• I have had or am waiting for a replacement roof

Votes: 5 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
141 - 152 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yet another owner with the dreaded wear marks and fraying!

After some much needed guidance here as only just got the car 1 week ago. I did comment when buying to be told no worries Wr Wright all our cars get checked 100% by the strict Mini directives.

Picked car up and it still has the white marks and 2 wear "holes" at the rear just above the base of the boot lid area. It has actually worn through the outer fabric.

Car went back today and was advised that the warranty has rejected the claim from the dealer! (Main dealer!) as canvas not covered.

Tried to stress about other peoples success etc and commented that it surely cant be acceptable for a modern day roof to have wear holes forming through the fabric. They also commented that its tough about the white marks this is all normal.

Shame as every other aspect of dealer support was 110% right down to 2 new tyres that they were not obliged to fit. Mind u they are cheaper than a new roof.

To I get a honey moon period with the car where I can take it back if not happy? If so I will as there are others out there and I do not want to have the worry about this on a car I have had for a week only!

Thanks for any pointers and advice.

Paul

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
Yet another owner with the dreaded wear marks and fraying!

After some much needed guidance here as only just got the car 1 week ago. I did comment when buying to be told no worries Wr Wright all our cars get checked 100% by the strict Mini directives.

Picked car up and it still has the white marks and 2 wear "holes" at the rear just above the base of the boot lid area. It has actually worn through the outer fabric.

Car went back today and was advised that the warranty has rejected the claim from the dealer! (Main dealer!) as canvas not covered.

Tried to stress about other peoples success etc and commented that it surely cant be acceptable for a modern day roof to have wear holes forming through the fabric. They also commented that its tough about the white marks this is all normal.

Shame as every other aspect of dealer support was 110% right down to 2 new tyres that they were not obliged to fit. Mind u they are cheaper than a new roof.

To I get a honey moon period with the car where I can take it back if not happy? If so I will as there are others out there and I do not want to have the worry about this on a car I have had for a week only!

Thanks for any pointers and advice.

Paul
How old is the car, Paul? I assume you got it from a main MINI dealer - so it's a Cherished MINI, right?

Are they saying that the marks were there when you collected the car, so you should have noticed and made your decision accordingly? You could try approaching MINI direct (bypass the dealer).

Ask for the inspection report in writing, and maybe also threaten with a Small Court claim (not sure what the limit is on this these days).

Can you post some pictures?

Good luck, mate

Ian

·
Registered
24 Posts
How old is the car, Paul? I assume you got it from a main MINI dealer - so it's a Cherished MINI, right?

Are they saying that the marks were there when you collected the car, so you should have noticed and made your decision accordingly? You could try approaching MINI direct (bypass the dealer).

Ask for the inspection report in writing, and maybe also threaten with a Small Court claim (not sure what the limit is on this these days).

Can you post some pictures?

Good luck, mate

Ian

Ian,

Yes it is a MINI Cherised car. The dealer are being very helpful with respect to trying to get the warranty to sort it out. They basically do not want to pay the bill themselves as it is very pricey, of course i replied to this explaining that this is why i am so brassed off!

Out of interest they have advised me that the roof mechanism has been subject to a recall already?

Have attached the pictures. Been promised an answer by Monday so will know what is going on then!

Attachments

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
Ian,

Yes it is a MINI Cherised car. The dealer are being very helpful with respect to trying to get the warranty to sort it out. They basically do not want to pay the bill themselves as it is very pricey, of course i replied to this explaining that this is why i am so brassed off!

Out of interest they have advised me that the roof mechanism has been subject to a recall already?

Have attached the pictures. Been promised an answer by Monday so will know what is going on then!
I'm sorry - but I cannot see how they could have sold the car in that state, never mind as a cherished MINI! The wear you have shown is clear damage to the fabric, and that cannot be acceptable. If I were you, I would advise them in writing that you consider this car not to be fit, and that this damage cannot in any way be considered as acceptable wear and tear.

Something as fundamental as a roof (whether fabric or metal) must surely be fit for the design life of the car, and is NOT intended to be a component that is designed to wear and be regulalrly replaced (like brake pads or windscreen wipers). I don't know if you can legally reject the car (they may be able to claim that you as the buyer of a used car should have seen such visible damage before signing on the dotted line (caveat emptor).

If you are planning on rejecting the car, then you should probably stop using it, so the mileage does not build up. As you are dealing with a main dealer, suggest they provide you with a replacmeent car at no cost while this is all being resolved - the longer you use the car the more you may weaken your case....

Sorry, gotta go!

Ian

·
Registered
24 Posts
Finally got the answer I was waiting for yesterday! Going in beginning of October to have a new roof!

To be fair to the dealer they have done all the work with mini etc and are paying half themselves. This is what I would expect from a main dealer but they have worked hard to get it and kept me updated all the way through! Loving the car, hating the rubbish weather!

Cant wait to get the new roof, i am assuming that as it will be a new part it will come with a warranty?

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
Finally got the answer I was waiting for yesterday! Going in beginning of October to have a new roof!

To be fair to the dealer they have done all the work with mini etc and are paying half themselves. This is what I would expect from a main dealer but they have worked hard to get it and kept me updated all the way through! Loving the car, hating the rubbish weather!

Cant wait to get the new roof, i am assuming that as it will be a new part it will come with a warranty?
Excellent news! I don't think you would get any more warranty than undr MINI Cherished - this would put you in a better position than when you bought the car. But no harm in asking......

Ian

·
totalMINI punto com
222 Posts
Paul_BRG,
that's great news. Very happy for you. I'm also interested to hear if the new top is covered by some kind of warranty.

·
Registered
23 Posts
hi
I´ve read the entire post but still have a question. I could not find an answer, though I searched for hours now in different sections of this forum (maybe wrong keywords in my search?).

So,

I learned from internet fora that MINI changed their roof production at certain point of time and more-recent roofs do not have the same issue as the first release.

My convertible is licensed in Aug'07, however i recently found out that the manufacturing date is Dec'2005. Does this mean i have the first version of the roof top, or would i have the updated version.

Furtunately i have the 2-year Mini guarantee on the car, but I´d rather not have the problem at all.

Thanks in advance for your response
Marcel

·
Registered
1 Posts
Small wear

I've got a small wear on the back side of the roof but it is almost invisible and don't even think about it. I would not get myself new roof as material seems to be very tight around that area so I presume it will happen again.

141 - 152 of 152 Posts