MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
My father picked up a cooper S just the other day. I'd like to get him some pulleys as a gift. Do mini's require modified programming to handle the extra boost? I am a 1.8T enthusiast and know for VW, added boost requires programming to provide the appropriate amount of fuel and timing. I appreciate your help!

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
You can change the pulley without REQUIRING an engine reprogram - but you will get the best gains if you do the reprogram too.

Randy Webb offers a well rated "Unichip" ... for much less money read about about "MTH" ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are there adverse effects though to running extra boost without a tuning program? Will the A/F run too lean? Or is this really never a problem? I know that programming will yield higher gains, just interested in one part at a time. I have read some posts and it seems that everyone says that pulleys are the best power vs. $$$ mod to get started with.

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
Good link GB.
I ran my 15% for about 4 months before getting an ECU update. No problems.
[email protected] has posted data here a number of times showing that the MINI still runs quite rich with the pulley. ( It appears a nmber of his plots are no longer linked)
Check out post number 36 on this thread.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks man, that is the info i was looking for. Its good to know that the engine is still running with plenty of fuel even with added boost. I know that the motor will compensate some for the extra boost, however with a 1.8t one can add so much boost that you can reach unsafe levels.

Thanks for your help fellas!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I were to get my dad a 15% reduction pulley, JCW or elsewhere, what programming would you suggest? Is some programming safer or more agressive than others? Is one more popular than another?

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
You really need to search the web forums and dig out other peoples opinions ... in particular check out the Performance forum on MINI2 and the similar Performance Mods forum on NAM.

Personally I have JCW - but at almost $6K it is a steep gift!

The MTH software is very cheap; most people rate it good value for (little) money (<$100?).
There is an AMD Shark Injector which is very easy to install and remove ($400?).
The respected Randy Webb uses a Unichip which plugs in to the engine computer and alters the signals, rather than reprogramming - can be removed ($800?).

Probably many others too; these are the ones I have heard of. As I said above, search ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts