC? If so, great group. How much is it?
I have one that came from M+S that is similar in my Volvo.
Needs a strong magnet for an R53?? The Volvo actually has suspension that absorbs bumps!!

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is neat, thanks. Is that the R53OC? If so, great group. How much is it?
I have one that came from M+S that is similar in my Volvo.
Needs a strong magnet for an R53?? The Volvo actually has suspension that absorbs bumps!!

I had something similar to whats in your pic already but had a helluva job finding a decent place to put it where the phone did not slip off on bumps .

This mount sits slightly prouder over the hazard light switch and so gives more room for your phone without it hitting the dash , also it can be used over either the hazard light switch or the "dimmer" switch for your dash lights and has a pretty powerful magnet .

I must admit that it is a little bit pricey at £20 however as the guy makes them himself along with other items on a 3d printer I dont mind paying it , especially as when on it looks "icognito" and does not shout " I have a mobile phone " to any potential thieves .

The group is not the R53OC its this one .....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/554766454683881/?ref=group_header

but he was also selling them on fleabay .

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Thanks Dalliance. Yet another MINI Gen 1 Group on FB. Thought I must be on them all ...... but no!!
Don't think £20 is too bad. I'll try and find him on the Flea.

Incidentally the R53OC Group is by far the best one I've found. Good folk, very focused on our cars only (obviously). I met about 20 of them a couple of weekends ago as they organised a pub meet quite near me. Excellent meet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dalliance - this is exactly what I'm after!
New to the forum (signed up to get in touch) but don't have facebook. Do you have a link to purchase?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dalliance - this is exactly what I'm after!
New to the forum (signed up to get in touch) but don't have facebook. Do you have a link to purchase?

Thanks,
John
Hi John ,
I am sorry to say that the guy has stopped selling them , HOWEVER after living with it for some time I got fed up of my phone dropping off the magnet when I hit a bump ( it didnt happen all the time but often enough to become annoying lol ) So i looked around for an alternative .

The good news is I found a great alternative which although for Gen 2 and 3 Minis that can be adapted to fit 1st Gen .It is a very similar concept to the Cravenspeed mount but a damn sight cheaper !!!

This is the one I now have ...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Union-Jack-Car-Phone-Mount-Folding-Holder-For-Mini-Cooper-R55-R56-F54-F55-B-/143141672298?var=&hash=item2153e8956a

Its very simple to adapt , as all you need to do is remove 1 of the screws on the back of the rev counter and then fit the mount using just the 1 hole instead of the 2 on the mount that it shows in the instructions .
What I also did is remove the "folding " part of the mount and swapped over the phone grip in its place as its a simple nut and thread on it .
One thing to be careful of is if you do buy one of these make sure that you order the one for the R55/R56/R60/R61 as they are different to the others .

I am extremely happy with this new mount and for the price can highly recommend it .

Hope this is helpful
Dall

·
Kmess
6 Posts
Hey all,

I was in the same boat a while ago, however I found this holder around 7 months ago and it has never failed me! It wont let me post URLs as im a new user, but its an Aukey magnetic holder for about 8 quid on amazon!

It does fit into one of the air vents, I chose the drivers side one near the radio, but the handiness that this little magnet has it's worth blocking a small amount of air

1 - 7 of 7 Posts