MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 210 JCW MCS and am contemplating putting a 15% pulley on. Do I need to uprate the spark plugs as part of this mod? I would have thought that the JCW plugs would have been ok - what are peoples thoughts?

Also, I have read somewhere that the JCW reduced pulley belt is short enough to handle a 15% pulley - is this true? Or should a new belt be fitted at the same time?

Thanks for your help.

:)

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
new belt as its only 15-20 pounds a pop a new jcw spec belt will fit a 15% as we use them with our m7 16%'s
So your saying that a JCW belt should fit and seeing as how they are relatively cheap I may as well get a new one...

·
Registered
460 Posts
not should will :) i can vouch that they fit a smaller pulley as we fitted one to a 16% last week as m7 have used the jcw belt for yonks (means that the dealer can change your belt if needed instead of having to get another after market

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
The JCW sparks are essencially the same as the colder range NGK ones, just they have 4 pins not 1 like the standard irridium range 7 plugs they do. They will be fine on a 15% car, but I'd get irridiums after a while as the irridium is better wearing IMO.

The belt will also be fine, but my advise is to change it as its quite easy to strethch them and for the cost of £18 why worry about using an old belt... ensure good fit etc by buiying a new 15% pulley belt.

Reactions: Keano

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.

The plugs were: ik 22 or 24 denso. what are the jcw ones?

Is it realy worth going from a JCW pulley to a 15% pulley?

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Agreed ... The NGK item is far sturdier IMO. I have seen both pre and post use in a tuned S and I know I would rather have the NGKs (MINI don't use them for the OEM stuff for no reason!)

Oh and the JCW plugs are not the BKR7EIX-11 ... these are the irridium version that NGK do (and most folks use). The JCW ones are different and about 3 times the cost. These BKR7EIX-11 are just as good though and are probably (I'm sticking my neck out here) the most recomended by the tuners and those who use them.

·
Registered
460 Posts
ah yes true the OEM Spec works are about £120 which is lunacy the BKR7EIX-11 are what we sell with our pulleys

all prices are as sparkplugs.co.uk

for those that have money the JCW spec part no is BKR7EQUP £ 14 per plug (from bmw is £30 per plug)

the version the tuners use is BKR7EIX-11 £ 7 per plug diff between this and stock is it runs a cooler and is iridium tipped

the stock cooper s is BKR6EQUP £ 6 per plug

·
Registered
41 Posts
Plugs..

one step colder is the recommended heat range when you add boost!! Dont let this happen, cause you didnt change the plugs!! cool??

I use the 1 prong ( eletrode) plug as it adds a degree of tuning the spark gap, just a thought.

Just me..............................

Thumper

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts