MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Ive just installed a DIY aux input in my 04 mini cooper, since I got the ideas and info from here, I thought its only fair to share some pics!:D

I was intending on buying one, but theres no way I was paying £40 for a wire that costs £2 in parts!
So, being an A Level electronics student, I decided to DIY it! ;)

AuxInputPic1.jpg AuxInputPic2.jpg AuxInputPic4.jpg AuxInputPic6.jpg AuxInputPic7.jpg

btw before you ask, I diddnt use the hacksaw!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My first cable was a direct 3.5mm jack to header. To do this I found a CD-ROM audio cable and took the plastic ends off the cable. I then superglued them together to make a 2x4 header connector. Make sure if you do this you align it right! ie the sides with the little clippy things are on the outside.

One problem I ran into, was I couldnt get to one of the screws on the side of one of the columns, All the photos I had seen had the pop out knee bolster, however mini had the little cubby hole, and i convinced my self it was screwed in! Eventually after looking up with a torch and realising there were little hinges, I got the courage to try tugging it and it came down like I had see on another thread! Woohoo!

After getting to the back of the radio, i gave my cable a test, diddnt work, not surprising really, but since others have used a capacitor based circuit to get the headunit to reconise the cable, I tried, out of curiousity gripping the jack connector with my thumb and finger, and huzzah, I could get to Aux!

I then put the following circuit into my wire:
Picture 2.png

I diddnt have a 300k resistor, so I used 3 100k's in series.

And what dyou know, it works!

I had a female 3.5mm jack lying arround, so I decided to mount that. Unfortunatly, I accidentally snapped the plastic tray bit under the console, so I decided to hold it in with 4 tie wraps. Sounds dodegy, but you cant see it and you cant really see the tie wraps either, so its fine!
(in one of the pics tho, you can see my crappy attempt to mend the crack by melting the other side together with my soldering iron! the revealed side looks fine now , phew!)

Anyway, hope you enjoy!
Anyone wanting an aux input on their mini should do this if they are confident enough to do this and are able to make the little circuit. Its much better than fm transmitters, I can tell the difference, especially with the HK. £40 for the proper cable is a joke!

James
AuxInputPic13.jpg AuxInputPic14.jpg AuxInputPic15.jpg AuxInputPic16.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for posting this-using yours and the Neeshil site (can't post links yet, Google neeshil and miniaux) was pretty straight forward. Only changes made was the use of a small PCB (mini circuit board) for putting the capacitors and resistors inline. A friend of mine did the soldering and he got too frustrated trying to do it without it.

I was also able to connect the cable without removing the stereo-just popped the panel down on the left side and squeezed my hand in. I had done this on my first Mini with the factory cable, it's a bit tougher without the full plug but if you feel where the pins are with your finger (look at the Neeshil site for a bigger pic of the pins) you can line the plug up with the side of the slot and push it right on. Took me 5 minutes.

Great solution and costs ~10€ in parts, cheaper if you have an old headphone plug/jack and cd audio cable sitting around.

-Tom

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
You boffin!
I have no intention of doing this as I have an aftermarket headunit, but I thought i'd post saying how I think its cool that you've taken the time to share this! This is what forums are all about!

·
Registered
237 Posts
thats some clever stuff!
cant say il be copying that as thats waaay over my head,
tho i did change my dash lights to blue haha, still quite proud of that one :p

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the really helpful post that got my cable working over the weekend.

For anybody else looking to build their own cable I ordered part 61.11.9.157.153 from BMW thinking it was the cable in this post. It turns out to be similar with the correct connector for the head unit end but the incorrect connector for the iPod end and no capacitors/resistors.

If you decide to use this cable instead all you need to do is:

1) Attach the head unit plug to the cable (both included in the pack from BMW) by inserting the yellow cable to slot 3, clear cable to slot 4 and black cable to slot 10.

2) Chop off the incorrect plug at the iPod end.

3) Wire up a 3.5mm socket as per jamesk's instructions.

Works great and only cost less than a tenner :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well, I've copied this circuit and mine still doesn't work! Tried it on both the small and large button radios!

Is it possible to damage capacitors with the soldering iron, ie shall I start again?
Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think soldering irons can damage capacitors that much, The only thing I can think of, is that provided the wire and circuit is fine, is that you have it in the wrong pins.

Its a while since I did this, and i've just realised I diddn't state the pins to put it into (my bad) but from what I have re found:

The pin out is here http://www.mini2.com/galleries/data/780/stereo_hu_pinout.jpg
It is the TV L+ TV R+ and TV L/R- connections on pins 3, 4 and 10 respectively.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AHHH I think I know where the problem is!
If you look at the pin out picture in my previous post, you can see there are 2 groups of pins on the bottom, B and C. In my photo, there is a connector into the group B, which goes into the CDC inputs - this is the CD changer pre-wiring done by mini (or at least I assume).
The inputs I used are on the group C (which it the free set of pins in the top left of my photo of the rear of the headunit) and this is where the TV inputs are.
I should have put the pinout on my original post, I did it a bit on a whim (I remember having some work to do!)

I'll post a diagram in the next post:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
6_114.jpg

The photo of the back of the headunit in the top post is upside down to this. Hope this makes sense!!

James

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice job jamesk, very helpful thread. Just want to fill in with some information to those of you who bought the $40 Aux Audio cable, and can't make it work.

Bought mine from MiniCarParts.net (Atlantic British Ltd.), but no joy getting up AUX on headunit. Sent 3 emails to them for advices, but no respond. So I had no other choice then to open it up and compare it with your project.

What I found was the resistor was at the input (minijack) side of the capacitor, not on the headunit side as yours. So I used my old soldering iron to swap the cables, and problem was solved.

Just wanted to bring it up, maybe some of you who are stuck with non working Aux Audio cable can have the same issue.

·
Sugar Daddy
2 Posts
Aux Cable no workie.

I followed jamesk's instructions (Thanks!) but using the existing NAV plug by moving the contacts to pins 3, 4, and 10 (I don't have NAV but the wires were there and I clipped them to use for the AUX). I added the 300K Ohm resistor between pins 3 & 4 plus the caps to the input. I cut the headphones off a cheap headset with 3.5mm jack and plug that straight to my mp3 player. Problem is the radio doesnt seem to recognize the connection. I figured it uses that 300K load to SEE the AUX port and allow the AUX mode to engage, but when I press MODE it only cycles between radio and CD. What am I doing wrong? :confused:

·
Sugar Daddy
2 Posts
Aux cable now workie

My bad, I'm fixed now. Apparantly there are alot of different radios. I read where someone used the other port (B on Jamesk diagram) for AUX so I tried it and voila. If I knew what I was doing, I would post all the different radios and the differences that affect this install. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glad you got it working turcotjs!
There probably is a bit of variance, theres two different head units that i've seen (Might have changed it for the face lift model of the MK1 possibly?) But it should be do-able on both. Mine is the later headunit, facelift model, for future reference.

·
Registered
39 Posts
do you have to use resitors? as ive seen other ones made with out them? also what are the little orange components called? ive had a memory blank as its been some time since i did some electrics

thanks

alex

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys, I use to install for Bestbuy for a few years. i just recently got my S and the first thing i had to do was integrate (who uses cd's?!?).

The CD changer inputs shouldnt work for a reason. If you look at the wiring at the CD changer plugs, one wire (white/red/yellow dots) is CAN BUS. connecting to the audio wires for the CD changer is easy but the system will never know to turn on the CD changer if CANBUS Doesnt see it.

Radio Shack has .22 microfarad caps and the 1k ohms are preety common as well. Suggest not using duct tape:). Great write up!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts