MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do we really think that the MINI's that show up on our shores are going to be free of the many problems that we read about on here? I am really considering putting my money down but I will be less than impressed if I have all the problems that I read about.
You would think with the development time put into this car they would not have these issues. It is also hard to imagine that the prestigious "BMW" would put there name behind a car with such difficulty. It seems sometimes that they are using Lucas electronics on the new MINI's. Not knocking UK by anymeans.

Are any U.S. customers rethinking their Purchase of the MINI after reading these forums?

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
soloKev said:
....Are any U.S. customers rethinking their Purchase of the MINI after reading these forums?
Sure, we all have. Some of us have questioned the sanity of a MINI purchase for, perhaps a whole minute or two, and then irrational car lust takes over and clouds our brains. We start rationalizing everything and, in an instant, we remember all the truly positive things MINI drivers have posted on this forum about the car and any internal opposition is squashed.

At least, that’s what happens to me. :D

Don't forget nearly everyone who has officially rejected a MINI due to flaws (and the fact it is so easy reject a car in the UK), has gone right back and gotten a new MINI - not another model car!

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
I've said since before the introduction in Europe....The Brits will be the guinea pigs, and we colonists will get fully sorted out cars. I am 99% certain that the "niggles" will not come across the "pond" with the MINI. BMW is probably the smartest, most advanced auto mfg. in today's market. They knew the car was going to have build problems (not design problems) ude to the new workforce. They also knew that the British would buy more MINIs than any other populace in the world...so, they'd buy many MINIs, discover all the "niggles" any serve as BMWs test=bed for production / quality control. The car will be niggle free when it hits our shores. Spoiled Americans would settle for nothing less.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kshapiro said:
The car will be niggle free when it hits our shores. Spoiled Americans would settle for nothing less. [/B]
Well lets hope you're right. Although I am not as confident as you about BMW. Have you read any of the stories about the latest M3? Apparently a lot of diff and transmission problems.

·
Registered
150 Posts
soloKev said:
I am really considering putting my money down but I will be less than impressed if I have all the problems that I read about.
Solokev, if you have not put a deposit down, are you on a list for the car at a dealer?
If not you will have another year for MINI to get the niggles out of the car... cause that is at least how long you will have to wait before yours gets delivered.;)

·
Registered
179 Posts
It makes soo much sense to have the british be the ones who find all the problems. I am sure its much easier to have a car just sent back to the factory there to fix the problems then having to ship it back from the states to fix build errors. I am sure that if it was built in Germany, the germans would be the test market for the car. I am sure everything will be fine before they start reaching overseas markets.

Also with you not having a deposit anywhere I am sure you will have to wait until later in the year anyways so then the problems will be sorted!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just thinking about the MINI's impending debut in the US...I wonder if BMW will use their Spartanburg X5/Z3 manufacturing facility to do the PDI stuff prior to shipping the MINIs up and down the East Coast. I know that all of the BMWs shipped in from Germany stop at Spartanburg prior to delivery to the dealers. Wondering too if MINI will get their own enclosed transporters, similar to BMW, or just be trucked in with their BMW cousins.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Kshapiro - what makes you so sure there are no design problems with the Mini? Even "manufacturing" problems are often best fixed by a design change which for example prevents incorrect assembly. As far as I am aware, the fuel tank recall involved a change in design rather than an error in manufacture. A new design of exhaust has also been introduced to improve refinement. The problem with seat adjusters is plainly poor design. The drift and central locking problems could be a design fault/weakness.

·
Registered
577 Posts
The first cars due here are being built now, or have been built already, because of the time it takes to ship them over and truck or rail them to the dealers. There are still problems with the recent builds. A change in the door lock design is supposedly in the works. They are still working on the programming for the ECU. The "new" suspension that may or may not correct for the left drift is due out in March, so it will probably be at least two or three months after that before it would show up here. Spare parts will be in short supply. I am high up on an interest list, but if I am called, I shall decline. I intend to wait at least a year to see how things shake out. I've waited over four years already so another year is not going to matter. I would rather wait a bit longer than be saddled with problems. Besides, if the MINI takes off, you can bet there will be a small, fast, reliable, good handling VW/Honda/Toyota/Nissan, etc. in the showrooms before long.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My only concern is with the pending engine for the Cooper S. It is brand new and has not been proven (and the tought of it being co-developed with Chrysler makes me wonder as well). Hopefully, they have done their homework and will bring us a reliable engine that really hums.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Dave Dunbar said:
My only concern is with the pending engine for the Cooper S. It is brand new and has not been proven (and the tought of it being co-developed with Chrysler makes me wonder as well). Hopefully, they have done their homework and will bring us a reliable engine that really hums.
The Cooper S is using a modfied version of the Tritec engine already in use in the MINI One and the MINI Cooper - as well as many non-US market Chrysler vehicles.

Other than a radiator cap problem that caused a MINI engine to overheat, I don't think anyone has discussed a single engine-related problem with a MINI here on MINI2.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
BruceK said:

Other than a radiator cap problem that caused a MINI engine to overheat, I don't think anyone has discussed a single engine-related problem with a MINI here on MINI2.
There was one that wasn't much good under water !!

:)

·
Registered
577 Posts
There have also been numerous complaints of a loud clatter on cold startup and one poster recently had the engine quit while on the highway at high speed. (That may have been due to an electrical fault.) It appears to be a fairly good design overall, compact with good power for its size, timing chain instead of a rubber belt, etc. Rumors are there will be a replacement in a few years when their contract with Tritec expires.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
mr.bill said:
There have also been numerous complaints of a loud clatter on cold startup and one poster recently had the engine quit while on the highway at high speed. (That may have been due to an electrical fault.) It appears to be a fairly good design overall, compact with good power for its size, timing chain instead of a rubber belt, etc. Rumors are there will be a replacement in a few years when their contract with Tritec expires.
Thats very very close to a positive post mr.bill..... you feeling ok ?

:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts