MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Derv? Nein Danke.
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done a DIY spotlight fit on their R56 Mini?? I'm picking up my Cooper S tomorrow and want to fit a set to enhance its great looks!! :biggrin:

I'm looking at getting a set of OEM spots as I assume that these have the requisite plug on the loom to plug straight into a pre installed socket on the car?? I do not want to do a DIY bodge job with scotch connectors, inline fuses and relays etc.

Any advise on where to buy these from at a decent price and experience of fitting would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :nice: :smile:

·
JP :-)
1,901 Posts
I fitted the spots myself, you'll need to buy a replacement grill for the bonnett, the spot lights will come with the wiring loom and ask your supplying dealer to print off the instructions. It's a tricky enough job fitting the wiring loom, you need to remove bits of trim etc, but if you follow the instructions you can have them fitted in under 2 hours. I was lucky enough and got my spotlight on ebay for £70, however with a supplying dealer I would aim to get or at least 20% off ;)

·
Derv? Nein Danke.
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for the email, looks like a pretty straight forward job. Wouldn't fancy attempting it without!! :biggrin:

·
JP :-)
1,901 Posts
I had been searching for the PDF to foward it onto you coupe-se, glad "airbus got you sorted.

If you follow the instructions you'll have them done in no time and be £200 + better off ;)

·
Derv? Nein Danke.
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IIt's a tricky enough job fitting the wiring loom, you need to remove bits of trim etc, but if you follow the instructions you can have them fitted in under 2 hours.
I'm an electrician and so pretty practical and used to panel wiring, you weren't wrong when you said the loom wiring was tricky!!! :hmph::tongue: Theres not alot of room in the car or engine bay for someone with big arms and hands, and got a fair few scrapes and cuts for my troubles. :biggrin:

The loom is designed for a LH-drive car and the battery makes the loom slightly too short. I had to remove the entire battery cover trim and battery itself, to get the bulkhead grommet cover off which gave access to the bulkhead grommet.
I added quite a bit of pvc tape to the loom for additional protection as they don't exactly cover it too well. I ended up getting the soldering iron out and lenthening the relay switch lead that goes to the UNMARKED pin41, so I could dress it properly out of the way of the clips etc. I guessed at pin 41 based on the fact the the bottom left pin was marked 38, I assumed that the 3rd from the right on the top bank was 41.

All tested ok and I'm now waiting for the replacement grill with brackets to arrive at the dealers so i can finish the job. Not sure what the dealers would chargeexactly to fit them but expect I've saved myself a few ££££'s as you say. :smile: :nice:

·
Back In A Clubman 23yr On
194 Posts
Oh poop....that doesn't sound easy!!!

Thanks airbus for the pdf..........I read it and was fairly upbeat about a DIY fitment....right up until I read this update :rolleyes:

·
Derv? Nein Danke.
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh poop....that doesn't sound easy!!!

Thanks airbus for the pdf..........I read it and was fairly upbeat about a DIY fitment....right up until I read this update :rolleyes:
The PDF misses out ALOT of detail regarding what to remove before starting the job. The picture of the bulkhead grommet near the brake fluid reservoir must be for a LH-drive car.

I purposesly mentioned the bits about the battery and pin 41 issue so others that do the install are forearmed.

Once you realise what to strip off to get access and realise that the pin 41 lead won't reach all will be fine. I wasted alot of time re-routing the loom trying to get the pin41 lead to reach.

It really isn't too bad a job once you get started.

If you want some more detailed info covering bits that the PDF misses, ask away. :smile:

·
Back In A Clubman 23yr On
194 Posts
The PDF misses out ALOT of detail regarding what to remove before starting the job. The picture of the bulkhead grommet near the brake fluid reservoir must be for a LH-drive car.

I purposesly mentioned the bits about the battery and pin 41 issue so others that do the install are forearmed.

Once you realise what to strip off to get access and realise that the pin 41 lead won't reach all will be fine. I wasted alot of time re-routing the loom trying to get the pin41 lead to reach.

It really isn't too bad a job once you get started.

If you want some more detailed info covering bits that the PDF misses, ask away. :smile:
I am "prepping" my loom ready for fitting......can you give me some idea how much I need to lengthen the 41pin lead by please?? I know that I could just strip the car, trial fit, measure how short it is, run inside, solder, run back outside, continue to fit, put it back together.....and voila.....but I thought that I might just lengthen it first ;)

Why didn't MINI just make a loom that fitted the "worst case scenario" (i.e. RHD cars) and then the LHD cars would just have a little spare :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Derv? Nein Danke.
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am "prepping" my loom ready for fitting......can you give me some idea how much I need to lengthen the 41pin lead by please?? I know that I could just strip the car, trial fit, measure how short it is, run inside, solder, run back outside, continue to fit, put it back together.....and voila.....but I thought that I might just lengthen it first ;)

Why didn't MINI just make a loom that fitted the "worst case scenario" (i.e. RHD cars) and then the LHD cars would just have a little spare :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I lengthened the cable by around 300mm. Do bear in mind that I dressed the loom and fixed it neatly round the car, battery compartment and under the dash which made the pin 41 lead short. You could probably get away with lengthening it by 150mm but I'm not a fan of bow-string tight cables.

I've seen my friends STI wiring loom go up in smoke (literaly) due to poorly protected and installed cabling, hence why I added and wrapped additional pvc taping to the single insulated/unprotected wiring on the loom. A £1.50 roll of black pvc tape and half hour of my time is well worth my peace of mind.

Remove the battery cover and battery itself and you'll find running the loom a piece of cake. Where the cars main loom goes through the bulkhead in the battery compartment (under a removable circular cover) you'll find the main grommet has a small branch/nipple as part of its rubber moulding which is perfect for routing the spot-light loom through. I tried to install a draw tape through the main grommet along with the main car loom but was so tight I thought better of it.

The spotlights do look good when fitted!! :wink::biggrin:

·
Registered
3 Posts
First post, hi all. I could do with the instructions for the spots. I fitted them myself to the wifes old mini. Now in a new one BMW have supplied some brackets, but they are identical to the old ones, ie fitting behind the grill. I'm assuming these are the wrong brackets, however the grill does look like it has a slot either side to take the brackets.

Help would be great, I also couldn't find how to send a PM? I'm sure there's a button there somewhere but?

;););)

·
Confused By Certain Users
9,613 Posts
First post, hi all. I could do with the instructions for the spots. I fitted them myself to the wifes old mini. Now in a new one BMW have supplied some brackets, but they are identical to the old ones, ie fitting behind the grill. I'm assuming these are the wrong brackets, however the grill does look like it has a slot either side to take the brackets.

Help would be great, I also couldn't find how to send a PM? I'm sure there's a button there somewhere but?

;););)
The brackets do fit behind the grille, using the bumper screw holes and new screws that should have come with the brackets.

You have to buy a new grille from MINI which is adapted to allow the brackets to fit through the grille. Do you have the JCW Grille or standard Chrome grille??

And you can't send PM's yet, because you haven't participated enough in the forums yet. ;)

·
Derv? Nein Danke.
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DON'T BUY A NEW GRILL!!! :hmph:

The replacement grill will be identical to your old one apart from the fact that it'll look as if a 5 year old has attacked it with a Dremel and rough file. My Cooper S grill was a complete rip-off and I only bought it as the brackets for the spots come with the grill NOT the spotlight kit. :angry:

The guy in the Parts Dept even said it was a rip off that the brackets come with the grill and finish on the hole in the Cooper S replacement grill was rather suspect.

Must say that the spotlights do look nice and are rather effective at night. :biggrin:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the replies, can someone email me the fitting instructions pdf, just so I can work out if they sold me the correct brackets.

They're black with 2 mounting holes at the bottom, a flat bit that sticks through the grill, and a longer bit that goes up behind the grill with a single mounting hole. The kit came with some pop rivets to secure them into place. As said before they're almost identical to the brackets I fitted on the 1st generation mini.

email: [email protected]

Cheers :confused::confused::confused:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts