MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My very first ever reply to a post went pretty much ignored :eek: so I'm whacking this question into a new thread on the assumption that I picked the wrong one. Sorry if it's been addressed before..

For those of you who have the 17" wheels on your cars - have you noticed the drift/pull issue reported elsewhere? Or do they find the car tramlines more than usual?

The reason I ask is I would like 17's on my S but having had a Rover Mini on 13" wheels - the tracking/alignment/pulling hassles are a hell of a lot worse than on "standard" 12" wheels. I realise that it's a completely different car, but I'm now paranoid about big wheels on small cars and the "style over substance" issue that have risen with my old Mini.

:eek:

·
Registered
168 Posts
They don't drift or pull IMO, but they do tramline. The GTi I had before ran on 15" and didn't tramline half so much as the 17" wheels on the MINI.
Nevertheless, it's not much of a problem, and they look great, so my advice is get 'em!

JV :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
JV said:
They don't drift or pull IMO, but they do tramline. The GTi I had before ran on 15" and didn't tramline half so much as the 17" wheels on the MINI.
Nevertheless, it's not much of a problem, and they look great, so my advice is get 'em!

JV :)
I agree with JV. No problems with pull or drifting on my car.

Cheers

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Cooper_S said:
What does tramlining mean?
It means the car pulls (left or right) changing rapidly due to irregularities in the surface of the road. The name comes from the effect of driving on tram tracks (rail tracks) embedded down the length of a road surface. But the effect is often caused by slight depressions left by the wheels of heavy trucks on either side of a road lane.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info JV.
I'm not not sure if I want 17's if they do tramline - I've been wrestling with my steering on my old mini for long enough!

Is the tramlining bad enough to cause white-knuckles-on-the-steering wheel? I'm still prepared to be swayed in favour of 17's cos they look the biz.

Cheers

·
Registered
168 Posts
Nah, it's not THAT bad. Obviously some roads are worse than others, but on the motorway (by which I mainly mean the M11 which has a ropey old surface) it's fine.
There's one road near me with a ridge in the middle of the lane, and it's noticeable on there, but even so, you have to remember, with power steering the effects of tramlining are minimised anyway.
As I said before - the extra grip they offer, plus the SUPERB looks of the wheel, far out-weigh the negative aspects - go get 'em I say! :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts