MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Obsessive Car Cleaner OCC
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people..

Currently with the credit crunch you have to go to new measures on the spending.

Im after a Alta CAI and with the lasckof funds i thought id have ago at making this myself.

I pulled Phiily C's Alta CAI of his car made a template and hears what we have...

Its currebtly just been sprayed matt black and ill take some more pics of them tomoro,

Its going to get an ITG filter on there and standard RAM Pipe for the minute.

Total cost £65.

More Pics will be added when id finished.

Ohh got the engile seal for the top from a scrappy. :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Great work, nice to see someone who is not frightened to get the tools out and save some cash. I made a cold air box for my last rally car, it was very similar alloy sheet bent into a box and rivited together. I used heat reflective hose which ran too it, where a cone filter was used, it was fitted directly behind the front grill and I sealed the joints with speed tape. When following a similar car on a rally at Longcross we were catching him on the straights which I am sure was down to the RAM AIR of the cold box. We were all using standard 1000cc cars and they had the advantage of about 5 stones less in the weight of the crew!

·
Registered
727 Posts
I went 1 cheaper!
Just bolt a universal K&N directly to the throttle body.
Cost about £40 all in.
Details on NAM (somewhere?).

·
You, Be Cool!
118 Posts
ScottyBoy,

What ITG filter did you buy for this?

My Alta has started to eat itself (rubber has split around the actual filter) and so I need something to replace it with - but don't want to get rid of the heatshield.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Joe

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
I went 1 cheaper!
Just bolt a universal K&N directly to the throttle body.
Cost about £40 all in.
Details on NAM (somewhere?).
Yeah but won't that suck in an aweful lot of warm air just sitting down there right nexxt to the block, charger, IC etc? You have to be wary of that a little bit on the S... not so much on the ONE and Cooper but for sure on the S

Reactions: ScottyBoy

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
We did some under bonnet temp tests recording the temps just before the throttle body.

It made very little differance with or without any heat shields, as soon as the car moves at around 15mph all the results were within 1 degree, at 30 mph they were all the same temps.

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Interesting .... I might have to fabricate a little something something in the future then dave ... al la my mates scooby and nissan skyline intakes :D

I may employ Scottyboy given his proven fabrication skills... as long as he promises to paint it red ;) :p

Reactions: ScottyBoy

·
Obsessive Car Cleaner OCC
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ScottyBoy,

What ITG filter did you buy for this?

My Alta has started to eat itself (rubber has split around the actual filter) and so I need something to replace it with - but don't want to get rid of the heatshield.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Joe
Joe i actually havent found on to be the right size. There was 2 ITG ones and one was to small and one was way to big so im still looking.

Looks sweet!

Any chance you could share the template / dimensions, please?
Not really as i didnt use any measurements my work was pretty much taking the alta box out and stencilling around it lol its worked a treat tho and saved me a fortune.

Interesting .... I might have to fabricate a little something something in the future then dave ... al la my mates scooby and nissan skyline intakes :D

I may employ Scottyboy given his proven fabrication skills... as long as he promises to paint it red ;) :p
Any colour you want mate :)

Fair play ,whats next a camshaft:)
Ohh a camsahft has been living insidemy cylinder head for the past 4 month.

Last RR result was 210 BHP with an M7 CAI.

New result with standard airbox and Newman Cam was 240 :) happy times

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Its a good job I did my tests on a MINI, all cars have different under bonnet airflow, the MINI is good for clearing out the hot air when moving on the road.

I did not measure BHP just the air intake temp before the throttle body.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts