MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Now Cooper D Clubman
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please read the roof wear problem threads BEFORE you order a convertible. I traded in my faultless 4 month old Cooper for a Cooper convertible and hoped the problems would not arise. Exactly 3 weeks later back into dealers with the usual fading and canvas thinning snags but also noticed passenger side edge just above window is starting to fray!!!!! I was told Mini now recognise problem and modification will be released soon so they will not replace any canvas roofs until it is resolved. I am totally gutted and considering rejecting car and going back to hard top maybe Cooper S. Please give advice and / or help especially other owners with the wear problem. The only thing keeping me a Mini owner is that I had no problems with my Cooper hard top.

·
Looking good in MOC
141 Posts
As far as i'm aware Mini changed the roof manuafacture after the first cars went out. My roof (black if makes any difference) is not showing any wear yet and only a very slight fading in one point.

I have seen another roof on minicabriouk's car and this was a lot worse than mine (he ahs the blue roof if that makes any difference), reckon i've probably had the top down just as much as most people in the UK.

Maybe a poll is in order for what colour roof and what wear / fading signs you have

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Indeed mine is pretty bad now....and allthough it looks terrible, I am confident that MINI will have it sorted soon.... and its worth trying for some compensation (spots will do nicely)

This is not worth rejecting the car over.... you have the best premium small convertible on the market, and it will be fixed. Just put that hood down, and put a smile on your face!

Jon

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree.
I am really disappointed with my convertible and have had so much go wrong with it that I have lost faith in it and am planning to part exchange it for another hardtop cooper.
I am not confident that my BMW will sort out the roof wear problems. It will certainly be a hassle getting anything resolved based on the nightmare I have just had with my dealer.
Like you I traded in a perfectly good car. Grrrr.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Mickey690 said:
As far as i'm aware Mini changed the roof manuafacture after the first cars went out. My roof (black if makes any difference) is not showing any wear yet and only a very slight fading in one point.
I'm the same - black roof with no wear marks and only one tiny area of slight fading. I've had the top down almost every day since I took delivery (mid-October) and am happy with how things are panning out.

Sorry to hear others are having problems though. Hope you get them resolved with minimal hassle.

~steve

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've only got a small area of slight fading on my black roof (but wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't read about problems others have had on here). I've also never had any leak problems (even in the heaviest thunder storms I have EVER experienced and with the roof getting the full force of a petrol station forecourt roof pouring all the water on top of my car - in fact I couldn't get into the car during the downpour because it was hitting the drivers door/roof area like I'd parked it under a waterfall) - still bone dry inside.

Having just spent three days driving a MCS while my alarm was being fixed, I wouldn't swap my MCC for it. Even though the MCS performance is fantastic, I'd miss the open air experience. Now if I could get a MCSC for the price that would be different... although I'm not sure how long I would keep my licence... :eek:

·
Now Cooper D Clubman
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
still bit ****ed off

My car is not leaking but has enough wear and fraying problem to seriously pee me off! Spent £18500 on car except to have good car with no major fixes in mean time, after 3 weeks do not expect to have new roof after so short a time am I just being fussy or what? :mad:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hmm... Just under a week with the car and no problems. ;) I know that it's way too soon to tell what the long-term quality will be but I plan on living with the car no matter what kinds of issues come up. Perhaps as a professional software engineer, I am just used to "bugs" in systems.

Automobiles are very complex products and are bound to have some issues. I trust I will be able to live with whatever happens to the roof (barring a major leak or structural failure) until BMW has a fix. Knowing that I have 3 years, 51 weeks before I have to worry, I'll just keep on motoring topless.

·
Penn's Cab
94 Posts
6 months old

;) :red: Our Cabrio was delivered on July 4th, although we have had a couple of snags (new passenger seat cover, Rear no. plate, Boot lid re aligned) we have had nothing but praise for the dealer who sold us the car. Following the reports on this site about roof wear I did register my concern with the dealer and BMW but was told when a solution was found the roof would be replaced if required. 6 months on, the roof has been up and down loads of times and touch wood no leaks or signs of wear.

I have to say, looking around at other rag tops BMW have made a pretty good job on the Mini.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bit late in adding this reply but we no longer have our MOC having rejected it and having fought to receive a full refund. We got the car in the first week of July (so one of the first of the production line) and it went back to the dealership just before Christmas.

The Mini Convertible is a fab car but we had so many problems which our dealer took ages to fix or refused to fix that we lost confidence in our car and perhaps more importantly our southern hampshire dealer.

Problems included trim lifting, unlockable glove box, oil on seats, boot malaligned, rattles, heavily crunching reverse gear and dodgy roof wear....leading to new hood being put on but so that it was all rippled and not flat that it was suggested we "wait and see what a variety of weather conditions do to resolve the problem :confused: or have a third hood :bad: "

If you feel the same as we did, give them (your dealer) a reasonable time to fix all remaining problems and if not done to your satisfaction, reject the car and demand a replacement or a refund...you should be put in the position you should have been had your contract not been breached i.e. a new car problem free, or be treated as if the contract had never been made i.e. given a full refund. Threaten them with the law (Sale of Goods Act etc) and the courts and you might have your problems resolved.

As for everyone else with fantastic cars...or few problems...lucky you and hope you all enjoy the car as much as we did when it worked properly and wasn't at the dealers! :)

·
A Total Mini Convert
923 Posts
NTT said:
Bit late in adding this reply but we no longer have our MOC having rejected it and having fought to receive a full refund. We got the car in the first week of July (so one of the first of the production line) and it went back to the dealership just before Christmas.

The Mini Convertible is a fab car but we had so many problems which our dealer took ages to fix or refused to fix that we lost confidence in our car and perhaps more importantly our southern hampshire dealer.

Problems included trim lifting, unlockable glove box, oil on seats, boot malaligned, rattles, heavily crunching reverse gear and dodgy roof wear....leading to new hood being put on but so that it was all rippled and not flat that it was suggested we "wait and see what a variety of weather conditions do to resolve the problem :confused: or have a third hood :bad: "

If you feel the same as we did, give them (your dealer) a reasonable time to fix all remaining problems and if not done to your satisfaction, reject the car and demand a replacement or a refund...you should be put in the position you should have been had your contract not been breached i.e. a new car problem free, or be treated as if the contract had never been made i.e. given a full refund. Threaten them with the law (Sale of Goods Act etc) and the courts and you might have your problems resolved.

As for everyone else with fantastic cars...or few problems...lucky you and hope you all enjoy the car as much as we did when it worked properly and wasn't at the dealers! :)
Are you going to get another MINI?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sadly no...we've just decided that if we get another mini it is bound to have some minor problems (as they all do so it seems) and we are going to end up being highly paranoid and very stressed out about it all. :(

At the end of the daythe mini is a fab car, beautiful, head turning, generally well built but we've saved ourselves in excess of £5,000 and gone for a faster city car (no one cringe now ...a chav and chavettes Citroen C2 VTS) from a dealer who we know are reliable courteous and don't treat us like a BMW owner's poorer cousin or some monkey who can be blagged off with rubbish.

Enjoy your minis....we will remain envious that our ownership was marred for us by a dodgy car and dealership :p

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.